Potty training

Old May 6th 06, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Potty training

My DD is almost 3 years old. Most days she is great and will pee in the
potty for me. She has been going now on a regular basis and has been
telling us. She is starting to With hold from us poop. She has never done
this on the potty before. how do I get her to do this on the potty?

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

Old May 6th 06, 11:42 PM posted to misc.kids

"Jennifer Massey-Howe" ) writes:
My DD is almost 3 years old. Most days she is great and will pee in the
potty for me. She has been going now on a regular basis and has been
telling us. She is starting to With hold from us poop. She has never done
this on the potty before. how do I get her to do this on the potty?

Giving her plenty of vitamin C can help prevent constipation.

In order to poop, she may need privacy, lack of pressure,
quiet time, routine. Changing from a routine of pooping
in a diaper to a routine of pooping in a potty may not
be easy for her.

I think some kids ask for a diaper when they feel a need
to poop. Having a routine of wearing a diaper for several
hours a day might work for some kids.

Probably one day when she's not too stressed or worried
about it and the timing just happens to be right she'll
poop in the potty, and after doing it once it'll be
easier for her the next time. Probably she knows that's
what she's supposed to do so probably you don't need to
say or do anything about it.

Some kids get into a terrible medical condition from
withholding poop. It's better to forget about potty
training for a few months or even years than have to
go through that.
Old May 7th 06, 10:32 PM posted to misc.kids

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
My DD is almost 3 years old. Most days she is great and will pee in the
potty for me. She has been going now on a regular basis and has been
telling us. She is starting to With hold from us poop. She has never done
this on the potty before. how do I get her to do this on the potty?

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

As an aside, my sister's second son had a real issue with going poop on
the potty. It turned out that he really could not stand all of the
issues that go with it, such as the smell straight under his nose, the
vigorous dry wiping, the splash of cold water on the bum, etc. lol.
Anyway, having a potty bear on the back of the toilet really helped him
out. She sprayed it with her perfume and he could hold it to his nose
while he went #2. She would also flush the poopie down the minute it
hit the water. She only discovered this after noticing how he gagged
and sometimes even vomited when her third son would poo in his diaper.
lol. Think about it, it really is only a contained warm mess in their
pants that we take care of straight under our noses when they are laid
down for the cleanup. lol.

Old May 8th 06, 03:53 PM posted to misc.kids

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
My DD is almost 3 years old. Most days she is great and will pee in the
potty for me. She has been going now on a regular basis and has been
telling us. She is starting to With hold from us poop. She has never done
this on the potty before. how do I get her to do this on the potty?

If she's starting to withhold poop, then back off. There is a
nightmare cycle of withholding causing poop to get big and hard causing
pain with defecation causing more withholding causing poop to get even
more painful.... Trust me, you don't want to go down that road. It
can end up as bad as requiring admission to the hospital to get a bowel
cleanout for massively backed up stool.

If it's just starting, then don't worry about the diaper and just give
her one to poop in for a while. Once she gets back into a regular
pooping pattern and any power struggle over the issue has faded away,
THEN try some of the other suggestions that people have made. If the
withholding is already getting to be a real problem then talk to your
pediatrican about a daily laxative to break the cycle before it gets
any farther.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel (pediatric resident)
and the Bug, almost 3 years old

Old May 11th 06, 04:45 PM posted to misc.kids

Jennifer Massey-Howe wrote:
My DD is almost 3 years old. Most days she is great and will pee in the
potty for me. She has been going now on a regular basis and has been
telling us. She is starting to With hold from us poop. She has never done
this on the potty before. how do I get her to do this on the potty?

My daughter went through the same thing at the same age. Just give her
time. The "pooping" process is a new thing and different from peeing.
She might actually even want a little "privacy" but that's just you
standing just outside the door. It'll happen.

CTTS: Potty Training Tori M. Pregnancy 9 February 5th 05 10:07 PM
CTTS: Potty Training Tori M. General 9 February 5th 05 10:07 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks Pregnancy 41 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks Breastfeeding 49 November 21st 03 07:43 PM