A little confused -- this flu thing???

Old December 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Cheryl S.

Default A little confused -- this flu thing???

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
No. That was my whole point. I've ALWAYS
gotten it for her around this time of year (maybe
a week or two earlier), and have never had a problem.

You probably wouldn't have had a problem this year either, one or two
weeks ago. The difference this year is a news-media-induced hysteria.
They've been reporting that twice the normal number of people are
expected to die of flu this flu-season, and 13 children have died
already. It was on the national evening news every night last week how
this flu is so awful, and vaccines supplies are running low, so everyone
who wants one better rush right out and get it. I got one this past
Monday and my Dr's office predicted they were going to run out that day.
The kids' Dr was already out of it.

Yes, it
was my fault for not calling sooner, but I still don't
understand why they don't have vaccine available
for high risk patients, rather than giving it all out to
healthy kids and for the rest of us... well...it's just
too bad ... and if our kid dies, or ends up really,
really sick... well, we're learn our lesson
for next time, won't we?

It's not like they have separate "vaccines for high risk" and "vaccines
for normal risk" storage areas. There's just "vaccine". If someone
comes in wanting a flu shot and there's only one left, do you think the
Dr should refuse just "in case" a higher risk person comes in later? I
think it's a valid assumption for the doctors that anyone who's very
high-risk would have gotten the shot ASAP (i.e. in October) and give it
to whoever wants it at this time. OTOH there are counties around here
where supplies are running low and therefore those county health
departments are only giving them to people in higher risk categories.
Individual doctors seem to set their own criteria. Have you contacted
your county health dept.? I hope you're able to find one for Shaina.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 11th 03, 02:41 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Clisby wrote in message ...

Is the flu mist not available in your area? I hadn't heard there wss a
shortage of that. (I think you have to be at least 5 or 6 to get it,
so it wouldn't help out people trying to get really little kids immunized).

Unfortunately, if you're high risk you're not supposed to get
the mist, because it's a weakened and not a killed vaccine. I
couldn't get it because of my asthma.

Beth
Old December 11th 03, 02:45 PM
Cheryl S.

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
(In past years I've never had the slightest difficulty,
and I've usually, IIRC, done it in late November or
early December -- often as part of her annual
check-up.)

By that time, she's already going through nearly half the flu season
unprotected, since the vaccine takes a couple weeks to be fully
effective. That is why they recommend high-risk individuals get it in
October, both to ensure it's available, and so it's effective before flu
season actually starts. I'd start getting it for her in October every
year, not wait for her check-up.

Old December 11th 03, 02:54 PM
Naomi

CC Bailey wrote in message ...
Naomi,

Have you considered the FluMist Nasal spray version of the
vaccine? We're just a bit south and west of you, and every one
around here is out of the shots, but there are still vials of the
FluMist around. I went to the Med Center pharmacy yesterday and
got two vials for my kids.

Apparently the FluMist is only for low risk people, so Shaina couldn't
use it anyway.

I called the ped this morning and, after calling back repeatedly,
finally got through, to hear a recorded message saying that they had
no flu vaccine; the expected shipment of 1000 doses had contained only
20... I stayed on the line and asked if they were SURE they had
none... explaining that Shaina was high risk... perhaps they had some
put aside for high risk patients??? She checked and reported that they
had ONE dose left in the fridge, and if I could bring SHaina in right
away, she could have it. So we did, and she got it.
(And, while we were in the waiting room, several other parents came in
asking about getting the shot for their kids ... and when I took
SHaina to school, and brought her inside to sign her in (since she was
late), I told the person at the desk (who happened to be the health
aid...) that we'd been at the doctor getting her flu shot. And she
said "Where did you get it????"

Naomi
(Who still thinks they need to make up their mind. If they're going to
say that EVERYONE needs to get it, they should have enough on hand for
EVERYONE, or else make sure that they always have some available for
the patients who need it most.)
Old December 11th 03, 02:59 PM
Cheryl S.

"Nevermind" wrote in message
om...
Why didn't I get her done in Oct.? Because I don't
go around getting my kids shots unecessarily and
panicking about normal illnesses like colds and flus.
It wasn't until recently (a few weeks ago?) that I
learned how bad *this* flu was, and learned that
babies under 2 are now rec'd to get the shot.

You gambled, and you lost. It's not the fault of other people who chose
to get vaccinated before you did. If you want to wait and see first if
the flu season is "bad" before getting the shot, then you risk it
running out. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I changed my
mind this week too, and tried to get my 2 YO in, but they were out of
vaccine. I don't blame anyone but myself, since I had equal opportunity
to get it earlier.

Though I can't help feeling a bit miffed about
healthy adults "using up" the vaccine at the expense
of those truly in need, of course the blame really
belongs to public policy, or the lack thereof.

There is a separate vaccine for those under 4, so FWIW, healthy adults
have not "used up" your 11 MO's vaccine.

Old December 11th 03, 03:00 PM
jojo

1. the flu outbreak is worse and earlier this year than in past years.
2. More vaccine was made this year than last year, but more people need
it this year.
3. Secondary infections are more aggressive this year, leading to greater
complications and death in some cases.
4. 4 children died in Colorado last month. 2 with asthma, 2 that were
perfectly
healthy prior to getting the flu.
5. (and remember this one) http://www.cdc.gov/od/nvpo/pandemics/flu2.htm
Every year could be the year for a pandemic flu outbreak.
If you have a child that is at greater risk, you must vaccinate every
year as soon
as the vaccine becomes available.

I am very sorry that you have to wait for the vaccine, and I truly hope your
child
never gets the flu. You do need to understand that you are putting an
asthmatics
life in danger buy waiting this late to get a flu shot. For healthy children
the flu can be
miserable, it can even hospitalize some children. For children (and adults)
with
compromised airways, the flu can kill. Although a common disease, it should
not
be taken lightly.

"Influenza (flu) is a highly infectious disease of the lungs, and it can
lead to pneumonia. Each year about 114,000 people in the U.S. are
hospitalized and about 36,000 people die because of the flu. Most who die
are 65 years and older. But children younger than 2 years old are as likely
as those over 65 to have to go to the hospital because of the flu."
~this from the CDC.

"How many people get sick or die from the flu every year?
Each flu season is unique, but it is estimated that approximately 10% to 20%
of U.S. residents get the flu, and an average of 114,000 persons are
hospitalized for flu-related complications. About 36,000 Americans die on
average per year from the complications of flu. "
~this from the CDC.

jojo

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
Am I missing something? (Don't answer that...)
Every year we have the flu. Right? And every year people are told to get

flu
shots if they are at high risk. And most of the rest of us, by and large,

don't
bother.
So WHY... this year, is EVERYONE being told to get flu shots, with the

result
that people who ARE at high risk, can't get them?

I'd been a bit lax about getting Shaina in for hers (just kept forgetting

call, and time got away from me.) She has always gotten one, due to her

asthma.
So, I finally call Monday, and am told that, due to high demand, they are
competely out of the vaccine. (the few doses they had left were already

spoken
for by people who had already called -- while I'd spent all morning trying

get through on the phone -- I feel sorry for any parent who had an actual
medical emergency that morning.) I point out that, due to her asthma, she
really needs the vaccine, and the doctor wants her to have it. Too bad. I
should call back later in the week, in the hopes that they will have more
vaccine in by then.

So... what am I missing? WHY have the parents of 1500 local children

suddenly
decided, in the past two weeks that THEIR healthy kids need flu shots?
(In past years I've never had the slightest difficulty, and I've usually,

IIRC,
done it in late November or early December -- often as part of her annual
check-up.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

Old December 11th 03, 03:09 PM
Sue

Allison (dd1) is in the high risk group to get a flu shot (liver transplant)
and we were called that the vaccine was in the first week of October. Since
we always get the shot, we have always gotten it much earlier than it seems.
Now it seems too late to be getting it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 11th 03, 03:12 PM
Sue

There are so many kids out right now at the girls school. Just about half
the class is gone from each of my three kids class. I was sitting in the
office this morning waiting for our meeting to start and there were probably
a half hours worth of messages that we were listening to about kids not
being there because they were sick.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
because this year this strand of flu is making normal staph infections
fatal, in otherwise healthy children.

So... therefore... surely even more dangerous for at risk kids. Making me
wonder why they do not have enough vaccine available so at-risk people can

get
it.

(Though, in truth, I'm not aware of any cases around here. Shaina says

no-one
at her school has been sick. A few kids have been out at the preschool,

but
it's the usual ear infections and colds -- and one kid was out today with,
apparently, a mild reaction to HIS flu shot....)

Old December 11th 03, 03:25 PM
lizzard woman

"AGreen1209" wrote in message

My question is, knowing this is supposed to be a bad flu season, why were

there
such a limited # of shots.

Isn't this backwards? I thought it was a bad flu season *because* they
guessed wrong about which strain would emerge (and possibly because it is a
particularly virulent strain). I'm not sure when they realized it was the
wrong strain but I think they planned on making the same number of shots as
every year.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old December 11th 03, 03:32 PM
jojo

Though I can't help feeling a bit miffed about healthy adults "using
up" the vaccine at the expense of those truly in need, of course the
blame really belongs to public policy, or the lack thereof.

I am an adult with asthma and I get a flu shot every year.
First, I know not to wait. Supplies could be limited in any given year,
and even if they are not, I do not want to expose myself to the flu without
protection. Every adult (yes, even the healthy ones) should realize that the
flu CAN BE serious.

You blame public policy...why?
Manufacturers can't afford to make 100 million vaccines each year only to
throw
half away.
Those truly "in need" should get their shots early. period. Not only to make
sure
the supply is available, but people truly "in need" should not take the risk
of
exposure because the get "busy". You can't blame a busy life on public
policy.
The flu is unpredictable. period. Experts take their best guess, but that is
all
they can do.

Let me tell you about another shortage.
My son got the flu a month ago. He is 15 months old and allergic to eggs, so
cannot get a flu
shot. He was diagnosed within 24 hours of his first fever and was treated
with tamiflu. His flu
lasted 3 days, that's it. We we went to get his tamiflu, we found we were
getting the last dose
available in our county (of 800,000 people) and in the surrounding 5
counties. It took 3 days to get
more tamiflu at that pharmacy. A news report last night said that they were
again out, and asking the
government to let compounding pharmacies recompound there existing adult
supply for children.

Daycares and elementary schools in our are are averaging 40% absentees right
now because of the flu.

and average of 36,000 Americans die of flu complications every year.
40,000 women died of breast cancer in 2002.
If you were a healthy adult, and a vaccine to prevent breast cancer were
available, would you get in line?
So, why would a healthy adult deny themselves protection?

jojo