Didn't realise pumping would be such a Pain!

Old October 2nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

Default Didn't realise pumping would be such a Pain!

"Donna Metler" wrote and I snipped:

Which may explain why I still pump, at 22 months, even though my supply is
down to a trickle.

Wow, Donna, I'm really impressed. It's wonderful what you did for your DD.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 7th 06, 11:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Pologirl

cjra wrote:
And I work in an office, normal office hours with a door which
locks and a kitchen w/sink to wash things, so surely it should be no
problem.

With a private office, I would get a pump that has a long tube
attachment between the pump and the collecting apparatus. Put the pump
under the desk, so the desk muffles some of the sound. Return phone
calls or write e-mail or do other desk work while pumping. Pumping
need not require a break from work.

I am using a Ameda dual pump now, rented from the hospital. Mostly I
use it in single mode; I am finding double pumping very awkward. I am
still working on adjusting the fit and I don't yet have a pumping bra.
The lactation consultant who rented the Ameda pump to me said
maximizing the cycle rate would maximize milk yield (turn the CYCLES
dial toward MAX). But the instructions that come with the pump
attachment kit says the reverse: to maximize yield, slow the cycle
rate ie maximize the cycle duration (turn the CYCLES dial toward MIN).
Those instructions work best for me. The slower rate means the pump
applies vacuum for a larger proportion of each cycle. This makes the
milk actually *flow* into the bottle! I adjust the VACUUM dial so that
the flow continues for the duration of the vacuum phase of the cycle.

What I forgot about - MEETINGS! And because my office is separate from
the main office, often those meetings require driving.

I used my WhisperWear pumps for hands-free pumping while driving. I
stopped the car to do setup and take down. On long car rides I would
drive and pump, and DH would sit in back to bottle feed Monkey Boy.

Old October 9th 06, 01:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I'm in awe of EP'ers, I feared for a bit I might have to do that if DD
got too attached to the bottle at NICU (now we have the opposite
problem), and I just can't imagine how hard it would have been. I doubt
I'd have lasted long. I'm amazed by people who actually *choose* to EP.

I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who has chosen it and then carried
on right through to age 1. A lot who do end up with something in the middle,
where they pump, say 3 times a day and give that and supplement with
formula. Or if they are a "milk cow", feed exclusively ebm on 3-4 pumps a
day for 3-4 months, think they are going to make it and then find their
supply vanishing.

Cheers

Anne

Old October 9th 06, 06:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who has chosen it and then
carried on right through to age 1. A lot who do end up with something in
the middle, where they pump, say 3 times a day and give that and
supplement with formula. Or if they are a "milk cow", feed exclusively ebm
on 3-4 pumps a day for 3-4 months, think they are going to make it and
then find their supply vanishing.

Did it for 11 months and through three pumps until my thyroid blew
completely and I went from a solid 8 ounces a pump down to less than 1. .

Jess