VBAC and induction

Old July 25th 04, 10:44 PM
Mary W.

Default VBAC and induction

Larissa wrote:

Mary W. wrote:

My midwife kind of threw me for a loop at my last appointment. I'm due
tomorrow (July 24) and have no signs of impending labor. I'm trying
for a VBAC (DD's c-section was over 3 years ago). So on Wed, I was
talking to the midwife and we were discussing what the next two
weeks brings. An ultrasound at 41 weeks to make sure things are
going well, and then she asked me how I felt about induction. I
was surprised, thinking they wouldn't induce a VBAC. She said they
wouldn't do the cervix ripening gels, but would do a low dose
pitocin. Any thoughts? I'm going to do some digging in the literature,
although I have time since we are talking at the earliest 41 weeks
and they'll let me go to 42 if everything is OK with baby (although
I'm not sure I can stand this for another 2 weeks!).

My blood pressure was a bit high at the last appointment, but
came down when I layed down for a bit. That may be what
prompted her comment about inducing.

She also told us to have lots of sex and go to a local
restaurant and get their eggplant parmisan, guarenteed to
put you in labor!

Mary

I am also in Aust. if that makes any difference.

My waters broke about 10 days after my due date. Unfortunately the baby
had moved from the ideal position and was high again. I walked around
and remained upright. After 27 hours I was asked if I wanted to try an
induction, since I was GBS+ and having intravenous antibiotics every 4-6
hours. Contractions were very slow, mild and about 20mins apart. I was
desperate or a VBAC so tried the induction. Unfortunately it produced
contractions but after about 8 hours I still had not dilated since the
baby had moved up and away from the cervix. The pitocin was kept at a
low level, due to the danger of rupture, but at the time, rupture was
not a big worry for me, I was more scared of going to theatre. I had
another section about 36 hours after my waters broke with no labor. The
OB said if I had not been GBS+ he would have given me till at least 48
hours for labor to establish.

Thanks Larissa, sounds alot like my reasons for my
c-section (water breaking, GBS +). Sorry for your
section. THankfully, this time I'm GBS - (there was
much rejoicing when that came back, buys me time if
my water breaks, and means I can stay home longer).

I've lots to think about, but hopefully it wont come
to an induction.

Mary

Old July 26th 04, 02:58 PM
Sophie

If you induce, there is a greater risk of uterine rupture. I have
seen the medical reports on it, and I am sure that there is someone
who can cite them for you. When I was considering VBAC for #2, my
hospital told me that they would not induce under any circumstances.
No pitocin and no ripening gels. (This is in Australia, so you can
consider that as well.)

Same here at my Navy hospital.

I don't know. Uterine rupture was my biggest fear throughout my
second pregnancy because simply being pregnant after a c-section can
cause it (although the risk is very low). I was with the doctors when
they said that they wouldn't induce, mainly because of my fears and
what I had read that said it wasn't good.

I had that fear the most with my 2nd pregnancy. Can't say I really thought
about it with my 3rd, and this time only when I had any pain (which I did
once or twice) right where my internal incision would be.

I wasn't 100% VBAC though. I did end up with a repeat c-section
because I choose to do that. If I was really, really wanting a VBAC,
my attitude may have been different. I wouldn't take the risk of
induction of any kind, but then I wasn't as committed to the whole
idea of VBAC.

--
Daye

I personally never wanted a VBAC. I felt like I was *supposed* to want one.
I knew I'd schedule another c-section.

Old July 26th 04, 09:48 PM
B. Felix

"Mary W." wrote in message link.net...
Irene wrote:

I'm doing fine. Pretty tired, and hot. DD's sleeping in her
winter pajama's because I insist on the house being kept
so cold! I'd forgotten how hard these last few weeks can
be.

Oh, I so relate to that! I've ended up telling my husband (nicely, of
course) that he can bundle up with blankets but I can't turn off the
oven the bun is in -- but it's harder to keep a 2-year-old securely
under covers at night, so I have to be careful about how low I turn
the A/C. At other people's houses I feel like the A/C isn't even on,
when it presumably is. And I couldn't believe how warm they were
keeping a Babies R Us of all places ... but maybe it was just me.

Provided baby stays healthy, I've still got 2 weeks
before induction becomes an issue - I'm not sure I
can stand this for 2 more weeks though!

How far along were you when you had your DD -- or was she an induction
or planned c/s? I can't really vouch for these stats but I keep
reading that 41w1d is "average" for a first-time mother and 40w3d for
a second timer. I am not sure whether that only includes spontaneous
labors.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful VBAC soon

B.
35w2d w/#2, VBAC hopeful
Old July 26th 04, 09:50 PM
B. Felix

"Mary W." wrote in message link.net...

I'm doing fine. Pretty tired, and hot. DD's sleeping in her
winter pajama's because I insist on the house being kept
so cold! I'd forgotten how hard these last few weeks can
be.

Oops -- sorry for the sloppy edit in my last reply, where it might
have looked like Irene said that.
Old July 26th 04, 10:22 PM
Mary W.

B. Felix wrote:
"Mary W." wrote in message link.net...

Provided baby stays healthy, I've still got 2 weeks
before induction becomes an issue - I'm not sure I
can stand this for 2 more weeks though!

How far along were you when you had your DD -- or was she an induction
or planned c/s? I can't really vouch for these stats but I keep
reading that 41w1d is "average" for a first-time mother and 40w3d for
a second timer. I am not sure whether that only includes spontaneous
labors.

I was 39w3d when my water broke. Labor shortly kicked in but I never
progressed. I think DD was malpositioned. So I ended up with a section.
This baby is much better positioned, I think, although still floating.

I guess since I didn't make it to 40w with DD, I thought I'd certainly
go before now. But I've read the same averages. A friend of mine just
had her second - 11 days late, so some have to be on the high side
of average, just hoping it wont be me! My SIL is coming in for 8 days
starting tomorrow, it would be nice if baby came while she was here.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful VBAC soon

Thanks! You too....

Mary

Old July 27th 04, 04:14 AM
Irene

"Mary W." wrote in message hlink.net...
B. Felix wrote:
[...]

I'm another one who skewed the statistics. Not only was dd 2 days
later than ds (39w 5days vs 39w 3d), her labor took 2 hours longer!
In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so surprised that it took longer,
but it really threw me for a loop at the time!

Irene
Old July 29th 04, 03:15 AM
Leslie

Mary W. Said:

was surprised, thinking they wouldn't induce a VBAC. She said they
wouldn't do the cervix ripening gels, but would do a low dose
pitocin.

I wasn't induced last time, but I was augmented. And they were even going to
use the gel on me until the nurse happened to read the package insert which
said this was a BAD IDEA. My doctor has indicated that he would suggest
induction if I show signs of pre-eclampsia again. I asked him if he didn't
think it was dangerous, and he said after last time he felt pretty confident in
the strength of my uterus.

Any thoughts? I'm going to do some digging in the literature,
although I have time since we are talking at the earliest 41 weeks
and they'll let me go to 42 if everything is OK with baby (although
I'm not sure I can stand this for another 2 weeks!).

My blood pressure was a bit high at the last appointment, but
came down when I layed down for a bit. That may be what
prompted her comment about inducing.

She also told us to have lots of sex and go to a local
restaurant and get their eggplant parmisan, guarenteed to
put you in labor!

We have heard the same thing about spicy foods. We have a tradition that on my
due date we go to Big Ed's Pizza. We've done that with every baby, and it
always freaks out the waitresses when they ask when I'm due and I say, "Today."

Leslie
Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old July 29th 04, 08:18 AM
Mary W.

Leslie wrote:
Mary W. Said:

She also told us to have lots of sex and go to a local
restaurant and get their eggplant parmisan, guarenteed to
put you in labor!

We have heard the same thing about spicy foods. We have a tradition that on my
due date we go to Big Ed's Pizza. We've done that with every baby, and it
always freaks out the waitresses when they ask when I'm due and I say, "Today."

I must say, this is the best thing about going postdates, the look
on people's faces when they ask when you are due and you say last
Saturday.

Looks like things might be moving along though. I had my membranes
stripped today and am currently having semi regular (every 10-15
minutes) contractions that are getting a little intense. Thought
I ought to get a snack and drink something in case it turns into
the real thing.

If baby isn't here by Friday (40w6d) we have a biophysisical
profile scheduled. If everything looks good, I continue to
wait. Hopefully, I'll miss that appointment!

Mary

VBAC Wendy Pregnancy 72 August 2nd 04 09:43 PM
Opinions on induction?? Jill Pregnancy 23 March 26th 04 04:15 PM
VBAC consult and questions larissa Pregnancy 0 October 31st 03 11:04 PM
VBAC vs repeat C... again... sorry Daye Pregnancy 33 October 24th 03 06:49 AM
Vbac questions Tara Pregnancy 10 October 21st 03 01:35 AM