Survey: First tooth and BF

Old July 27th 03, 08:48 PM
Dave Stone

Default Survey: First tooth and BF

"Cary Hayes" wrote in message
. ..
I am just curious how everyone handled the first tooth and breastfeeding?

am a VERY dedicated breastfeeding mother (I am even interested in becoming

LC myself!) of a 21 week old. As I am sure her first tooth is soon to
arrive I am curious...

Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how did

you
get them to stop? I am trying to decide how I want to handle the

situation.
Any info on what did or did not work for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Melanie

Mom to Olivia Madison 2/28/03

I didn't handle it so well. Mastitis and thrush fine, but not teeth. My
first 3 boys were bad, biting and giggling. Nothing I tried seemed to work,
and as we co-slept my usual falling asleep with baby on the breast went out
the window, as I would be woken by a bite on the nipple ouch! Don't get me
wrong i'm no wimp, I really wanted to continue feeding but I just couldn't,
I had very sore cracked and bleeding nipples by the time they had finished.
I was devestated at giving up (around 10-12 months old - my babies are late
teethers thank god!) and I actually became depressed when I did. I wasn't
ready to give it up the feeding relationship.
I am going to try extra hard this time when the teeth errupt, it's hard as I
had no support, as everyone I knew formula fed.
I also noticed that when the babies reach 7 months or so, my breasts begin
to shrink, form a D cup to C then to a B, so I also believed that was
natures way of telling me it was time to stop.
Of course i'm older and wiser now! Fingers crossed I will be ok this time!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

Old July 27th 03, 09:07 PM
Rob and Laura

Izabella is 5 1/2 mths old and she has 3 teeth already. And so far she has
not bitten me at all. For the 1st week or so Icould feel her teeth but now I
dont seem to. Everything seems fine. She has had her 1st tooth up well over
a month ago, and the other 2 about 1/2 a mth ago. So all seems to be alright
so far.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

. ..

Old July 27th 03, 09:15 PM
Elana

Cary Hayes wrote:

I am just curious how everyone handled the first tooth and breastfeeding? I
am a VERY dedicated breastfeeding mother (I am even interested in becoming a
LC myself!) of a 21 week old. As I am sure her first tooth is soon to
arrive I am curious...

Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how did you
get them to stop? I am trying to decide how I want to handle the situation.
Any info on what did or did not work for you would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick (now 19 mos) has bitten me a total of 5 times, none on purpose
from what I can tell. He really bit each time, and I gave a good
"ouch!!", not to scare him, but it ended up scaring him. He does
sometimes press with his teeth (I think we're up to 14 teeth now) when
his tongue is on the bottom, and I end up with indentations, but most of
the time he's grand.

Old July 27th 03, 09:21 PM
Patty Reali

"Cary Hayes" wrote in message
. ..
I am just curious how everyone handled the first tooth and breastfeeding?

am a VERY dedicated breastfeeding mother (I am even interested in becoming

LC myself!) of a 21 week old. As I am sure her first tooth is soon to
arrive I am curious...

Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how did

you
get them to stop? I am trying to decide how I want to handle the

situation.
Any info on what did or did not work for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

My DS got his first teeth around 6.5 - 7 months, but was teething for a good
while before that. He never really *bit* me with his teeth, but kind of
slowly clamped down on me as though teething. All I had to do, a few times,
was to pull him into me, look him dead in the eye, and say "no" very
sternly. He let go and started crying like I had done some awful, evil,
terrible thing to him! I felt bad, but better than I would have felt having
to stop bf because of mangled nipples! I feel pretty lucky, though - he
seems to have "gotten it" pretty quickly, and doesn't bite for fun or a
reaction!

Patty

Old July 27th 03, 10:03 PM
Cathy

Cary Hayes wrote in message
. ..
I am just curious how everyone handled the first tooth and breastfeeding?

am a VERY dedicated breastfeeding mother (I am even interested in becoming

LC myself!) of a 21 week old. As I am sure her first tooth is soon to
arrive I am curious...

Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how did

you
get them to stop? I am trying to decide how I want to handle the

situation.
Any info on what did or did not work for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Melanie

Mom to Olivia Madison 2/28/03

DD got her first tooth at 18 weeks. Prior to her getting the tooth she
gummed me a lot, which was uncomfortable. Once I yelled, and that caused
tears on her part, and she refused to nurse again that session. Since then
I have had a few nips - only once has she left teeth marks on me. She has
always done it by accident, often just when she is falling asleep and ready
to come off the breast. I am aware of this now, so try and get her off if I
feel she is going to nip. Occasionally she nips when she latches on -
yesterday she was so keen to nurse that she 'forgot' to get her tongue in
place first, which meant the teeth were exposed. Because she hasn't yet
realised that she has bitten, I try to not overreact, as that really upsets
her. I'm not sure how I'll handle a deliberate bite - with a top tooth
coming through (I suspect), I think I'll find out soon!

Cathy

Old July 28th 03, 12:04 AM
Beth

"Cary Hayes" wrote in message
. ..
Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how did

you
get them to stop?

Yes. He cut teeth at 5 months and discovered that he could make Mama yelp
soon after. A couple of yelps was enough to discourage him. That, and I
like to "bug out" if he is showing signs of agitation. His bites came when
he was finished nursing, or if it wasn't what he'd wanted in the first
place. Maybe he trained me ;-)

Beth

Old July 30th 03, 04:12 AM
Nikki

Cary Hayes wrote:
Did your little one ever bite you during breastfeeding? If so, how
did you get them to stop?

Hunter went through two biting spells. At 4 months I smushed his face to my
breast and sternly said 'no bite'. The smushing causes them to unlatch so
they can breath. That worked after 3-4 times. The bites were not bad. He
had 2 teeth. At 10 months he had 8 teeth and bit hard. I had to nurse with
a pinky near his mouth to quickly unlatch him (smushing didn't work),
sternly say 'No bite' and set him down and walk off. He got the picture
then :-) I also got good at recognizing when he was done eating and just
fiddling around. An actively nursing baby can't bite but a fiddling baby
sure can!

Not all babies bite while nursing. Luke never did. He bites other people
and at other times though and that is actually worse IMO because it is so
much harder to stop.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)