Cloth diaper question

Old June 24th 08, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default Cloth diaper question

"Nikki" wrote in message
news:edadnR6EOuarRMLVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@prairiewave. com...
xkatx wrote:
For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just
the material.

I'm out of the loop. Is this for a current baby or a new baby on the way?

lol kind of for both. Both girls are still in diapers, but I am so hoping
DD1 (who's going to be 3 in 6 weeks!) will be trained soon. DD2 is still in
diapers and a new baby is on the way, but not for quite a while yet. Maybe
I'll even get lucky with DD2 being potty trained by the time DD1 is lol

I used Diaper Service Quality Chinese prefolds which are made of cotton,
work great, and are cheap. IIRC they were $18 for a dozen.

They worked great for me for at least 6mos. I can't remember when exactly
I went up to the next size but it was 6mos or later. You do need a cover
with them, which I no longer have so you'd have to purchase.

I have a ton of them and you can have them for shipping if you don't mind
used. Let me know if you are interested.

Are these prefolds with velcro or with pins? How much would shipping be?
That could be an arm and a leg depending where you're located - I'm towards
the west coast in Canada

Old June 24th 08, 11:58 AM posted to misc.kids
NL

xkatx schrieb:

I'm trying to picture what you're explaining.
Are these like a version of a regular fitted diaper?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7801778...7605785152130/

There you go, including folding instructions ;-)

cu
nicole
Old June 24th 08, 12:58 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"xkatx" wrote in

Both girls
are still in diapers, although DD1 is in the process of
potty training - which she STILL shows absolutely NO
interest in. Still.

if she's not interested, then *she's* not potty training at
all. you might getting trained, but she's not.
Boo trained himself at 4.25 years. no effort on my part.
patience is key.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old June 24th 08, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"xkatx" wrote in

Both girls
are still in diapers, although DD1 is in the process of
potty training - which she STILL shows absolutely NO
interest in. Still.

if she's not interested, then *she's* not potty training at
all. you might getting trained, but she's not.
Boo trained himself at 4.25 years. no effort on my part.
patience is key.
lee

She will go if I physically bring her up and sit her down. Then she will
pee each and every time. I mean she shows absolutely no interest because
she's not even close to going on her own or even saying she has to go (and I
do know some kids her age that are already saying they have to go and also
some that don't) I also know others her age that won't even go when taken
to a toilet.
Lately, though, she's been saying poop. And grabbing at her bottom, and
when I check, she has a clean diaper so off to the potty we go - where
she'll sit until the cows come home and nothing happens but as soon as that
diaper (or panties or training pants) go on, in those is where she'll go.
I've been putting some effort in, but it's just a bit hard for me to
constantly do the stairs to the potty. I've already told myself that way
way or another, she will not be in diapers when she goes to school lol

Old June 24th 08, 03:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

xkatx wrote:

Are these prefolds with velcro or with pins? How much would shipping be?
That could be an arm and a leg depending where you're located - I'm towards
the west coast in Canada

You can use them inside a cover that velcro's with nothing. I prefered
to use a snappi (best things ever) to keep them closed and them put the
cover on over them. I had a hard time pinning them because they are so
thick. Snappi's are wonderful inventions though.

I didn't realize you were in Canada. I've never mailed anything to
Canada so I have no idea about the shipping. I'm in South Dakota.
Your kids might be to big for these smaller ones. I do have some larger
ones as well. I use some but only cloth diaper part time now so I have
larger ones available too.
Old June 24th 08, 03:57 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Nikki wrote in
news:e4adnd0L2s69nvzVnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@prairiewave. com:

You can use them inside a cover that velcro's with nothing.
I prefered to use a snappi (best things ever) to keep them
closed and them put the cover on over them. I had a hard
time pinning them because they are so thick. Snappi's are
wonderful inventions though.

aren't they! they came out just about when Boo stopped using
diapers. much faster than pinning!

I didn't realize you were in Canada. I've never mailed
anything to Canada so I have no idea about the shipping.
I'm in South Dakota. Your kids might be to big for these
smaller ones. I do have some larger ones as well. I use
some but only cloth diaper part time now so I have larger
ones available too.

are Boo's diapers making the rounds? postage to Canada isn't
that bad, but she may have to pay a tax. i think a box of
diapers might not be allowed through as a 'gift', although
they are used so you could give them a low value, i think...
been awahile sice i mailed anything to Canada too.
lee
Old June 24th 08, 08:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

enigma wrote:

are Boo's diapers making the rounds? postage to Canada isn't
that bad, but she may have to pay a tax. i think a box of
diapers might not be allowed through as a 'gift', although
they are used so you could give them a low value, i think...
been awahile sice i mailed anything to Canada too.
lee

Yes!!! They are still going strong They really saved the day for
us. I had purchased a few more so I could be sloth like with the
laundry, lol, so I have a lot.

I am more then willing to box them up and send them off. Let me
see...can I just give an email address here with the earth swallowing me
up

--
Nikki, mama to 4 boys.
Old June 25th 08, 01:02 AM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

xkatx wrote:
"Tai" wrote in message
Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a
great material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if
possible, something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track
down that won't cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great
brands or anything, just the material.

I used the old cotton Birdseye (?) diapers. Gauze I think. Cheap
and soft and hardwearing, but they required that you fold them. That
also meant that you COULD fold them so that you didn't have to
keep buying different sizes. Just fold differently. I don't know
if you can get them anymore.
That's what my mother and sister used. I don't know whether you can
buy them anymore, either. When I had my first 12 years ago I
couldn't find them. I know what you mean about folding, since I'm
the eldest of 6 and did plenty of diaper-folding in my younger days. I
still have trouble connecting "cloth diapers" and "sizes" in my
head.

Oh, me too! I feel very old-fashioned when I see the huge variety of
pre-folded and shaped nappies that are available nowadays and I can still
turn a square of cotton into a nappy for a newborn all the way up to a 2.5
year old boy or girl. You can still get the plain squares in Australia,
though, and they continue to be a popular cloth solution.

My youngest child is seven and I still had the 2 dozen flannelette and 1
dozen toweling squares I began using with his 18 year old brother. They
washed and washed and barely showed signs of wear through three children.
Cheap too! And versatile as burp cloths and mini-sheets or head cloths in
their bassinettes and cots. I used plastic pants and Velcro fastening
covers but preferred the humble plastic pants on price, ease of laundering
and containment. I also designed and sewed a half dozen fitted-style
nappies out of cotton toweling and Velcro. These had a long piece that
could be folded up to make a thick pad, but were fast to dry and could be
padded further for nights.

I don't think I'd like some of the heavily padded current styles because
it seems to me they'd take a lot of rinsing to get them properly clean and
would also take far too long to dry, on a line or in a dryer.

As I remember I also had some large cotton gauze squares, as well, and
they were especially good for my summer newborns. I started with nappy
pins (points stuck in a bar of soap to help them slip through the cotton)
and went on to plastic clips and then "T" fasteners, which I liked best.

(Actually, I really liked Huggies best!)

I have the kind that you need to fold. I don't care much for folding,
mainly because I just don't have the time or patience to be folding diapers
all the time. Both girls are still in diapers, although DD1 is in the
process of potty training - which she STILL shows absolutely NO interest in.
Still.

I see your problem - you need 3 *older* children to handle all the
diaper-folding! (Worked for my mother - she even taught my 3-year-old
brother how to iron them first.)

Clisby

Old June 25th 08, 03:48 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"Clisby" wrote in message
xkatx wrote:
"Tai" wrote in message
Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

[...]

LOL but that sounds good at first... then I think... ok, wait til I have 3
to fold diapers - ok, check. I have that, partially, just need the folding
diaper part down. Now, say they're older, then start all over again from
the beginning (and this would be, most likely, once the others are out of
diapers) just because I have diaper folders :P lol
Hm... it might be a good idea! hehe

Old June 25th 08, 03:49 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"NL" wrote in message
xkatx schrieb:

I'm trying to picture what you're explaining.
Are these like a version of a regular fitted diaper?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7801778...7605785152130/

There you go, including folding instructions ;-)

cu
nicole

That's kind of what I have going on, although mine don't look so great and
I've found that hemming right around the edges to hold it together better
(and give it a proper shape that stays) is best done on the inside of the
elastic that I put in.
Still in the trial and error stage, but with your pictures, I have a few
ideas as well now!

Another cloth diaper question... xkatx Breastfeeding 15 May 15th 06 12:22 PM
Cloth Diaper Questions Nikki Pregnancy 13 February 22nd 06 05:11 PM
Cloth diaper question [email protected] Pregnancy 8 May 20th 05 08:06 PM
cloth swim diaper? Kim E General 25 January 13th 05 02:59 AM
Cloth diaper question Elizabeth H Bonesteel Pregnancy 17 August 4th 04 09:35 PM