Heart/Doctor's appt

Old April 9th 08, 08:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Heart/Doctor's appt

Thank you for all the replies in the other thred - I have read them, but
haven't replied, Got that general early pg 'bleh' feeling

I went to the GP yesterday for my first pg appointment. I'm 6 weeks gone
now. I mentioned my heart and he said it was fairly common at this stage,
apparently it's the body shifting extra oxygen to the baby. He told me to
come back though if it got worse or if I was still concerned.

I asked about the midwifre referral, as we don't have midwives at our
practice. Basically, I just gave the receptionist my name, phone number and
LMP date, and the midwife will contact me - you never know, she might do it
before the baby's born ;-)

Otherwise, symptoms-wise, I'm not to bad. Whilst nauseous, I've not actually
had morning sickness yet. I've gone a bit picky with my food. For a week,
the only meat I could stand was fish, but I've gone right off that now, and
I can now just about only manage to eat duck - the opposite of Jessie, as I
craved meat with her! I'm also still eating chocolate and marmite - the two
things I really hated when I was pg last time! I'm getting a lot of
headaches though and I'm very tired, and I told Rob that this time it's
either a boy or twins as it's making feel just generally rotten lol.

Hope you're all well

Lucy x

Old April 9th 08, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jeni

On 9 Apr, 08:39, "lu-lu" wrote:
Thank you for all the replies in the other thred - I have read them, but
haven't replied, Got that general early pg 'bleh' feeling

I went to the GP yesterday for my first pg appointment. I'm 6 weeks gone
now. I mentioned my heart and he said it was fairly common at this stage,
apparently it's the body shifting extra oxygen to the baby. He told me to
come back though if it got worse or if I was still concerned.

Glad to hear all is well.

I asked about the midwifre referral, as we don't have midwives at our
practice. Basically, I just gave the receptionist my name, phone number and
LMP date, and the midwife will contact me - you never know, she might do it
before the baby's born ;-)

How odd. Have I missed something or is it someone else who will do the
checks, talk about the birth plan etc?

Otherwise, symptoms-wise, I'm not to bad. Whilst nauseous, I've not actually
had morning sickness yet. I've gone a bit picky with my food. For a week,
the only meat I could stand was fish, but I've gone right off that now, and
I can now just about only manage to eat duck - the opposite of Jessie, as I
craved meat with her! I'm also still eating chocolate and marmite - the two
things I really hated when I was pg last time! I'm getting a lot of
headaches though and I'm very tired, and I told Rob that this time it's
either a boy or twins as it's making feel just generally rotten lol.

Glad you aren't feeling too bad and the MS stays away. I never vomited
but the nausea was bad enough. Roll on the mid trimester and you'll
feel better.

Jeni
Old April 9th 08, 12:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Jeni" wrote in message
On 9 Apr, 08:39, "lu-lu" wrote:
I asked about the midwifre referral, as we don't have midwives at our
practice. Basically, I just gave the receptionist my name, phone number

and
LMP date, and the midwife will contact me - you never know, she might do

it
before the baby's born ;-)

How odd. Have I missed something or is it someone else who will do the
checks, talk about the birth plan etc?

Yeah, in the UK, we don't see the doctor (GP) much during the pregnancy as a
rule. On avereage, you get an appointment with a midwife every month or so,
and she does all the heartbeats, measurements, blood pressures and
birthplans etc. You get booked at the local hospital for ultrasounds etc.
When I was expecting DD, I was also under a consultant at the hospital too,
and saw them about once a mont or so too. I'm not sure where I'll have to go
to see the midwife, as last time she worked at the practice where I lived.
This time, I think, there's a different center that you go to. But yeah, the
doctor here doesn't do the referral, the receptionist does.

[...]

With DD, I had MS from 8 weeks til 4 months, and then from 7 months until 9
months! I'm hoping that this time it'll be as different as the rest of the
pregnancy has been so far!

Lucy x

Old April 9th 08, 06:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I went to the GP yesterday for my first pg appointment. I'm 6 weeks gone
now. I mentioned my heart and he said it was fairly common at this stage,
apparently it's the body shifting extra oxygen to the baby. He told me to
come back though if it got worse or if I was still concerned.

Please tell me he listened to it and asked a few more questions....
It is normal for your baseline heart rate to rise in pregnancy, but
we're talking 10 beats, not palpatations. If you feel it racing again,
do take your pulse so you've got some data to give to the doctor.

Cheers
Anne
Old April 11th 08, 11:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"lu-lu" wrote in message
[...]

I think you're meant to have access to a midwife from a certain time after
you've told them you're pregnant. Having got a "normal" child and had a
"normal" pregnancy, you'll be on the low risk (unless something comes up) so
you won't see the midwife as often as you did with #1.
After being high risk for #2 it was really nice to be on low risk for #3.
I got headaches with #2 and #3. With #3 they were real killers, I was on
full stretch of painkillers I could take for 24 hours before it would
completely go, and if I didn't take the painkillers through that length of
time the headache would return.
Craving meat is meant to be a boy thing (I think it's dairy for a girl). I
definitely felt worse with the girls than with my boy.
Debbie

Old April 15th 08, 06:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I think you're meant to have access to a midwife from a certain time after
you've told them you're pregnant.

I'm not sure there is any time frame on it, I think every women is
supposed to have a named midwife, whatever their risk or situation is,
though this doesn't universally happen, either because one is not
named and you see different ones in clinic, or you slip though a loop
hole somewhere - I had a friend who had an IVF twin pregnancy, so she
missed the whole going to the doctor to say you are pregnant thing and
also being handed over from the fertility people as a normal pregnancy
after the first scan because it wasn't normal anymore. You'd think
with nationalised health care, there would be one simple system for
how you got linked up, but every trust and even every surgery does it
differently. Hopefully what you want to avoid is a delay in midwife
contact when it's her that's expected to book a scan, then end up with
a dating scan that's too late to be accurate but have people attempt
to work from it! But then some areas only book you with a midwife once
you've had the first scan! If in doubt, pick up the phone call the
local maternity unit and ask to speak to whoever is in charge of
community midwifery and tell them you ain't got one!

Anne
Old April 15th 08, 08:34 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

I'm going to be chasing up my midwife soon. Still not had a call or
anything, don't want my details to have been written on a piece of paper,
and then used as a coster.... Seen worse, but either way it means I drop out
of the system!

Lucy x

Old April 15th 08, 09:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"lu-lu" wrote in message

I'm going to be chasing up my midwife soon. Still not had a call or
anything, don't want my details to have been written on a piece of paper,
and then used as a coster.... Seen worse, but either way it means I drop

out
of the system!

Lucy x

Ah, as it happens, she just called me. I've to go to the local community
hospital for an appointment with her on April 24th (I'll be 8w1d).

Lucy x

Old April 16th 08, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Ah, as it happens, she just called me. I've to go to the local community
hospital for an appointment with her on April 24th (I'll be 8w1d).

Great, that's a good time for a first appointment. I've noticed in
some places it's drifting later, though earlier doesn't usually mean
extra, I preferred seeing the midwife early, having time to think and
call and ask questions if I needed, rather than seeing them at 12
weeks and suddenly having all this information thrown at you and tests
being really soon.

Cheers
Anne