CT: More from New Haven..

Old April 5th 05, 02:11 AM
Dusty

Default CT: More from New Haven..

Deadbeat dads in court after roundup

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp...5&nav=3YeXYGfh

New Haven-WTNH, Apr. 4, 2005 5:00 PM

New Haven police had a busy weekend rounding up deadbeat dads.
Dozens were arrested and several more turned themselves in for shirking
their child support responsibilities.

Angel Torres, Father, says, "I got picked up, brought to jail...and then I
had to get bonded out."

Angel Torres is just one of three dozen dads picked up in a sweep this
weekend. The state says they all fell behind on their child support.

Torres says, "I got into a car accident, my pelvis is fractured, so I
haven't been able to work, otherwise I would have been right on top of
everything."

But Torres fell behind, so he spent Friday night in the Whalley Avenue jail.
Twenty state marshals worked all weekend to put New Haven's deadbeat dads
behind bars. Sometimes the trouble was finding them.

Peter Criscuolo, CT Marshal says, "We had one hide in the bathroom and his
girlfriend, who is approximately 6 months pregnant, was standing in the door
and swearing that it was a closet."

That one and 36 others got arraigned in New Haven court. Torres only owes
$900, so he got out on bail.

But most of the other Dads who ended up in this jail this weekend owe a lot
more money. Some owe $10,000, $50,000 and some owe hundreds of thousands of
dollars, although there's at least one who claims he doesn't owe a dime.

"Rob", Father, says, "Have paid for years, wage withholding. Am current
today."

"Rob" didn't want us to use his last name. He says he was arrested by
mistake and says his cancelled checks prove it.

"Rob" says, "Paid by the dates and the amounts that they asked for. Support
enforcement makes a mistake and I'm hauled off to jail."

He says some fathers deserve to get arrested, but who that is depends on who
you are.

"Do you consider yourself a deadbeat Dad?"
Angel Torres, Father, says, "No, hell no, hell no. I'm responsible for my
kid."

The only thing necessary for the triumph
of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmond Burke

Old April 6th 05, 05:16 PM

Dusty wrote:
[...]

I hope they go after deadbeat moms next!

Old April 7th 05, 02:52 AM
Dusty

wrote in message
oups.com...

I hope they go after deadbeat moms next!

There were none on the list. If you've got a 'V', you go free. Gotta love
it.

Old April 7th 05, 03:50 AM

The noncompliance rate for NCP moms is like 50% too... so if 10% of CPs
are men and 50% of women are noncompliant, at least 1 in 10,
theoretically, should be a women. But nope, 30 men, no women.

Wait that is a low number. 20% of men noncompliant (high estimate) of
90% of NCPs. 50% of women noncompliant of 10% of NCPs. That would leave
25% of NCPs as noncompliant. Of this 25%, 20% are women, make that 1 in
5.

Old April 7th 05, 05:35 AM
Dusty

"J" wrote in message
oups.com...
The noncompliance rate for NCP moms is like 50% too... so if 10% of CPs
are men and 50% of women are noncompliant, at least 1 in 10,
theoretically, should be a women. But nope, 30 men, no women.

Wait that is a low number. 20% of men noncompliant (high estimate) of
90% of NCPs. 50% of women noncompliant of 10% of NCPs. That would leave
25% of NCPs as noncompliant. Of this 25%, 20% are women, make that 1 in
5.

Any way you slice it, if you've got a 'V', you still get over on the rest of
'em.

Old April 7th 05, 06:34 AM
Bob Whiteside

"J" wrote in message
oups.com...
The noncompliance rate for NCP moms is like 50% too... so if 10% of CPs
are men and 50% of women are noncompliant, at least 1 in 10,
theoretically, should be a women. But nope, 30 men, no women.

Wait that is a low number. 20% of men noncompliant (high estimate) of
90% of NCPs. 50% of women noncompliant of 10% of NCPs. That would leave
25% of NCPs as noncompliant. Of this 25%, 20% are women, make that 1 in
5.

I've been to only two court sessions where NCP's with arrearages were being
arraigned and hearing dates were set. The first time there were no women
out of 18 cases. The second time there was one woman out of 20 cases. In
my limited sample, one woman out of 38 cases is far fewer women than I would
have expected given the national averages.

In the second session, two of the guys were in shackles and wearing orange
jumpsuits. They were obviously in jail for some other offenses and the CS
arrearage arraignments were being added on to their legal troubles.

Old April 8th 05, 12:53 AM
spr

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in

In the second session, two of the guys were in shackles and wearing orange
jumpsuits. They were obviously in jail for some other offenses and the CS
arrearage arraignments were being added on to their legal troubles.

In Michigan, anyone with more than $10,000 in arrearage is a felon and will
be arrested.
Unless you can afford bail, you stay in the orange jump suit while wearing
full shackles.

That is the law!

Old April 8th 05, 01:52 AM
Dusty

"spr" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in

And the "law" is complete bull ****.

Old April 9th 05, 05:14 AM
spr

"Dusty" wrote in

That is the law!

And the "law" is complete bull ****.

Ever her the saying, "The law is an Ass!"?

As long as it's publicly acceptable to throw default NCP's into the criminal
system, the law will never change!
Is it morally correct to imprison poor people for their inability to pay
court ordered CS rates??