hypernursing question

Old April 7th 04, 02:55 PM
Rachel

Default hypernursing question

My DD, 5.5 mos, has been nursing like crazy for the past few days. She
has always nursed frequently (every 2-2.5 hrs during the day, 4 hrs at
night), but now she's nursing every 2 hours more or less around the
clock and for long periods of time. She's really sucking - not dozing
at the breast and not "flutter" sucking. I would say it's a growth
spurt but it's so much more intense than her previous ones.

We were planning to start solids at around 7 months. Could this be an
indication of readiness? Should we start now instead of waiting? I was
delaying because she has shown signs of food sensitivities (dairy and
soy) and want to minimize risk of allergies.

Or is my supply decreasing or inadequate to keep up with her? I feel
so completely sucked dry and no longer feel "full" at all. She's I
feel like she's so hungry and I can't find a way to fill her up. also
completely rejecting the bottle so the freezer stash is not an option
(plus I'm trying to save it for when I go back to work). Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated!

Rachel
Old April 7th 04, 03:16 PM
Dagny

"Rachel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't think it's a sign of readiness. But this is my first baby.

I also went through a floppy tit stage but mine was at about four months.
It worried me that my supply might have been low, but it went away.

I think my DD Meg will be ready for solids when she starts eating them.
She's 5.5 months old now (but six months since her due date), and for maybe
three or four weeks I've been handing her food during some of my mealtimes
for her to play with so I can eat in good peace. Pizza crusts, tortilla
chips when we're out for Mexican, a banana. The other day we went out to
eat American, and I put some mashed carrot on a plate for her to mess with
during the meal, and gave her a crust of garlic bread. She's not eating,
she's just smearing it behind her ear or sucking on it. But I get to eat!
I don't really want her to start eating in a serious way any time soon.
Stink poo.

One of my friends went through a big to-do with her first baby, mashing up
baby foods, storing them in the freezer in ice cube trays. Next baby, she
did nothing special and one day the baby just started eating. I believe it
was some kind of pie and rye bread.

I am not a very uptight mom in many ways. In case you didn't notice I'm
not going to worry about food allergies unless I get a sign (like you did)
that something might be up.

-- Dagny

Old April 7th 04, 03:46 PM
nina

"Dagny" wrote

I think my DD Meg will be ready for solids when she starts eating them.
She's 5.5 months old now (but six months since her due date), and for

maybe
three or four weeks I've been handing her food during some of my mealtimes
for her to play with so I can eat in good peace. Pizza crusts, tortilla
chips when we're out for Mexican, a banana. The other day we went out to
eat American, and I put some mashed carrot on a plate for her to mess with
during the meal, and gave her a crust of garlic bread.

Hey? Whats "American"?? I'm really interested to see what is considered
"American" cuisine
in other countries. For some reason I imagine meatloaf, mashed potatoes,
corn and carrots,lol.

My baby at 5.5 months likes to gnaw on a chicken bone, she also has been
trying to steal food from us
she likes teething biscuits. Yummm

Old April 7th 04, 03:51 PM
Nikki

Rachel wrote:
My DD, 5.5 mos, has been nursing like crazy for the past few days. She
has always nursed frequently (every 2-2.5 hrs during the day, 4 hrs at
night), but now she's nursing every 2 hours more or less around the
clock and for long periods of time. She's really sucking - not dozing
at the breast and not "flutter" sucking. I would say it's a growth
spurt but it's so much more intense than her previous ones.

I wouldn't rule out growth spurt at all. My second had a massive one at
4.5-5 months old.

It could also be the return of your period. My babies nursed like crazy and
were fussy for 3-4 days with each cycle. I never had to supplement but I
think my supply did dip. It always came back on its own. Nursing was
irritating to me during those times too. It wasn't painful but it didn't
feel good either. That also went away each month on its own.

Or is my supply decreasing or inadequate to keep up with her? I feel
so completely sucked dry and no longer feel "full" at all.

Like I said...if you get your period it could be a minor dip. Are you
taking any medications that would dry you up? If not either of these two
things the chances that you are not able to produce enough milk for her at
this point are infinitesimally small. There is a point where your body will
never feel full unless you skip a whole day of nursing. Your body just
becomes in tune with your baby. For me that was 9mos with #1 and 3-4 months
for #2 so you can see that there is a wide variance.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 04:18 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Rachel wrote:

I would say it's a growth
spurt but it's so much more intense than her previous ones.

I still vote for growth spurt, or a new developmental skill working
itself out - that always made Caterpillar sleep and eat oddly.

We were planning to start solids at around 7 months. Could this be an
indication of readiness? Should we start now instead of waiting?

Not an indication of readiness. Don't start now. OTOH, there's no
particular reason to delay offering to 7 months, rather than 6, and some
evidence that parent-driven delays (as opposed to baby-driven delays)
past the 7th month (after she turns 7 months old) may have negative effects.

Besides, it's not as if she'd consume a significant number of calories
from solids at this point.

Or is my supply decreasing or inadequate to keep up with her?

AF came back for me at 6.5 months, and was preceded by 2 days of
power-nursing.

no longer feel "full" at all.

That's normal at this point. I can now go 6 hours during the day
without being uncomfortable, thank goodness.

I feel like she's so hungry and I can't find a way to fill her up.

Have you tried distraction? Caterpillar nurses when she's bored, or
tired, or unsure about a situation, but almost never nurses when she's
interested in something else. She's older than yours, but I think that
distractibility kicked in pretty early. It might give you a break, and
if amusement makes her not want to nurse, odds are she's not starving.

Phoebe

Old April 7th 04, 06:55 PM
Dagny

"nina" wrote in message

"Dagny" wrote

I think my DD Meg will be ready for solids when she starts eating them.
She's 5.5 months old now (but six months since her due date), and for

maybe
three or four weeks I've been handing her food during some of my

mealtimes
for her to play with so I can eat in good peace. Pizza crusts, tortilla
chips when we're out for Mexican, a banana. The other day we went out

eat American, and I put some mashed carrot on a plate for her to mess

with
during the meal, and gave her a crust of garlic bread.

Hey? Whats "American"?? I'm really interested to see what is considered
"American" cuisine
in other countries. For some reason I imagine meatloaf, mashed potatoes,
corn and carrots,lol.

Hah! That's funny because that was exactly what both of us ordered for
dinner. Meatloaf with musroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and a baby
carrot/broccoli mixture. But um, I was in the United States -- I called it
American because most of the time when we go out to eat I would call it
something else: pizza, barfood, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Tex-Mex,
California Mexican. I call American when I go out to eat and it's things
like meatloaf, steak, baked chicken, etc. and the sides are mashed potatoes,
carrots, green beans ...

What are American restaurants like in other countries?

We have a new English style pub in the neighborhood where they serve huge
burgers, various sausages and liver things, most of the side dishes are a
type of potato, and the only thing green is a salad, which is small and
overpriced.

-- Dagny

Old April 7th 04, 07:05 PM
toypup

"nina" wrote in message
Hey? Whats "American"?? I'm really interested to see what is considered
"American" cuisine
in other countries. For some reason I imagine meatloaf, mashed potatoes,
corn and carrots,lol.

I'm American and I think hamburger and fries.

Old April 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Cat

"Dagny" skrev i en meddelelse
.net...
What are American restaurants like in other countries?

Denmark:L

Burgers or Club Sandwiches (chicken, lettuce, bacon, curry dressing)

Fast food.

In our opinion a American Cuisine does not exist. You all eat burgers and
fried chicken :-)

Tine, Denmark

Old April 7th 04, 07:25 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Cat wrote:

Burgers or Club Sandwiches (chicken, lettuce, bacon, curry dressing)

Let me tell you, nothing with curry dressing would pass as American in
the US.

Phoebe

Old April 7th 04, 07:37 PM
Cat

"Phoebe & Allyson" skrev i en meddelelse
Cat wrote:

Burgers or Club Sandwiches (chicken, lettuce, bacon, curry dressing)

Let me tell you, nothing with curry dressing would pass as American in
the US.

....and what you call Danish Pastry we call Vienna Bread... :-D

Tine, Denmark

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM