Varicose vein info and treatment (TMI and graphic)

Old April 7th 06, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Varicose vein info and treatment (TMI and graphic)

Ugh, you poor thing. This thread was enough to bring me out of lurkdom!! I
had a vulvar varicose vein pop up during my second pregnancy. It never bled
though, so I don't have any advice on that front. Can you sit on a "do-nut"
ring to take the pressure of the area? Your OB will have more advice about
the possibility of it bleeding during delivery.

FWIW, my varicosity went away after the birth of my second child. The bad
news is that it came back with a vengeance when I was pregnant with my
third. It never went away after his birth. It was often painful and aching
during pg #3. Again, it never bled. Now, it's still there, but not as
swollen or as obvious as it was during pregnancy. It aches a lot when I get
my period though.

It doesn't bother me too much on the whole. Although a Brazilian wax is
out of the question as it would be just FAR too ugly! LOL

HTH,
Annie
Mum to Lara (7), Jacob (5) and Oscar (4)

--
Design Team ~ www.scrappit.com.au
Design Team ~ www.charmingaccents.com.au
"carlye" wrote in message
ps.com...
Umm... I am having a rather embarassing varicose vein problem. I
think I've had the veins for at least a few weeks now, but two weeks
ago they were brought to my attention when I was "spotting," and they
were blamed as a possible reason, and now for the last few days they
have been causing me pain.

Anyway, as if my "spotting" reference didn't make it obvious, these are
not leg veins, they are in the vulvar area. They are large, unsightly,
and very painful -- like a very bad bruise or maybe a cut/scrape would
feel. I have found I cannot walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes without
the pain forcing me to stop, and sitting for long periods of time
(which I -have- to do -- my job is a "desk job.") causes problems, too.

So, three questions: 1) Can this cause any problems? I read there
could be problems with excessive bleeding during childbirth, and with
adequate bloodflow to the rest of my body and baby during pregnancy.
2) Are there treatment options? I read that I should avoid sitting or
standing for long periods of time, but like I said, I have to sit at my
job, there's no way around it. 3) Can I expect this to get worse
through the rest of the pregnancy? It is my understanding that it's
caused by the pressure of the baby -- it seems like since the baby will
only get bigger, that this problem is only going to get worse.

I am -really- unhappy and distressed by this problem. If anyone has
any advice, I would really appreciate it. I know it's an embarassing
subject. Thanks.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
#2 EDD 6-2-06

Old April 7th 06, 03:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

Would strengthening my pelvic floor muscles help? I wondered about
that, since they say to walk for varicose veins in your legs, I figured
trying to strengthen/increase blood flow in my "problem area" was what
I needed to do. I've been doing more kegels, but I haven't tried my
exercise ball. I will give that a shot, although I'll probably hold
off on bringing it to work for a while.

I dunno, but it might help?

Maybe see how it feels sitting on it when you are "sore".

here is one article I had bookmarked a while ago

http://adobedoulas.com/birthball.html

this is what it mentions as far as benefits.

Sitting upright on the Birth Ball you have to assume proper posture. It
is the perfect position to be in as much as possible during late
pregnancy. It is recommended that during the last 4 to 6 weeks of
pregnancy women sit on the birth ball as much as possible while watching
TV, relaxing or at the computer.

Sitting upright on the Birth Balls achieves the following:

* Increases blood flow to the uterus, placenta and baby
* Relieves pressure and can increase the pelvic outlet as
much as 30%
* Provides comfortable support for knees and ankles
* Provides counter-pressure to the perineum and thighs
* Mom's can lean forward and pelvic rock, sway and gently
bounce
* Upright posture works with gravity encouraging the
descent of the baby
Old April 7th 06, 03:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Annie wrote:
Ugh, you poor thing. *This thread was enough to bring me out of lurkdom!!

Oh, thank you, Annie! I was a bit dismayed to see that no one had
responded from a "been there, done that" point of view, so I really
appreciate your first-hand advice. :-)

Can you sit on a "do-nut"
ring to take the pressure of the area?

Sure. I don't know that anyone would sell those in my town, but I'll
ask my OB on Monday if he can "prescribe" one, or give me a
brand/website he recommends. Any other advice for alleviating pain?

FWIW, my varicosity went away after the birth of my second child. *The bad
news is that it came back with a vengeance when I was pregnant with my
third. *It never went away after his birth.

Oh, goodness. You definitely have my sympathy. Did you not have this
problem with your first, either? If I'd had this problem with DD, it
was not enough for me to even realize it, so I *think* it's new this
time around. Did you have bigger babies each time? I had read this is
most common with large babies and multiples. DD was nine pounds, so
she was already "big." But since I've got 8 weeks to go with this one,
he can't possibly be rivaling her size at term. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for coming forward. It's such an odd, embarassing
problem... I'm glad I'm not the only one!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
Baby boy "Hale" EDD 6-2-06

Old April 7th 06, 07:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Oh, thank you, Annie! I was a bit dismayed to see that no one had
responded from a "been there, done that" point of view, so I really
appreciate your first-hand advice. :-)

No problems! I remember, when I used to frequent this newsgroup while I was
actually pregnant, I was hesitant to ask people about it since it's such a
*delicate* issue. There were a couple of others who had BTDT.

Any other advice for alleviating pain?

In my case, standing for long periods made it worse so sitting actually
relieved my pain (not the case for you). Cold packs seemed to help - I
actually froze water in condoms and then covered them before applying them
to the ahem *area*. LOL

Oh, goodness. You definitely have my sympathy. Did you not have this
problem with your first, either? If I'd had this problem with DD, it
was not enough for me to even realize it, so I *think* it's new this
time around. Did you have bigger babies each time? I had read this is
most common with large babies and multiples. DD was nine pounds, so
she was already "big." But since I've got 8 weeks to go with this one,
he can't possibly be rivaling her size at term. Who knows?

No, there was nothing there when I was pg with my first. She was much
smaller than the boys. She was only 7lb 6oz, while #2 was 9lb 7oz. #3 was
looking at being a whopper too - I had an ultrasound at 35 weeks that
predicted he'd be in excess of 9lbs. Turns out I was induced at 38 weeks
(due to symphysis pubis dysfunction) so he was only 8lb 10oz. I was quite
dismayed to see that the varicosity didn't go away as it had after my second
I only have one though, not a few of them as it sounds like you do.

Anyway, thanks for coming forward. It's such an odd, embarassing
problem... I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I'm only sorry I can't offer more in the way of help or answers. Although,
sometimes just knowing that you're not the only one helps a tiny bit!
I'd definitely see your OB sooner rather than later if they are bleeding.

Old April 7th 06, 08:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* writes:
: Ericka Kammerer wrote:

: No, varicose veins can happen anywhere veins are near the
: skin. It is not that uncommon for women to have varicose veins
: in the vagina or vulva (though they are sometimes called
: hemorrhoids there too).
:
: Best wishes,
: Ericka

: Wow, you learn something new every day?

Nah, about every other day is my limit.

:-)
Larry
Old April 8th 06, 01:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

FWIW, I think I have this too now. It does seem to be a lot worse
standing than sitting, and I didn't have this problem with #1 either.
(I'm 26 wks with #2) Ugh. I'd like to hear what your OB says, I
don't see mine for a couple more weeks. Annie, you do make me nervous
now about trying for #3!

JJ

Old April 8th 06, 02:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

JJ wrote:
I'd like to hear what your OB says, I don't see mine for a couple more weeks.

Will do. Hopefully he's got some good advice. I'm sorry you're
finding yourself in the same boat I'm in; this is a rather unpleasant
condition.

-Carlye

Old April 8th 06, 05:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"carlye" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Ugh! sorry to hear about your variosities. Some natural remedies include
sufficient Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Try Bilberry Extract to strengthen the
blood vessel walls.

Good luck.

Warm Hugs

Carl