Need help with baby crib

Old March 9th 04, 10:36 PM
Barry

Default Need help with baby crib

I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem. Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old March 10th 04, 12:26 AM
Laura Faussone

Barry wrote:

Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You might check with companies that provide parts for carpenters /
furniture makers. I did a quick web search on "crib hardware" and found
something at www.rockler.com

Laura

Old March 10th 04, 02:06 AM
Banty

In article , Barry says...

I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem. Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Measure the distance between the slats. Likely, they're more than 2 3/8 inches
apart. If so, the crib is unsafe by current standards, and that would explain
both why parts are unavailable, and why you shouldn't fix it.

http://www.aap.org/pubserv/cribsafe.htm

Banty

Old March 10th 04, 09:23 PM
Karen G

That is tough one. You can find cribs that have similar hardware to
retrofit. I am guessing that the crib being discussed is one with the
vertical metal rail to raise and lower the side. That design is less
common now, but still available. A kids consignment store might have
something that can be stripped for parts. Good luck.

Karne G

Old March 11th 04, 03:53 AM
Beth Gallagher

"Barry" wrote in message
om...
I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.

This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
14 years ago.

Old March 11th 04, 05:07 AM
Iowacookiemom

Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.

We found a local hardware store very helpful in retro-fitting parts for the
crib we bought second-hand. Not a Home Depot/Lowes type of superstore, but a
local neighborhood store with the requisite older gent behind the info counter.
Those guy love a challenge.

Good luck!

-Dawn

Old March 11th 04, 04:06 PM
Scott

Beth Gallagher wrote:
"Barry" wrote in message
om...

I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.

This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
14 years ago.

I had a similar reaction. I can only guess that the
crib is some sort of family heirloomish thing that
sis wants back now for her kids' kids. Although
an 'heirloom' from 1980 sounds distinctly odd.

Otherwise it seemed a pretty silly thing to me, too,
to family squabble about.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 8

Old March 11th 04, 04:07 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"Beth Gallagher" wrote:

"Barry" wrote in message
. com...
I have a circa 1980 baby crib that I've returned to my sister in the
Orlando, Florida area. Unfortunately, a lot of the hardware was
corroded or broken. Now I find out Simmons does not carry replacement
parts for this crib any more. My sister is ready to stop speaking to
me and make the whole family hate me if I can't fix this problem.

This may be too off topic, but I can't help asking: Why would she hate you
because a 24 year old crib has some broken-down aspects to it? As Banty
pointed out, this crib may well be considered unsafe by today's standards.
Sorry that I can't offer advice on parts. I'd have chucked the thing about
14 years ago.

I also wondered why the parts are corroded or broken. Have you been
especially rough on it? What does she want it for anyway? Is there
some sentimental value to it? It can't be an antique yet.

Any
guidance on finding parts somewhere, or finding a repair company that
can retrofit this crib with other parts, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If there is no sentimental reason to have this particular crib, I
would just offer to or actually buy her a new one. That will probably
be easier and may even be cheaper in the long run than trying to
repair the one you have, and shipping it or transporting it to her.
Plus if that will smooth over the family relations it might be worth
it.

grandma Rosalie

baby not sleeping, overly exhausted: PLEASE HELP [email protected] General 18 June 19th 04 02:19 PM
Unconsolable infant dkc General 18 May 25th 04 11:02 PM
Very serious question about child "abuse" jojo General 63 April 20th 04 06:49 PM
Co-sleeping question [email protected] General 13 January 23rd 04 11:34 PM
Introducing your dog to your newborn. Hany Hosny General (moderated) 2 August 10th 03 11:02 PM