sore, calloused nipple

Old March 18th 06, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default sore, calloused nipple

Hi, this is my first time posting, but I've been reading a lot of
helpful posts since I started breastfeeding. Thanks so much...it's
incredibly reassuring to know there's others out there having problems
like me, and working through them!

My DS is 11 weeks, and I've been having pain since I started
breastfeeding him (at 4 weeks). My letdown is painful, so that's part
of it, but my nipple gets REALLY sore off and on, about every 3 weeks,
and makes latching on, letdown, and suckling excruciating for the first
couple of minutes. After awhile, his nursing becomes bearable, but
after he comes off, my breast throbs and aches, and makes me dread his
next feeding. This is particularly on my right side, where the upper
tip of my nipple is calloused, whitish, and sometimes peeling. I've
been to two lactation consultants, who've checked my positioning and
latching. I suspect that it may be because he likes to tug on my nipple
during letdown, and also, when he's done, instead of coming off
politely, likes to jerk his face away from my breast (and ripping at my
nipple in the process). This is my first child, and I have no idea
what's normal. Does anyone else have this problem, and what have you
done about it?

thanks,
sheree

Old March 18th 06, 12:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sheree writes:
[...]

the fact tha it hurts at letdown, then again after nursing makes me
suspect thrust. It would not hurt to treat speculatively with an
antifungal. Thrush would be consistent with the white color.

Larry

Old March 18th 06, 12:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sheree wrote:
This is particularly on my right side, where the upper
tip of my nipple is calloused, whitish, and sometimes peeling. I've
been to two lactation consultants, who've checked my positioning and
latching. I suspect that it may be because he likes to tug on my nipple
during letdown, and also, when he's done, instead of coming off
politely, likes to jerk his face away from my breast (and ripping at my
nipple in the process). This is my first child, and I have no idea
what's normal. Does anyone else have this problem, and what have you
done about it?

I tend to always suspect thrush when there is pain, and agree with
Larry that you could try treating for it and see if it improves.

My other thought was vasospasms, see he
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

The description of your nipples is similar to what mine look
like, and nursing is usually pain free for me. When I do start
to have pain, the first thing I do is treat for thrush with a
lotrimin cream on my nipples a couple of times a day to see if
things improve.

Good luck,

Mary W.

Old March 19th 06, 04:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Mary W." wrote in message
nk.net..

I tend to always suspect thrush when there is pain, and agree with
Larry that you could try treating for it and see if it improves.

My other thought was vasospasms, see he
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

The description of your nipples is similar to what mine look
like, and nursing is usually pain free for me. When I do start
to have pain, the first thing I do is treat for thrush with a
lotrimin cream on my nipples a couple of times a day to see if
things improve.

Good luck,

Mary W.

I was thinking vasospasm as well based on the blanching of the nipple and
the timing of the pain. Definitely doesn't hurt to treat for thrush as
well.

Carrie & Jazz

Old March 19th 06, 06:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I thought vasospasm and thrush would be on both nipples, not just one?
I'm only having problems with the right side.

Today a piece of skin from my right nipple came off, from the upper
part where it was calloused, and left a red area with a tiny blood clot
in the middle. It really hurts. If it is thrush, can the cream be
applied on wounds such as this?

I forgot to mention that my DS also has a slight tongue-tie, and clucks
when he nurses. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it; the LC
advise me to get it clipped, but I'd like to try and see if he can work
around it first, because it seems so extreme. I mean, they're born to
breastfeed, so why we need to alter them? Has anyone else had a
slightly tongue-tied baby and had these problems?

Thanks!
Sheree

Old March 19th 06, 08:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"sheree" wrote in message
ups.com...

around it first, because it seems so extreme. I mean, they're born to
breastfeed, so why we need to alter them?

It's great to see someone at least consider the possibility that they're not
a victim of some evil rosemary's baby. Too often these days, mothers are
quick to blame their children.

Not knowing the situation, based on what you've said if anything I'd blame
you. Frankly, whoever got you pregnant doesn't munch on your nipples
enough. They should be battle worn well before you give birth.. Maybe
think a bit more before you spread your legs like that again.

Old March 19th 06, 12:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sheree wrote:
I thought vasospasm and thrush would be on both nipples, not just one?
I'm only having problems with the right side.

Thrush, I would expect on both, but that may not be a hard and
fast rule. Vasospasms can be due to latch, and if baby is latching
differently on the right than the left (They often favor one side
over the other) that may be it.

Today a piece of skin from my right nipple came off, from the upper
part where it was calloused, and left a red area with a tiny blood clot
in the middle. It really hurts. If it is thrush, can the cream be
applied on wounds such as this?

Yes. I had huge cracks from DD2 (it turns out it was thrush, as
we saw white in her mouth. As soon as I started treating, they
healed up).

I forgot to mention that my DS also has a slight tongue-tie, and clucks
when he nurses. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it; the LC
advise me to get it clipped, but I'd like to try and see if he can work
around it first, because it seems so extreme. I mean, they're born to
breastfeed, so why we need to alter them? Has anyone else had a
slightly tongue-tied baby and had these problems?

Tongue-tie can really mess with a latch. Have you tried different holds
for nursing? that can change where pressure is happening and give you
some relief.

Mary W.

Old March 19th 06, 02:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"sheree" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought vasospasm and thrush would be on both nipples, not just one?
I'm only having problems with the right side.

Thrush can sometimes only occur on one side. It's not as common though.
As Mary W said below, the vasospasms can be caused by diffrences in latch
from one side to the other. Tongue Tie is a definite hinderance to a
correct latch. Because of the tie, baby is not able to extend his tongue
far enough out to pull the nipple up to the roof of his mouth. What you end
up with is a poor latch and the pain that you are describing.

While I understand wanting to work around the issue, I'd personally have to
agree with the LC about getting it clipped especially if it is causing you
problems. I know very few Mom's who have been able to be successful
exclusively nursing a baby with tongue tie. Doesn't mean you can't do it
and I don't want to discourage you, but please keep a very close eye on your
supply.

Carrie & Jazz

Old March 19th 06, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"sheree" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought vasospasm and thrush would be on both nipples, not just one?
I'm only having problems with the right side.

I had thrush just with my left side, and it was missed and then miss
diagnosed because it was just the one side. I actually stopped feeding that
side and started pumping instead because the pain was excruciating. It
wasn't till the pain started on the other side that it was diagnosed.
Abby's only sign of it was one tiny dot of thrush in her upper mouth about
the size of a fullstop (period)

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
"I'm a big girl cause I go to school kindy"

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
Took her first steps on her 1st Birthday.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old March 20th 06, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sheree writes:
: I thought vasospasm and thrush would be on both nipples, not just one?
: I'm only having problems with the right side.

Thrush is certainly localized as it is a fungal infection.

: Today a piece of skin from my right nipple came off, from the upper
: part where it was calloused, and left a red area with a tiny blood clot
: in the middle. It really hurts. If it is thrush, can the cream be
: applied on wounds such as this?

Yes.

: I forgot to mention that my DS also has a slight tongue-tie, and clucks
: when he nurses. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it; the LC
: advise me to get it clipped, but I'd like to try and see if he can work
: around it first, because it seems so extreme. I mean, they're born to
: breastfeed, so why we need to alter them? Has anyone else had a
: slightly tongue-tied baby and had these problems?

I would suggest clipping. It is such a minor procedure, and the
results are so dramatic.

: Thanks!
: Sheree

Good luck,
Larry

Sore nipple - at 13 1/2 months Cathy Breastfeeding 2 January 5th 06 03:22 PM
misc.kids FAQ on breastpumps, Part 1/2 Beth Weiss Info and FAQ's 1 April 3rd 04 12:36 PM
Sore nipple - HELP!! :'(( RJ Breastfeeding 8 March 29th 04 07:00 PM
Nipple Shields Alison Breastfeeding 12 August 15th 03 12:55 PM
BF advice Ben Breastfeeding 17 July 25th 03 07:00 PM