How Physical Discipline Can Escalate to Child Abuse

Old July 10th 07, 06:35 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids
Anonymous[_4_]

Default How Physical Discipline Can Escalate to Child Abuse

Conventional wisdom says that physical punishment that does not "cross the line"
is harmless, but harm is only done when one goes over the line.

What are the effects of coming very, very close to the line? Being almost
abusive, but not quite? Stopping just a hairline short of being abusive? Is it
completely harmless and perfectly okay to be almost-but-not-quite abusive?
Old July 12th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids
Dan Sullivan

On Jul 10, 1:35 am, Anonymous wrote:
Conventional wisdom says that physical punishment that does not "cross the line"
is harmless, but harm is only done when one goes over the line.

Spanking is supposed to be three swats or less with an open hand on
the behind to GET THE ATTENTION of a misbehaving child.

NOT to cause real pain or leave bruises.

What are the effects of coming very, very close to the line? Being almost
abusive, but not quite? Stopping just a hairline short of being abusive? Is it
completely harmless and perfectly okay to be almost-but-not-quite abusive?

What goes thru a child's mind that gets spanked?

This person, who I love with all my heart, hits me and makes me cry.

Can they help but think it's OK to hit people they love... let alone
people they don't like?

Spanking is always to be a last resort.

Old July 12th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids
firemonkey

On Jul 12, 8:20 am, Dan Sullivan wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:35 am, Anonymous wrote:

Conventional wisdom says that physical punishment that does not "cross the line"
is harmless, but harm is only done when one goes over the line.

Spanking is supposed to be three swats or less with an open hand on
the behind to GET THE ATTENTION of a misbehaving child.

NOT to cause real pain or leave bruises.

What are the effects of coming very, very close to the line? Being almost
abusive, but not quite? Stopping just a hairline short of being abusive? Is it
completely harmless and perfectly okay to be almost-but-not-quite abusive?

What goes thru a child's mind that gets spanked?

This person, who I love with all my heart, hits me and makes me cry.

Can they help but think it's OK to hit people they love... let alone
people they don't like?

Spanking is always to be a last resort.

I would like to see some data on women who were hit by their fathers
and grow up to have relationships with men that are physical abusive.
Later, when I have more time I will look into it. But it seems to me
that a girl growing up, being hit by her protector, someone she loves
and is supposed to trust, will seek that out as an adult. We all ask,
when we hear of a woman staying in an abusive relationship, why does
she stay? Perhaps she was conditioned to think it is normal for a man
to be violent with her, that "its not that bad".
Thoughts?
Firemonkey

Old July 12th 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Anonymous" wrote in message
Conventional wisdom says that physical punishment that does not "cross the
line"
is harmless, but harm is only done when one goes over the line.

If this is truely conventional wisdom, then conventional wisdom is wrong.
But then, I have a very low bar for "causing harm" when it comes to small
children.