Priceless. (Or terrifying!)

Old August 3rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Priceless. (Or terrifying!)

Cut and pasted this from a post on babycenter's bfing boards. (The OP
had said that the ped said she was nursing too often because her baby
was nursing every 2 hours and baby had gained 4 pounds in a month --
that she should only nurse every 3 hours.) After lots of good advice
(mostly of the 'your ped is a moron' variety) someone posted this:

For instance, from the booklet "Absurd Advice: Ridiculous Reasons to
Wean, Miscellaneous Myths and Misconceptions, Silly Statements and A
Plethora of Problems Blamed on Breastfeeding" by Linda J. Smith and
Pamela K. Wiggins:

* A doctor told a mom he couldn't believe that she was stll
breastfeeding at one year. He said, "Don't you know that breast milk
turns into water at one year? It still looks white but it has no
nutrients in it al all; it is just basically water."

(personal note: and does broccoli lose all of its nutrients after
you've been eating it for a year? Gosh, neither does breast milk! In
the second year of life, 500ml (about two cups, or 16 oz) of breastmilk
provides:

o 95% of vitamin C requirements
o 45% of vitamin A requirements
o 38% of protein requirements
o 31% of energy requirements

(from: UNICEF/Wellstart: Promoting Breastfeeding in Health Facilities:
A short course for Administrators and Policy Makers; WHO/CDR 93.4) )

* A nurse once told a mom to pump and dump after returning from an
outing so "the spoiled milk" in her breasts wouldn't make the baby
sick.

(personal note: breast milk is made on demand as the baby nurses...how
could milk possibly "spoil" in a mom's breast?!?!)

* Then there was the pediatrician, overheard to tell a mother, "as long
as you are breastfeeding, don't eat anything that starts with the
letter "p" as it will bother the baby."

(personal note: this man needs to retire. And take some serious
medications while he's at it.)

* A mother was lying down nursing her five-month-old who was
hospitalized for gastroenteritis caused by a food allergy. A nurse
said, "No one nurses lying down! You can't do that!" Later, she saw the
baby's yellow mustard breastfed stools. She said, "Now he has diarrhea.
You have to stay two more days. I told you so."

(personal note: another sad case of total ignorance, from the bliss of
being able to nurse lying down to what the normal stools of an ebf baby
even LOOK like.)

* A mom said she had a fever and has first talked to her OB about
whether or not she could nurse. He told her that her milk would be hot
and would scald the baby's mouth! He told her to express her milk into
a cup and cool it down, and then give it to her baby!

(personal note: if your body temperature is 212 degrees, you have
bigger problems than just breastfeeding!)

* A mother with postpartum depression was told to wean because the
"madness would go through the milk."

(personal note: another candidate for retirement.)

* A Mom came into the clinic and said she had to wean the baby because
she had a lump in her breast. The MD who she had seen for the lump
(according to Mom) had told her the baby might have blown air into her
breast and caused an embolism and she had to wean!

(personal note: I'm not even sure where to begin with this one.)

Old August 4th 06, 06:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

wrote in message
ups.com...
Cut and pasted this from a post on babycenter's bfing boards. (The OP
had said that the ped said she was nursing too often because her baby
was nursing every 2 hours and baby had gained 4 pounds in a month --
that she should only nurse every 3 hours.) After lots of good advice
(mostly of the 'your ped is a moron' variety) someone posted this:

Jesus Christ.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old August 5th 06, 05:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

I Know! Can you believe that when gave birth to my first daughter I had
nurses telling me I would not be able to breastfeed her! I am a young
healthy woman .....why would they say such a terrible thing. It figures
though they were advising me to get an abortion and then asking me
about adoption, did I mention that I was and still am in a healthy
marriage relatioship we had been married for a year before our first. I
am still upset about all this. Urrgh, the hospitals are no help at all
I had the same problems with my second there. When I have another I
just my do a home delivery, if possible. Forget about all there "all
knowing" Bull crap.

The hospital I went to even had lactation specialtist and everything.
Frankly, it disgusted me.

Old August 6th 06, 08:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

FlowerGirl wrote:

Actually my paed told me not to bf DD so often and make her wait 4 hours
between feeds ... apparently its much better for the baby and very relaxing
for the mother to listen to her baby screaming from hunger for 2 hours while
waiting out the 4 hours between feeds.... eyeroll.

I don't understand why this advice is handed
out so often. Your doctor who finishes
breakfast at 8am should not have ANYTHING to
eat or drink (no coffee, no water cooler sips,
no chips) until 12pm.

-- Anita --