Sore Nipples! Ssssss Ow ow ow

Old March 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Nikki

Default Sore Nipples! Ssssss Ow ow ow

Carol Ann wrote:

I haven't read the other threads yet, but was wondering if you had
posted your "breastfeeding experience" from the beginning?

Hi Carol Ann. I share my experience with you :-)

Which lanolin cream are you using?

I got whatever was at the drug store. As long as it is pure lanolin I don't
think it matters. I didn't really use it.

My EDD is Monday! Wahoo!!

That is today ;-)

missed the Breastfeeding class at the hospital so I'm learning what I
can here.

Does your hospital have an LC? If not you should try to track one down in
case you need her.

I had vaginal births. My #1 was very sleepy after his birth. He was hard
to wake up and get to latch and was a bit jaundiced. So for the first week
or so I had to try and latch him every 1.5-2hrs and use various baby torture
techniques to get him to stay latched. My milk came in at 5 days and things
got a lot better after that. By 10 days or so it seemed he was nursing all
the time. I had some soreness for 3wks but nothing major. I was obsessive
about getting a good latch - even when I was engorged. The nurses helped me
get him latched at the hospital. I may have fibbed to them a wee bit about
how long he was nursing because I didn't want them to give him a bottle or
something. If he nursed 2-3 minutes I generally wrote down 5 ;-) They never
suggested a bottle.

I roomed in with him at the hospital so I nursed on demand (well, I had to
wake him up and try to get him to nurse so it wasn't really on demand). #2
was way more alert so he breastfed normally (for 10-20 minutes) in the first
week and then when he 2-3 weeks he started nursing a lot. I never had to
wake him up, he just naturally woke up to nurse. I also got my milk in on
day two with him so that helped.

The hospital gave me a great booklet on breastfeeding. I read the thing a
zillion times I think. Oh, I got a fever when my milk came in with #1. I
wouldn't say that is 'normal' but it isn't uncommon either.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)