Long intro and glucosamine ?

Old October 2nd 03, 12:54 AM
Auntie Bubbles

Default Long intro and glucosamine ?

Well hello all you mothers to be! I am Alexis, my nephews call me Auntie
Bubbles. I'm 39 years old, been married 10 years and am 11 weeks along ( so
my OB said today at our first visit) with my first baby.
I've had to make a lot of changes due to this pregnancy. I must have been
in some denial about my ability to become pregnant and have been living only
for myself as far as my health is concerned. I was a smoker for 25 years.
I never see a doctor unless I am in great pain or need stitches, because I
never had health insurance until now. I was accepted into a special plan
for working pregnant folks though the state I live in. Until this time, I
have self-medicated for many years.
All of this has changed in the 6 weeks that I have known I am pregnant. I
quit smoking. I quit drinking the occasional beer that I like so much.
I've stopped taking over the counter sleep aids. I've been a dedicated
low-carb dieter for years and have added more fruit and whole grains and 6
pounds to my body.
Here is my question. I have a hip joint that was causing me a lot of pain
(couldn't lie on my left side, can't run or walk a straight line for a long
time) until I started taking glucosamine a year ago. It helps tremendously.
I stopped taking it for 3 weeks after I found out I was PG, but the pain
increased, and I thought I saw someone on this group(I've been lurking, you
see) say that they take it so I started taking it again and got some relief.
I asked my OB today about it, and he said not to take it because there have
been no studies on it in pregnant women, he said I should take
acetaminophen, but that would require massive doses to keep me working
(waitress). Anyone here have any experience they are willing to share in
this area?
I realize that I am just looking for an answer that I'll like better, but
it seems that his only objection was the lack of long-term study, and I
dread trying to carry on my life without it. On the brighter side, this new
insurance I have may allow me to see a non-OB physician about this matter,
so I may get some answers and relief there, but I would appreciate input
from this forum.
Wishing all of us breezy-easy pregnancies,

Auntie Bubbles

Old October 2nd 03, 01:33 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Auntie Bubbles wrote:

*(couldn't lie on my left side, can't run or walk a straight line for a long
*time) until I started taking glucosamine a year ago. It helps tremendously.
*I stopped taking it for 3 weeks after I found out I was PG, but the pain
*increased, and I thought I saw someone on this group(I've been lurking, you
*see) say that they take it so I started taking it again and got some relief.
*I asked my OB today about it, and he said not to take it because there have
*been no studies on it in pregnant women, he said I should take
*acetaminophen, but that would require massive doses to keep me working
*(waitress). Anyone here have any experience they are willing to share in
*this area?

I have no idea about its potential effects on the fetus if any. But I
usually instruct clients to discontinue glucosamine supplements prior to
surgery due to possible adverse effects on platelet function; I would have
some concerns about using it in pregnancy for that reason. There are no
long-term conclusive studies on this that I know of, but someone presented
some suggestive data at a conference a few years ago which made me worry.

Old October 2nd 03, 01:25 PM
Sophie

Hi and welcome

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old October 2nd 03, 04:38 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Hillary Israeli" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I have no idea about its potential effects on the fetus if any. But I
usually instruct clients to discontinue glucosamine supplements prior

surgery due to possible adverse effects on platelet function;

Can you direct me to some more information on that? A study maybe?

My mum's on glucosamine and chondriotin, had surgery recently and will
need further surgery.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old October 2nd 03, 06:52 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Tatjana Farkin wrote:

*
*"Hillary Israeli" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
*
* I have no idea about its potential effects on the fetus if any. But I
* usually instruct clients to discontinue glucosamine supplements prior
* surgery due to possible adverse effects on platelet function;
*
*Can you direct me to some more information on that? A study maybe?

There's nothing showing statistically significant clinical effects. Here
is a study - as you see, there are some effects on platelet aggreggation,
but nothign that is a clinical problem. I am just super cautious.

Hematologic, Hemostatic, and Biochemical Effects in Cats Receiving an Oral
Chondroprotective Agent for 30 Days
Vet Ther 1[2]:108-117 Spring'00 Experimental Safety Study 35 Refs

* Paul S. McNamara, DVM; Stephen C. Barr, BVSc, MVS, PhD; Hollis N. Erb,
DVM, PhD; Laura L. Barlow, BS
* Capital District Veterinary Surgical Associates 1641 Main Street, Route
5S, Pattersonville, NY 12137
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of a
chondroprotective agent on hematologic, hemostatic, and biochemical
variables in clinically normal cats when administered at twice the
recommended levels for 30 days. Fifteen clinically normal female domestic
shorthaired cats were used. Twelve cats were given a chondroprotective
agent orally, twice daily for 30 days. Three cats served as environmental
controls and did not receive any treatment. The Wilcoxon's rank sum with a
Bonferroni correction was used to evaluate the data statistically.
Hematologic, hemostatic, and biochemical variables were assessed before
treatment and on days 3, 14, and 30 of treatment. All cats remained
healthy and showed no adverse reactions to treatment. No clinically and
statistically significant shift outside a standard reference range was
noted for any parameter. Hematocrit and red blood cell concentrations were
decreased from pretreatment concentrations during days 3, 14, and 30 of
treatment; however, these values were within a standard reference range at
all time points. No significant changes were noted in platelet count,
prothrombin time, or activated partial thromboplastin time. There were
significant decreases in platelet aggregation response to high and low
concentrations of collagen on day 3 and to the high concentration of
collagen on days 14 and 30 compared with pretreatment values, but these
values were not different from those of untreated cats. There was an
increased time to response with the high concentration but not the low
concentration of collagen on days 3, 14, and 30. Some parameters, such as
potassium, anion gap, alkaline phosphatase, and bicarbonate, showed
changes from pretreatment values at some but not all days of treatment.
However, median concentrations remained within normal reference ranges,
suggesting that these minor shifts were not indicative of clinical
significance.
Oral chondroprotective agents are widely prescribed in veterinary medicine
for the treatment of degenerative joint disease. Safety studies have been
performed in dogs; however, to date little is known about the safety of
their use in cats. In this study, administration of this chondroprotective
agent did not result in any clinically important change in hematologic,
biochemical, and hemostatic variables when administered to healthy adult
cats for 30 days at twice the recommended dosage. [Abstract]

Old October 2nd 03, 11:32 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Hillary Israeli" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

There's nothing showing statistically significant clinical effects.

Here
is a study - as you see, there are some effects on platelet

aggreggation,
but nothign that is a clinical problem. I am just super cautious.

Thanks a lot! None of her doctors mentioned any problems, but I'll pass
it on.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old October 3rd 03, 03:29 PM
Auntie Bubbles

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message :
I have no idea about its potential effects on the fetus if any. But I
usually instruct clients to discontinue glucosamine supplements prior to
surgery due to possible adverse effects on platelet function; I would have
some concerns about using it in pregnancy for that reason. There are no
long-term conclusive studies on this that I know of, but someone presented
some suggestive data at a conference a few years ago which made me worry.

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply, I have discontinued it for now
and will see a family practice Dr. in two weeks, hopefully to be referred to
an orthopedist soon.
Auntie Bubbles