reason for avoiding fast heart rate

Old November 22nd 08, 01:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default reason for avoiding fast heart rate

so, in some pregnancy books I've seen advice about exercise suggesting
to not have the heart rate go above a certain point, I assumed the
reason for this was that with no cooling mechanism, this avoids the baby
getting it's core temperature too high. I was just wondering if that was
really the reason, or could the high heart rate itself be a problem?

Cheers
Anne
Old November 22nd 08, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

Anne Rogers wrote:
so, in some pregnancy books I've seen advice about exercise suggesting
to not have the heart rate go above a certain point, I assumed the
reason for this was that with no cooling mechanism, this avoids the baby
getting it's core temperature too high. I was just wondering if that was
really the reason, or could the high heart rate itself be a problem?

Cheers
Anne

I haven't researched this recently, but the recommendations seem have
changed over the years I've been having babies.

When I was pregnant with my first in '98, there were strict rules about
keeping your heart rate down below a set low number. It was hard to
have fun, even in the pool, without cheating.

By the time I was pregnant with my 9 mo, the heart rate rule had been
replaced by a perceived exertion rule.

--Betsy
Old November 22nd 08, 03:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I haven't researched this recently, but the recommendations seem have
changed over the years I've been having babies.

When I was pregnant with my first in '98, there were strict rules about
keeping your heart rate down below a set low number. It was hard to
have fun, even in the pool, without cheating.

By the time I was pregnant with my 9 mo, the heart rate rule had been
replaced by a perceived exertion rule.

Obviously I have old books! Even when it was the heart rate rule, do you
know if it was thought to be something fundamental about that rate or if
it was a measure of the perceived exertion, that just isn't all that
accurate?

Cheers
Anne
Old November 22nd 08, 04:07 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
so, in some pregnancy books I've seen advice about exercise suggesting to
not have the heart rate go above a certain point, I assumed the reason for
this was that with no cooling mechanism, this avoids the baby getting it's
core temperature too high. I was just wondering if that was really the
reason, or could the high heart rate itself be a problem?

Cheers
Anne

I might be totally misreading and really missing the point, but are these
books suggesting a person should avoid some exercise during pregnancy
because it raises the heart rate?

Right after DD2 was born, I went back to running. I actually continued
jogging/running into this pregnancy, but it was until this summer (as I
wasn't able to get out due to DS being out of school and no childcare) and
now I'm back at it after the summer break but have gone down to nothing more
than a jog... Although I would have been 2-3 months only during the summer,
and just a couple days shy of 30 weeks right now.

I had asked my OB if continuing my running/jogging would be alright, and she
said there was no concerns about anything, but do the obvious and not over
do anything....

Old November 22nd 08, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I might be totally misreading and really missing the point, but are these
books suggesting a person should avoid some exercise during pregnancy
because it raises the heart rate?

Right after DD2 was born, I went back to running. I actually continued
jogging/running into this pregnancy, but it was until this summer (as I
wasn't able to get out due to DS being out of school and no childcare) and
now I'm back at it after the summer break but have gone down to nothing more
than a jog... Although I would have been 2-3 months only during the summer,
and just a couple days shy of 30 weeks right now.

I had asked my OB if continuing my running/jogging would be alright, and she
said there was no concerns about anything, but do the obvious and not over
do anything....

Most sources that I've seen that have very much to say about it seem to
think you shouldn't be doing much of a cardiovascular work out, but
sticking in what is labelled as the fat burning zone on cardio machines.
When I was pregnant with DD, that was 150 for me and at the time I
could do a pretty brisk uphill walk for twenty minutes and not go above
that. So it's very definitely not against exercise, more against extreme
exercise, like it's ok to jog, but not run a marathon. However I've
never really understood the reason for this the temperature of the baby
seems to be the main thing sited and I have seen some evidence for
negative effects of this, but I don't recall how they measured it, how
they got the temp up and how long it was for. Our ancestors probably
worked pretty hard at least some of the day, a lot of the energy saving
devices we have now had intense alternatives.

My issue is now that in the last year or so (or possibly longer) my
heart rate seems to run higher and goes up high with little exertion,
making me wonder of that rate itself was the issue or what that
indicated about other things. I wasn't planning this pregnancy, so I
didn't ask my cardiologist in advance and haven't got round to
scheduling anything with her, I talked it through with my primary care
doc, she thought I should continue to take meds as needed, which is more
for comfort than anything else, but I didn't get on top of any of the
reasoning behind that, other than that the occasional dose of beta
blocker doesn't appear to do any harm and may do good, what I don't know
is whether or not if that fails to work there is any problem beyond how
I feel.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

betsy wrote:
snip

I keep reading Banty instead of betsy and every time I think "What the
hey! She's only got one, doesn't she?!" and then I realize my mistake *lol*

cu
nicole
Old November 25th 08, 11:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

NL wrote:
betsy wrote:
snip
3469861400000062

I keep reading Banty instead of betsy and every time I think "What the
hey! She's only got one, doesn't she?!" and then I realize my mistake *lol*

cu
nicole

If I posted more, it probably wouldn't happen. It is much easier to
lurk, especially these days since rapid keystrokes wake my baby.

--Betsy
Old November 26th 08, 11:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

betsy wrote:
NL wrote:
betsy wrote:
snip
3469861400000062

I keep reading Banty instead of betsy and every time I think "What the
hey! She's only got one, doesn't she?!" and then I realize my mistake
*lol*

cu
nicole

If I posted more, it probably wouldn't happen. It is much easier to
lurk, especially these days since rapid keystrokes wake my baby.

Hehe. Well, Banty doesn't even post on m.k.p. so I don't know what it is.

My daughter goes to sleep when I type for a while. Same with
mouseclicks. I found that out when she wouldn't go to sleep and I had
her on my lap while I played a computergame, all of a sudden she was
asleep. Hm, maybe I should record that sound........

cu
nicole

Normal heart rate? xkatx Pregnancy 5 June 9th 06 03:25 AM
Question On Fetal Heart Rate MetalHeadsFXP Pregnancy 3 December 10th 05 02:54 AM
Scared about bounding pulse, heart rate DL Pregnancy 5 October 6th 04 05:10 AM
Fetal Heart rate Shivakumar Pregnancy 1 April 2nd 04 07:44 PM