swimsuit ordeal

Old June 13th 08, 11:47 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

Default swimsuit ordeal

Finding a swimsuit for my 11 and 13 year olds is an ordeal. The children's
sizes are too small, but when I go to the junior sizes, the suits are too
big up top! My girls are tall for their ages, but do other people have this
problem? Why is it hard to find larger sized suits without cups in the top?
Oh I get so irritated every summer.
Then I have to deal with finding one that doesn't look like something out of
the playboy swimsuit issue lol.
Marie

Old June 14th 08, 12:03 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"MarieD" wrote in message ...
Finding a swimsuit for my 11 and 13 year olds is an ordeal. The children's
sizes are too small, but when I go to the junior sizes, the suits are too
big up top! My girls are tall for their ages, but do other people have
this problem? Why is it hard to find larger sized suits without cups in
the top? Oh I get so irritated every summer.
Then I have to deal with finding one that doesn't look like something out
of the playboy swimsuit issue lol.
Marie

Try swim team swimsuits. They don't have cups or look like something out of
Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue, and are available in a wide variety of
sizes, since many swimmers begin training at age 5-6. I will warn you that
they tend to be tight and not fit well unless they're wet, because they're
designed to reduce water drag, but they're modest, flattering (especially if
you have a less than perfect figure, because they tend to smooth everything
out, but that's not usually an issue for 11 and 13 yr olds).

They're not cheap compared to department store swimsuits, but they hold up
really well (when I did team swimming, hand me downs through a half dozen or
so girls were common-all of us had multiple suits because we were practicing
twice a day, and putting on a still wet swimsuit is icky).

Old June 14th 08, 12:35 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

Try swim team swimsuits. They don't have cups or look like something out
of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue, and are available in a wide
variety of sizes, since many swimmers begin training at age 5-6. I will
warn you that they tend to be tight and not fit well unless they're wet,
because they're designed to reduce water drag, but they're modest,
flattering (especially if you have a less than perfect figure, because
they tend to smooth everything out, but that's not usually an issue for 11
and 13 yr olds).

Agreed. I'm flat-chested and the only suits that flatter me are the ones
that are shaped like the ones the competitive swimmers wear. However, I can
get those just about anywhere. They don't have to actually be the
competitive swimsuits, just shaped somewhat like them.

Old June 14th 08, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"toypup" wrote:

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

Try swim team swimsuits. They don't have cups or look like something out
of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue, and are available in a wide
variety of sizes, since many swimmers begin training at age 5-6. I will
warn you that they tend to be tight and not fit well unless they're wet,
because they're designed to reduce water drag, but they're modest,
flattering (especially if you have a less than perfect figure, because
they tend to smooth everything out, but that's not usually an issue for 11
and 13 yr olds).

Agreed. I'm flat-chested and the only suits that flatter me are the ones
that are shaped like the ones the competitive swimmers wear. However, I can
get those just about anywhere. They don't have to actually be the
competitive swimsuits, just shaped somewhat like them.

Called tank suits, although they aren't anything like the suits I had
to wear for swimming in PE in the 50s. They come in regular and
long so if your girls are long in the body, they can get extra length.
They are however one piece. If they want two piece, try something
like the Lands End catalog or one of those places where you can order
one bottom size and a different top size.

Old June 14th 08, 08:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
"MarieD" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, both I and my 12-year-old daughter wear Speedo suits. Mine is 3
years old and still in fine shape; hers is new since she keeps growing.
Lands End appears to have some nice ones, too. Sears sometimes
carries Lands End clothes, so you could check there.

Clisby

Old June 14th 08, 08:59 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"MarieD" wrote in message ...
Finding a swimsuit for my 11 and 13 year olds is an ordeal. The children's
sizes are too small, but when I go to the junior sizes, the suits are too
big up top! My girls are tall for their ages, but do other people have
this problem? Why is it hard to find larger sized suits without cups in
the top? Oh I get so irritated every summer.
Then I have to deal with finding one that doesn't look like something out
of the playboy swimsuit issue lol.
Marie

I have a friend with a 12 year old in a similar situation. She's too big
for girls' sizes, too small for even women's petites. So, yes, I know there
are others with this problem!
Swimsuits are so touchy, it seems... I even found that out last summer for
myself, and I'm not really in any strange size group. I couldn't find a
1-piece to fit me and had to resort to a 2-piece. Then the problem came
when finding a size that actually fit. Medium bottoms fit me great, but
medium top was not a chance. Large size top was still horrible - I felt
like the Little Mermaid with her tiny seashells covering just the absolute
necessary and nothing else - not a good fit. Then I went to the plus sizes,
which I found the tops were good cup wise but extremely large around.
I sorta feel your pain, but a good idea might be what others suggested - the
swim team suits might be a great idea, and I think I might even pass that
bit of info on to my friend that has a heck of a time finding any clothes
for her 12 year old.

Old June 15th 08, 12:57 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article 1rV4k.9498$Jx.3043@pd7urf1no, xkatx says...

"MarieD" wrote in message ...
[...]

Clothing were not cut for the buxom are they. I was at Jazzercise this morning
- the instructor was giving away some of her tops. Me and a worker there were
laughing over them - yeah suuuuure we can wear one of *those*.

As for the bathing suit, I'd see what Land's End has.

Banty

Old June 15th 08, 04:38 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"MarieD" wrote in message
[...]

It's just a little annoying. I never considered my average C cup to be a
huge set of boobs. Then after DD2 was born, fairly close after DD1, I found
that my boobs got a little too big. The fact that she's still nursing,
almost 19 months old now, doesn't seem to help with my upper end going to a
more 'normal' and 'comfortable' size for me and what I think would go with
the rest of my body.
Oh well. Breastfeeding IS nature's own way of breast enhancement!

Old June 15th 08, 12:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article f905k.9863$Jx.5178@pd7urf1no, xkatx says...

"MarieD" wrote in message
[...]

Yep. I went from a D to a DD. Which made bra shopping harder, for starts.
Since I'm very tall, too, I need a really large back size too. At one point I
thought I hit paydirt seeing the bras sold at the plus-size stores. Tons of
them my nominal size. Tried them on and tried them on - got horrible fits.
Problem is, *those* are made for a more rotund shape and the styles that go with
that, so the straps are set wider, and the parts that go around the back are
actually cut to widen quite a lot from bottom to top to fit the rolls under the
arms, etc. I don't have that, and I have narrow shoulders to start with. So
I'm stuck with a couple of the most expensive brands and nabbing my size when I
see it (Wacoal for some reason doesn't have my size online) and treating my bras
very gently so they last. Specialty stores are few and far between, and often
don't have my size either. Arrrgh.

Even so, and with the rest of my being relatively narrow and needing a lot of
extra length, I have good luck with the Land's End suits.

Banty

Old June 15th 08, 01:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Banty wrote:

In article f905k.9863$Jx.5178@pd7urf1no, xkatx says...

It's just a little annoying. I never considered my average C cup to be a
huge set of boobs. Then after DD2 was born, fairly close after DD1, I found
that my boobs got a little too big. The fact that she's still nursing,
almost 19 months old now, doesn't seem to help with my upper end going to a
more 'normal' and 'comfortable' size for me and what I think would go with
the rest of my body.
Oh well. Breastfeeding IS nature's own way of breast enhancement!

c.f. Kelly Ripa. When Regis hired her she was pg and had a bosom. Now
- not so much.

I started out as a 34D as a teen. When I was nursing I was something
like 38 FF and basically the only place I could get bras was Sears. I
did have another problem though which was that dd#2 refused to nurse
on the left breast, and 5 years later dd#3 did the same. So I was
quite lopsided for awhile

Yep. I went from a D to a DD. Which made bra shopping harder, for starts.
Since I'm very tall, too, I need a really large back size too. At one point I
thought I hit paydirt seeing the bras sold at the plus-size stores. Tons of
them my nominal size. Tried them on and tried them on - got horrible fits.
Problem is, *those* are made for a more rotund shape and the styles that go with
that, so the straps are set wider, and the parts that go around the back are
actually cut to widen quite a lot from bottom to top to fit the rolls under the
arms, etc. I don't have that, and I have narrow shoulders to start with. So

I'm built like my dad with wide shoulders. Shoulder width has never
been a problem for me, but I also had big hips and a narrow waist
(eighteen inches difference). I've never been able to buy jeans that
fitted in the waist.

I had deep grooves in my shoulders from bra straps. Those pads do
nothing. I can't stand underwires. About 10 years ago, I decided
that I would rather have my boobs sag down to my knees than wear a bra
anymore. So I stopped wearing one except for places like construction
sites where I didn't want to be a distraction. And the groves are
mostly gone now.

Unfortunately, DH watches too much "What Not to Wear" and wants me to
wear a bra. He actually took me to a corsetier in D.C. to be fitted.
So I do wear one sometimes to please him as I know I do look better
(i.e. thinner) when I wear one. But I still would rather have boobs
down to my knees.

I'm stuck with a couple of the most expensive brands and nabbing my size when I
see it (Wacoal for some reason doesn't have my size online) and treating my bras
very gently so they last. Specialty stores are few and far between, and often
don't have my size either. Arrrgh.

You might try sports bras - my favorite is one that was listed as an
absolutely no-bounce bra for dressage riders - they were reviewed in
Mike Plumb's Journal, and I bought one. It is my favorite.