Cloth diaper question

Old June 22nd 08, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default Cloth diaper question

For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just the
material.

Old June 22nd 08, 08:58 AM posted to misc.kids
NL

xkatx schrieb:
For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just the
material.

I bought "molton". It's 100% cotton and kind of fluffy/rough on both
sides. Kind of like flannel but thicker. I used two layers with elastic
at the sides, about 1-2cm in from the seam, and the seam was done with a
serger. I did velcro closures, one strip of loops across the front two
hook tabs at the sides of the back. If you want I can take pictures ;-)

cu
nicole
Old June 22nd 08, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"xkatx" wrote:

For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just the
material.

I used the old cotton Birdseye (?) diapers. Gauze I think. Cheap and
soft and hardwearing, but they required that you fold them. That also
meant that you COULD fold them so that you didn't have to keep buying
different sizes. Just fold differently. I don't know if you can get
them anymore.
Old June 22nd 08, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just the
material.

I used the old cotton Birdseye (?) diapers. Gauze I think. Cheap and
soft and hardwearing, but they required that you fold them. That also
meant that you COULD fold them so that you didn't have to keep buying
different sizes. Just fold differently. I don't know if you can get
them anymore.

That's what my mother and sister used. I don't know whether you can buy
them anymore, either. When I had my first 12 years ago I couldn't find
them. I know what you mean about folding, since I'm the eldest of 6
and did plenty of diaper-folding in my younger days. I still have
trouble connecting "cloth diapers" and "sizes" in my head.

Clisby
Old June 22nd 08, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

[...]

You can still buy then, but frankly, I think a lot of
the newer sorts are nicer to work with and more effective.
It's been a several years since I was in the cloth diapering
business, so I don't know what's out there now, but the slightly
fitted diapers I used worked very well as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me that different people end up preferring
different materials for cloth diapers, so it doesn't seem to me
that there's any obviously superior-in-all-cases material.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 22nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Ericka Kammerer schrieb:
Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

[...]

I have the somewhat fitted sort and I use the square "gauze" diapers as
a kind of inlay by folding it like this:

+-----+-----+
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
+-----+-----+
fold in half

+--+---+
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
+--+---+
then fold into thirds

+--+
| |
| |
+--+
| |
| |
| |
| |
+--+
then into thirds the other way

+--+
| |
| |
+--+
and you end up with a short thick piece that fits into the center of the
diaper. So, for night times or for a longer trip you can use more than
one extra soaking layer, or if you want to give the baby more freedom
you can leave the soaking layers out completely.

cu
nicole
Old June 23rd 08, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

[...]

Oh, me too! I feel very old-fashioned when I see the huge variety of
pre-folded and shaped nappies that are available nowadays and I can still
turn a square of cotton into a nappy for a newborn all the way up to a 2.5
year old boy or girl. You can still get the plain squares in Australia,
though, and they continue to be a popular cloth solution.

My youngest child is seven and I still had the 2 dozen flannelette and 1
dozen toweling squares I began using with his 18 year old brother. They
washed and washed and barely showed signs of wear through three children.
Cheap too! And versatile as burp cloths and mini-sheets or head cloths in
their bassinettes and cots. I used plastic pants and Velcro fastening covers
but preferred the humble plastic pants on price, ease of laundering and
containment. I also designed and sewed a half dozen fitted-style nappies out
of cotton toweling and Velcro. These had a long piece that could be folded
up to make a thick pad, but were fast to dry and could be padded further for
nights.

I don't think I'd like some of the heavily padded current styles because it
seems to me they'd take a lot of rinsing to get them properly clean and
would also take far too long to dry, on a line or in a dryer.

As I remember I also had some large cotton gauze squares, as well, and they
were especially good for my summer newborns. I started with nappy pins
(points stuck in a bar of soap to help them slip through the cotton) and
went on to plastic clips and then "T" fasteners, which I liked best.

(Actually, I really liked Huggies best!)

Old June 23rd 08, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

xkatx wrote:
For those that use cloth or have used cloth...
What is, in your opinion, the best type of material to use for cloth
diapers?
There seems to be so many options, but I'm wondering if there's a great
material that is soft, absorbant and allows air. Also, if possible,
something that is kind of common and fairly easy to track down that won't
cost an arm and a leg. Not looking for great brands or anything, just the
material.

I'm out of the loop. Is this for a current baby or a new baby on the way?

I used Diaper Service Quality Chinese prefolds which are made of cotton,
work great, and are cheap. IIRC they were $18 for a dozen.

They worked great for me for at least 6mos. I can't remember when
exactly I went up to the next size but it was 6mos or later. You do
need a cover with them, which I no longer have so you'd have to purchase.

I have a ton of them and you can have them for shipping if you don't
mind used. Let me know if you are interested.

Old June 24th 08, 05:31 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"NL" wrote in message
xkatx schrieb:
[...]

I'm trying to picture what you're explaining.
Are these like a version of a regular fitted diaper?

Old June 24th 08, 05:33 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

"Tai" wrote in message
Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
"xkatx" wrote:

[...]

I have the kind that you need to fold. I don't care much for folding,
mainly because I just don't have the time or patience to be folding diapers
all the time. Both girls are still in diapers, although DD1 is in the
process of potty training - which she STILL shows absolutely NO interest in.
Still.

Another cloth diaper question... xkatx Breastfeeding 15 May 15th 06 12:22 PM
Cloth Diaper Questions Nikki Pregnancy 13 February 22nd 06 06:11 PM
Cloth diaper question [email protected] Pregnancy 8 May 20th 05 08:06 PM
cloth swim diaper? Kim E General 25 January 13th 05 03:59 AM
Cloth diaper question Elizabeth H Bonesteel Pregnancy 17 August 4th 04 09:35 PM