my highly intellegent daughter

Old November 20th 03, 09:11 PM
Stephanie and Tim

Default my highly intellegent daughter

STILL will not take a bottle. Of the suggestions I have heard, the only
thing we have not tried is different bottle types. I would REALLY rather not
spend more money on new bottles when we have the mother-load of Avent. I
will if I must, of course. But I do not want to spend $$ without some idea
of success liklihood. I live about an hour from a store with a wide
selection of bottles, beleive it or not.

Often I have heard, "if she is hungry enough she will take the bottle." I am
concerned about returning for a whole day of work without her having taken a
bottle. Should I dump her on my inlaws for several hours? It seems kinda
harsh, but gentle is not working. I think that sending her to inlaws would
be good because they are vastly more patient and less likely to add their
stress to the equation than DH is.

Any words of wisdom would ease my mind. If she would take a bottle in
addition to the breast, I would feel much more at ease for the yucky day I
have to go back to work. (I tried explaining that without my salary, they
would forclose on our mortgage and we would have to live in Nanna and
Bubba's basement, but she was not impressed.

Thanks

Old November 20th 03, 09:36 PM
lynn

In article ,
"Stephanie and Tim" wrote:

[...]

A few weeks ago you said that FIL successfully gave her a bottle. So
definitely work with them again, if you can. And once she takes a
bottle, keep giving her (that is, have someone else give her) one every
day for a while so she stays in practice.

What did the trick for me was making sure the milk was really warm.
Warmer than I would've thought to make it, but then I guess it comes out
body temperature naturally...

- Lynn
Old November 20th 03, 09:54 PM
Mary W.

Richard wrote:

Stephanie and Tim wrote:
: STILL will not take a bottle. Of the suggestions I have heard, the only
: thing we have not tried is different bottle types. I would REALLY rather not
: spend more money on new bottles when we have the mother-load of Avent. I
: will if I must, of course. But I do not want to spend $$ without some idea
: of success liklihood. I live about an hour from a store with a wide
: selection of bottles, beleive it or not.

My daughter could not figure out the Avent nipples. Just couldn't get them
to work. The Playtex nurser was the only nipple she'd take, and I know my grocery
store carries them, so you may be able to try that. She never did take the bottle
well though. Enough to get through the day and nursed like crazy at night (she
never took more than
10-12 ounces a day from the bottle and once she started solids even less).: Any
words of wisdom would ease my mind. If she would take a bottle in

: addition to the breast, I would feel much more at ease for the yucky day I
: have to go back to work. (I tried explaining that without my salary, they
: would forclose on our mortgage and we would have to live in Nanna and
: Bubba's basement, but she was not impressed.
:
: Thanks

Stephanie, are you around when you are trying to bottle feed? Try giving
a bottle to DH and going for a walk. If DD knows you are around, she may
wait for the breast. If you are nowhere to be seen, she may be more likely
to feed from a bottle.

I second this advice. Also, our nanny could get our daughter to take the bottle if
she was distracted - she usually put on her baby mozart video and propped her up
in her carseat and then she'd take the bottle. I know its stressfull, but most
likely your caregiver will figure something out. Getting the grandparents to try a
couple more times is probably a great idea.

Mary

Old November 20th 03, 10:12 PM
Andrea

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message
[...]

How about ditching the bottle, and feeding her from a cup? (without the lid
like they do when a baby can't be nursed right after the birth).

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

Old November 20th 03, 10:34 PM
Irish Marie

[...]

My DS went off bottles for a while a number of weeks ago, he kept spitting
the teat out and like you I didn't want to go forking out for a whole new
range of bottles and teats. I happened to be shopping one day and saw a
bottle on sale for ?1.50, it was a generic brand of the pharmacy it was
bought in. Anyway i tried that later on with him and he took it straight
away, it had a softer teat. But luckily it kind of taught him to use a teat
and he went back to Avent teats without any problems. We have since bought
some more different teats and he is managing great.
--
Marie
Mum of 3

Old November 20th 03, 11:41 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Stephanie and Tim wrote:

(I tried explaining that without my salary, they
would forclose on our mortgage and we would have to live in Nanna and
Bubba's basement, but she was not impressed.

Maybe an afternoon in Nanna and Bubba's basement will
convince her. I think having your in-laws try giving a
bottle is a good idea. Alternatively, she may take to
cup-feeding, or a valveless sippy cup (held by the
bottle-giver, otherwise a waste of bm), or a straw (straw
into cup of milk, finger over end of straw, full end into
mouth, finger off of end, spluttering baby).

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 21st 03, 12:47 AM
Stephanie and Tim

"lynn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stephanie and Tim" wrote:

[...]

It's weird, since then she has refused, even from him. I think that was our
error, not continuing on the successful trend.

What did the trick for me was making sure the milk was really warm.
Warmer than I would've thought to make it, but then I guess it comes out
body temperature naturally...

- Lynn

Thanks!

Old November 21st 03, 12:47 AM
Stephanie and Tim

"Richard" wrote in message
Stephanie and Tim wrote:
[...]

Good luck!

Richard
Micaela's dad

Done both ways. I think that my absence is requisite.

Thanks!

Old November 21st 03, 12:48 AM
Stephanie and Tim

"Mary W." wrote in message

Richard wrote:

Stephanie and Tim wrote:
[...]

Is the Playtex nurser one the disposable one?

Old November 21st 03, 05:07 AM
Anonymommmy

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message . ..
STILL will not take a bottle. Of the suggestions I have heard, the only
thing we have not tried is different bottle types.

I remember how stressful it was when DD was learning how to take a
bottle. That was no fun at all for any of us. It doesn't help that
when they're at the stage of learning to take the bottle, they're
still at the stage of lots of nighttime feedings, so you're still
sleep-deprived.

We eventually learned that DD preferred one particular type of Platex
nipple.

Often I have heard, "if she is hungry enough she will take the bottle." I am
concerned about returning for a whole day of work without her having taken a
bottle. Should I dump her on my inlaws for several hours? It seems kinda
harsh, but gentle is not working. I think that sending her to inlaws would
be good because they are vastly more patient and less likely to add their
stress to the equation than DH is.

When DD was learning to take the bottle, our ped suggested I go out
without her for a half day or a full day, because when she got hungry
enough she'd take the bottle. (I never had the guts to do it though.)
The ped also said that on the off chance that I was away from her for
a full day and she _didn't_ take the bottle, she wouldn't get totally
dehydrated.

Anonymommmy
DD 9/02