Losing too much weight?

Old September 5th 03, 08:45 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Losing too much weight?

DS is two days old and had a check up at the pediatrician two hours ago.
His birthweight was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and at the doctor's office today,
weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces - right after a bm. They asked me to bring
him back tomorrow morning, and said that if he has lost any more weight
they are going to want me to supplement with formula. Is 8 ounces
really a concern? I thought losing up to 10% of birthweight was
normal - that would be 7 pounds, 4 ounces. DS has been nursing great -
very little nipple pain, nurses often and very actively, and my milk has
even come in already, he's been nursing so much. He's had tons of wet
diapers, one bm yesterday and two today. The big bm right before he was
weighed today was already looking transitional from meconium to regular
stool. I can't believe there's a problem here. Opinions?
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old September 5th 03, 09:10 PM
Mary W.

"Cheryl S." wrote:

DS is two days old and had a check up at the pediatrician two hours ago.
His birthweight was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and at the doctor's office today,
weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces - right after a bm. They asked me to bring
him back tomorrow morning, and said that if he has lost any more weight
they are going to want me to supplement with formula. Is 8 ounces
really a concern? I thought losing up to 10% of birthweight was
normal - that would be 7 pounds, 4 ounces. DS has been nursing great -
very little nipple pain, nurses often and very actively, and my milk has
even come in already, he's been nursing so much. He's had tons of wet
diapers, one bm yesterday and two today. The big bm right before he was
weighed today was already looking transitional from meconium to regular
stool. I can't believe there's a problem here. Opinions?

You are right, 10% is 7lb4oz (just in case you wanted someone to
check your math and you needn't worry yet. Geez, he's
only two days old! Is he still passing meconium? Plus he was probably
weighed at the hospital and then at your doctors - two different scales
right? They could be off from each other by a couple of ounces.
I'd be inclined to think that this might be the issue.

You can take him back if you'd like to get an accurate measure of
what he's loosing. And you might want to keep track of the number
of wet and poopy diapers (I vaguely remember that they should
be wetting the same number of diapers as they are days old in
the beginning), that'll give you amunition against supplementing.
Giving formula should not be done lightly (anyone have that
webpage about the one bottle of formula, and gut closure?),
risks and benefits should be weighed.

If they insist on supplementing, get a second opinion (a neighbor
of mine did this and ended up switching to the new pediatrician).
I suspect as soon as your milk comes in he'll be gaining great. Watch
his output and look for dehydration signs.

Mary

Old September 5th 03, 10:09 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Cheryl S. wrote:

DS is two days old and had a check up at the pediatrician two hours ago.
His birthweight was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and at the doctor's office today,
weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces - right after a bm. They asked me to bring
him back tomorrow morning, and said that if he has lost any more weight
they are going to want me to supplement with formula. Is 8 ounces
really a concern? I thought losing up to 10% of birthweight was
normal - that would be 7 pounds, 4 ounces. DS has been nursing great -
very little nipple pain, nurses often and very actively, and my milk has
even come in already, he's been nursing so much. He's had tons of wet
diapers, one bm yesterday and two today. The big bm right before he was
weighed today was already looking transitional from meconium to regular
stool. I can't believe there's a problem here. Opinions?

I was told that babies lose up to 10% of their birthweight within the
first week. If DS is only two days old, I wouldn't worry. He'll
probably start gaining by the end of the week.

Congrats!
Jeanne
Old September 5th 03, 11:20 PM
Belphoebe

"Mary W." wrote in message

Giving formula should not be done lightly (anyone have that
webpage about the one bottle of formula, and gut closure?),
risks and benefits should be weighed.

Is this what you had in mind?

http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

Belphoebe

Old September 5th 03, 11:46 PM
Jacqui

Cheryl S. wibbled

DS is two days old and had a check up at the pediatrician two
hours ago. His birthweight was 8 pounds, 1 ounce, and at the
doctor's office today, weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces - right after a
bm. They asked me to bring him back tomorrow morning, and said
that if he has lost any more weight they are going to want me to
supplement with formula. Is 8 ounces really a concern? I
thought losing up to 10% of birthweight was normal - that would be
7 pounds, 4 ounces. DS has been nursing great - very little
nipple pain, nurses often and very actively, and my milk has even
come in already, he's been nursing so much. He's had tons of wet
diapers, one bm yesterday and two today. The big bm right before
he was weighed today was already looking transitional from
meconium to regular stool. I can't believe there's a problem
here. Opinions? --

T went from 7lb11oz down to 7lb4oz after birth and the paediatrician's
verdict was "that's a good amount, what we'd expect". So I'd be
astonished at 7lb9oz being considered low, in the circumstances.

Jac
Old September 6th 03, 12:01 AM
Larry McMahan

Belphoebe writes:

: "Mary W." wrote in message
: ...
:
: Giving formula should not be done lightly (anyone have that
: webpage about the one bottle of formula, and gut closure?),
: risks and benefits should be weighed.

: Is this what you had in mind?

: http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

: Belphoebe

An even better resource (IM[NS]HO) is:
http://www.health-e-learning.com/bre..._breastfed.htm

Larry
Old September 6th 03, 12:05 AM
Cheryl S.

Michelle Podnar wrote in message
.. .
I wouldn't supplement with formula if I were you.
Jaden is only 2 days old, and if he is having the
correct amount of wet and poopy diapers, and
seems happy, I wouldn't sweat it. Keep an eye
on the weight, and if say by next week or so, if
he doesn't begin to gain, I might re-evaluate then
(just as long as he stays hydrated, is not showing
signs of jaundice, and isn't too sleepy). As an
earlier poster mentioned, the scales between the
hospital and the dr office might just be off

He had one poopy diaper his first night home, and has had three today.
Every time I feed him (at least every three hours, usually every two) I
change his diaper and it is always wet. He is not at all jaundiced, and
has long quiet alert states. Are there any other signs of dehydration I
should watch for?
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Old September 6th 03, 01:09 AM
Michelle Podnar

I wouldn't supplement with formula if I were you. Jaden is only 2 days old,
and if he is having the correct amount of wet and poopy diapers, and seems
happy, I wouldn't sweat it. Keep an eye on the weight, and if say by next
week or so, if he doesn't begin to gain, I might re-evaluate then (just as
long as he stays hydrated, is not showing signs of jaundice, and isn't too
sleepy). As an earlier poster mentioned, the scales between the hospital
and the dr office might just be off

HTH
--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002

Old September 6th 03, 02:28 AM
New York Jen

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
[...]

Cheryl,

CONGRATULATIONS! I love the name Jaden! I've even been thinking about it
if I have another boy.

That does not sound like too much of a loss and certainly not a reason to
supplement with formula.

Good luck,

Jen