Spousal Debate: Time to Oneself

Old May 23rd 04, 07:25 PM
H Schinske

Default Spousal Debate: Time to Oneself

And how does the last of the food residue get removed?

Um, isn't that what the soapy water is for?

Well, if you have grease on something, the soap will combine with the grease
and make it so that it can be rinsed off. But if you only wipe off, some of the
soap, and therefore potentially some of the grease it is mixed with, may
remain.

I suppose if you are washing in lots of standing water, some rinsing effect
occurs anyway, which is probably what I didn't put into the picture before. If
I'm going to wash something by hand, it's generally something that's good and
dirty, so I usually need to use soap on it directly and scrub, without a lot of
water getting in the way. Then it's covered with sudsy grease which needs to be
rinsed quite thoroughly before I can even see if I've truly gotten it clean.

--Helen
Old May 25th 04, 01:39 PM
Chookie

In article , Banty
wrote:

And how does the last of the food residue get removed?

Um, isn't that what the soapy water is for?

The dishes are in a sink (or bowl of some sort) of water. The food is in the
water, too. When the dishes are removed, sometimes some food is picked up by
the dish. Or do you wash dishes under running water?

gobbling noises

Running water!! No way!! We're actually on mild water rationing atm.

If soapy water gets to the stage where food pieces/grease are attaching
themselves to clean dishes, it's time to change the water.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old May 25th 04, 07:14 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:45:27 +1000, Chookie
wrote:

In article ,
(H Schinske) wrote:

If I'm going to wash something by hand, it's generally something that's good
and dirty, so I usually need to use soap on it directly and scrub, without
a lot of water getting in the way. Then it's covered with sudsy grease
which needs to be
rinsed quite thoroughly before I can even see if I've truly gotten it clean.

Ah. But hot water is your friend. If I remember my school chemistry
accurately, the fatty ends of the soap molecules insinuate themselves into the
grease, and the heat and the water molecules aid in this and in dispersing the
grease. I think it's something to do with negative and positive poles on the
molecules.

This has never worked for me, and FWIW I think its a brit aussie
thing, cause the germans rinse.

Now, back in the really olden days........we had two dishracks. We
washed starting with the glasses and finishing with the ewuuy uckie
gross stuff.

Glasses were put in drainer right side up. Pitcher was filled with
hot water or used spray thingie. Everything was rinsed in said racks
by spraying or pouring water over. Glasses were then turned upside
down to drain, rinsed outside with said spray/pour bottle. Nothing
got dried (in terms of daily dishes) and an hour so later I put them
away.

I guess its what your body gets used to. I have had the serious runs
from unrinsed soapy dishes...................

Barb

Old May 26th 04, 12:17 AM
eggs

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote in message

Now, back in the really olden days........we had two dishracks. We
washed starting with the glasses and finishing with the ewuuy uckie
gross stuff.

Glasses were put in drainer right side up. Pitcher was filled with
hot water or used spray thingie. Everything was rinsed in said racks
by spraying or pouring water over. Glasses were then turned upside
down to drain, rinsed outside with said spray/pour bottle. Nothing
got dried (in terms of daily dishes) and an hour so later I put them
away.

I guess its what your body gets used to. I have had the serious runs
from unrinsed soapy dishes...................

Barb

Ya know, we had "home science" classes in junior high where they
actually held a class on 'how to wash the dishes'. You started with the
glasswear, then the coffee cups, then the cutlery, then the plates and
then the pans. THEN you refilled the sink with hot water and rinsed
eveything in the same order. The hot water was supposed to rinse the
dishes and make them dry faster because they were hot. I thought that
everybody who washed dishes by hand did it this way (we were an
automatic dishwasher family). I was totally suprised in college to
discover that many people don't even wash from cleanest to dirtiest, let
alone rinse. gross.

eggs.

Old May 26th 04, 12:26 AM
toto

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:17:49 GMT, "eggs"
wrote:

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

And, the standard procedure from the Girl and Boy scouts was to
rinse last in bleach water (10% solution) and to allow things to air
dry. We do it this way in daycare when we handwash too.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 26th 04, 12:44 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
toto wrote:

eggs.

And, the standard procedure from the Girl and Boy scouts was to
rinse last in bleach water (10% solution) and to allow things to air
dry. We do it this way in daycare when we handwash too.

When I was young and did dishes by hand in a place without indoor
plumbing, the rinse water was always just off the boil. At home, Dad
insisted that the rinse water be REALLY HOT. Now that he and Mom live
in an RV (without a dishwasher), he usually does dishes, because he
maintains that Mom doesn't use hot enough water for rinsing.

And we were taught glasswear first, not because it was cleanest, but
because the glasses needed the cleanest water and were least likely to
have anything greasy on them.

I can't imagine not rinsing at all; it sounds really gross! On the
other hand, I had a man stop eating at my house when he found out I
never used soap when washing my cast iron. Pointing out to him that
anything cooked in the cast iron got hot enough to kill any germs didn't
help: he was thoroughly grossed out by the very idea of eating food
cooked in a kettle that hadn't been washed in soap.

meh

Old May 26th 04, 04:03 AM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
toto wrote:

eggs.

And, the standard procedure from the Girl and Boy scouts was to
rinse last in bleach water (10% solution) and to allow things to air
dry. We do it this way in daycare when we handwash too.

When I was in college I did some minor amount of time washing dishes
in the dining hall. We had three stainless sinks (really deep ones).
Soapy water went in the first one, and IIRC hot water with a strong
solution of bleach went in the second one and plain hot water in the
third one.

The dish washer washed the dishes and layered them in a metal milk
crate in the second sink. The other person on the crew (using rubber
gloves) picked up the milk crate and put it in the third sink and put
another empty milk crate in the second sink. He or she also stacked
the dishes ready for the washer to do. Then the dishes in the third
sink were pulled out. I do not remember whether they were then dried
or were allowed to air dry (I'm going for my 45th college reunion this
weekend, and I pretty quickly got myself into other jobs, so I didn't
do the dishes much). The pots and pans were done in the kitchen
separately in more or less the same manner. (The dining room was on
the first floor and the kitchen was in the basement.)

When I was young and did dishes by hand in a place without indoor
plumbing, the rinse water was always just off the boil. At home, Dad
insisted that the rinse water be REALLY HOT. Now that he and Mom live
in an RV (without a dishwasher), he usually does dishes, because he
maintains that Mom doesn't use hot enough water for rinsing.

At home before my mom got a dishwasher (which wasn't until I had two
children when I was moving to a house with one built in and gave her
my old roll-around one), I think one person washed and stacked the
dishes in the drainer and the hot water rinsed them and then they
either air dried or were hand dried. I think it depended on how many
people (children) there were available to help.

When we are on the boat (where we don't have an automatic dishwasher),
dh does the dishes and rinses them under the faucet. The water is
VERY hot because it is heated by the engine of the boat to about 180
deg F. Actually the cold water gets pretty warm too because the tanks
are in the engine room. We don't use the hot water straight from the
faucet because it is too hot.

I feel that rinsing under the faucet was not economical of water, but
we don't have a lot of dishes, and we do carry 400 gallons on the
boat. [We only have to refill it about once a month when we are
living aboard (and it isn't empty then). We do get showers in the
marina(s), and use the marina bathrooms as much as possible.]

And we were taught glasswear first, not because it was cleanest, but
because the glasses needed the cleanest water and were least likely to
have anything greasy on them.

I can't imagine not rinsing at all; it sounds really gross! On the
other hand, I had a man stop eating at my house when he found out I
never used soap when washing my cast iron. Pointing out to him that
anything cooked in the cast iron got hot enough to kill any germs didn't
help: he was thoroughly grossed out by the very idea of eating food
cooked in a kettle that hadn't been washed in soap.

People are strange.

grandma Rosalie