guns in the house

Old December 22nd 03, 01:19 AM
Go_Chiefs

Default guns in the house

'Kate wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:51:17 GMT, lm

Do you have them?

No.

What kind?

Where/how are they kept?

What about in your extended family's homes?

I don't have any.

What about guns in your kids' friends' houses?

When I learn of someone who recently purchased a gun, especially a BB
gun or something like that for one of their kids, mine are not allowed
in that house. Period.

Why is that? Ok I know the answer but I want to see YOU post it...

Do you know?

Ya never know for sure.

Do you care?

Absolutely.

Do you let them play there?

No.

How old are your kids?

13, 15, 24

On second thought, my 24 year old may be going to houses that contain
guns. So hard to keep track of all her friends now.

Unless you live in a drug infested neighborhood or the average IQ
where you live is 10 & Folks there are prone to random acts of
sheer stupidity don't you think your a bit paranoid?

Ike

Old December 22nd 03, 01:34 AM
Go_Chiefs

CME wrote:

"Dusty" wrote in message ...

"lm" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:44:23 -0500, "Dusty" wrote:

[snip]

Oh don't be such a pill. Look at my posting history. I'm not trying to
inflame anything. I've just moved to a part of the country where
attitudes toward gun use and ownership are very different to what I'm
used to and I'm interested in learning how other people from other
areas see the issue. I'm thinking that my own attitudes may have to be
revisited in light of my children's reality. That being the case, I
thank you for the comments you made that actually address the
questions I raised, and I'll ignore the polemic crap in which you
packaged it.

lm

Since I don't care to go traipsing through 100,000+ newsgroups, I'll

decline

on attempting to trace your previous postings. But I do believe that your
original posting about firearms was exactly that, a blatant attempt to

start

a flame war. But, that's my opinion, live with it.

So, did you find yourself moving to the land of Deliverance? Or did you
just move to the city? Perhaps something in between, then?

I'd suggest that you go down to the local Rod and Gun Club and ask them if
they sponsor the NRA's Safe Hunter Course. If I remember it, the course

is

2-3 days (a fair amount of both hands on and book reading - loads of
question and answer time!!). An extremely well thought out course! I'd
recommend it to anyone who's thinking of owning a hand-gun, rifle or

shotgun

(or already owns one).

Hell, take the course even if you only want to know what to do with a fire
arm. What they're about, how to safely handle them, storage, history,

etc..

You'll have an eye opening, mind expanding time. I can all but guarantee
it!

Unless you use guns on a regular basis, for hunting or perhaps an occupation
(police) I don't understand the need to own a gun. I may live in Canada,
but it would be quite easy to obtain a Firearms Certificate and possess a
gun if I wished. But the thing is I don't feel the NEED to own a gun. Just
because the Constitution says you can, doesn't mean you should. I fired a
gun for the second time in my life (all this year) and I was very good, but
the thing I felt when it was in my hands is what an awesome responsibility
that was, too much I think for the average person.

Christine

Lets see other than the occasional Large Predator like in your
case the Polar Bear, Kodiak & Griz. & Mountain lion... you have
Child molesters, Kidnappers, Rapists, Home Invaders, Carjackers,
Need I give more reasons to own a gun?

After you become a crime victim you WILL understand the NEED to
own a gun... Just be safe about it...

Ike

Old December 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
Go_Chiefs

Joelle wrote:

I've taught my child since she was old enough to understand my words
that guns are very dangerous (not bad) and should never, ever be
touched.

You've of course seen all the studies where kids are told that, taught that,
have it pounded in their head and then a video plays while the adult leaves a
gun in the room and what do the kids do? Take it out, play with it, point it
at each other.

It's like telling a kid to keep their hands off the cookies.

But it also has been shown that children of hunters who are taught to handle a
gun are less likely to think it's something cool to play with.

I used to worry about my kids going to homes of people who had guns. I told
them to come right home if they ever saw one, but you know they don't always do
what you tell them. I think they are old enough now...but maybe not - they did
show a video of older boys who played with found guns as well.

Joelle

Congrats for teaching the kids to RESPECT guns... Ever consider a
gun safety course? I too was raised with them... My dad got me a
toy cowboy rife one time. I took it over to grandparent's house &
did as kids do... When I went back to get it off the floor it was
gone.

Well little Ike runs to Grandma about missing toy.. Somebody
stolen it! Nope Grandpa found it & put it up. He told me it would
stay put up the rest of my visit so that I learn not to just tos
it wherever I pleased.

An hour before I had to go home he pulled down his rifle for
cleaning & brought me mine. We sat there Him cleaning his & me
cleaning mine.

That Christmas he made me a Toy Gun cabinet.

Both Grandparents are gone now but to this day I respect a
weapon. If I have one in the house it goes where it belongs.

Ike

Old December 22nd 03, 01:53 AM
Go_Chiefs

steveb wrote:

"Dusty" lifted the trapdoor, peered around and wrote:

And there is no need
to be fearful if you've taken the time to educate yourself and your children
in the use of firearms.

This will be why 11000 Americans kill each other with guns each year?

WRONG!!!! STUPIDITY kills MORE people than any gun... Take for
example those that drive into high water... Should you be banned
from owning a car because they are too stupid?

On second thought YOU should NEVER own a Gun... Stupid folks
should NEVER own ANY weapon... So sell that car & rid your place
of ALL Sharp objects, Tools & Clubs.

Ike