just a few questions

Old July 29th 04, 12:54 PM
Sophie

Default just a few questions

another qustion, what is swaddling?

When you wrap the baby up tight in a blanket - like a burrito. Babies seem
to startle themselves easily with jerky movements, if they're wrapped up
they tend not to. At least for my 1st and 2nd babies.

i think im just going to try the crib. me and my boyfriend live in a one
bedroom apartment so the baby will be in our room. i will just buy a
play pen,i saw one at shop ko with a bassinet that can be removed. that
will just stay in the living room. having the baby sleep in our bed is
already out of the question we decided. ive heard too many people tell
me as the baby gets older is still wants to sleep with you and you have
a harder time getting it to sleep in its own bed. plus i wouldnt feel
comfortabe and id be scared i would roll over him or something.
thanks for all of you answers and opinions!
peace and love

http://community.webtv.net/lindo_84/LindysPictures

Old July 29th 04, 06:30 PM
Beach mum

"Jane Thorpe" wrote
You dont need to get a bassinet - to be honest they make little
difference - you can get special boards that go across the centre of the
crib to make the crib half the normal length - this aids in the feet to

foot
theory that the SIDS campaigns recommend. babies often will wriggle until
their head touches something - possibly a comfort thing - feeling enclosed
etc. But to me it seems a waste of money to go out and buy a bassinet

that
often babies are only in for a few weeks as they quickly outgrow them.

I agree completely. However, we were given a bassinet and E slept in it for
three months in our room beside my bed. We loved it because it meant she was
close but not in our bed. (When we attempted to have her in our bed, none of
us slept well.) As for her head touching something, we simply put her in her
bassinet and, when we moved her into her own room in her crib, her crib with
her head touching the side. It was kind of cute seeing this tiny baby
squished into a corner of the crib with the back of her head jammed against
a bumper and the rest of the crib empty.

bassinets are pretty and look nice but are not necessary. Why get the

baby
unsettled twice? Once after birth and then again moving it from bassinet

crib? If you do decide to go with a bassinet - when you are ready to put
the baby in a crib place the bassinet in the crib and have the baby sleep

in
it in the crib for a few nights to get used tot he sight of the crib,

smell,
its surroundings etc.

Or not as it really depends on the baby. E, although not a fabulous sleeper,
doesn't sleep any worse in a pack-n-play. She transitioned from the bassinet
to the crib straight away without any interim steps. YMMV and remember to
try not to let your feelings about where the baby is sleeping and his/her
ability to change interfere with what the baby needs. For example, we spent
two nights with her sleeping in the bassinet in her room because we were
worried about how she'd make the transition. We needn't have bothered and I
should have trusted my instinct that she was easy about change.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old July 29th 04, 06:38 PM
H Schinske

(She's 1 year old
tomorrow.)

--angela

Oooh, happy birthday, Gwendolyn!

--Helen
Old July 29th 04, 06:40 PM
H Schinske

"Jane Thorpe" wrote
You dont need to get a bassinet - to be honest they make little
difference - you can get special boards that go across the centre of the
crib to make the crib half the normal length

That seems a little silly to me -- why not just put the baby in crossways?

--Helen
Old July 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Jane Thorpe

I think the worry is that the baby will wriggle and go under the covers if
you put the baby horizontally - I don't know - I have never used a crib
until the baby was 6-10mths old and then sometimes not at all so I wouldn't
bother either way I am just saying what the recommendations re SIDS are

Babies can wriggle horizontally and go under the covers - so they don't
recommend putting the bbay in horizontally - but then again they don't
recommend babies sleeping on their tummies either and yet 2 of mine did - I
go with the flow and know the risks and know my family risks and just do
what works best for us

Bws
Jane

Old July 29th 04, 07:51 PM
Sophie

"Jane Thorpe" wrote in message
I think the worry is that the baby will wriggle and go under the covers if
you put the baby horizontally - I don't know - I have never used a crib
until the baby was 6-10mths old and then sometimes not at all so I

wouldn't
bother either way I am just saying what the recommendations re SIDS

are

Huh? If you use a blanket (which I do) you put it the other way. Really not
that hard to work out.

Old July 29th 04, 07:53 PM
Jane Thorpe

I am just going by what my friend tells me - she works voluntarily for the
SIDS reserach thing in the UK - her DD died at 10 months from SIDS so she is
active with them. Like I say - it isn't something that effects me because I
don't use a crib stick with what works for you

I don't see why it would make any difference. We had one small blanket

over the
baby, no matter which way the baby was facing. It wasn't tucked in

anywhere
(unless we were trying to swaddle the baby, and then it was tucked around

the
baby, not the mattress). I've never actually heard of anyone recommending
against putting the baby crossways.

--Helen

Old July 29th 04, 08:56 PM
Jane Thorpe

roflmao I realise that I guess the thinking is that the baby has more
space either side to turn horizontally and get under the covers - I really
don't know - liek I say I don't use a crib. I am just saying what the
recommendations are - and like I have said I don't agree with them all as I
tend to do what works for us as a family and our children - which is what
all of us should do

Do what works for you

Bws
Jane