Speaking of cats.... help!

Old May 23rd 04, 03:22 AM
Crystal Dreamer

Default Speaking of cats.... help!

So we've got the nursery set up, we're ready for the boys, but our cat is in
the way. She keeps jumping in the crib, the cradle swing and the bassinet.
Any suggestions on keeping her out of it?

Thanks!

Old May 23rd 04, 03:38 AM
Plissken

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote in message
So we've got the nursery set up, we're ready for the boys, but our cat is

in
the way. She keeps jumping in the crib, the cradle swing and the

bassinet.
Any suggestions on keeping her out of it?

Thanks!

Cats hate tin foil so you could try putting tin foil in the crib, swing and
bassinet before the babies arrive. That way they will learn that they don't
like being up there. I've also heard putting balloons in the crib work as
well.

Old May 23rd 04, 01:39 PM
Sue

Putting foil in the crib and other places, as cats don't like the foil.
However, I got a spray bottle of water and squirted our cat when he got into
the crib once. I sprayed him with the water, and he never did that again.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 23rd 04, 02:36 PM
Kim E.

In article %VTrc.7596$hi6.833833@attbi_s53, crystaldreamer02
@hotTRASHmail.com says...
So we've got the nursery set up, we're ready for the boys, but our cat is in
the way. She keeps jumping in the crib, the cradle swing and the bassinet.
Any suggestions on keeping her out of it?

If you don't already have a window seat for the cat, I highly recommend
one! Our cats Love the window seat and since we got one, the cats lie
on the couches less, meaning less cat hair to clean up! There is the
old squirting the cat with water while saying "No" when they venture
into a forbidden zone, but that never works for me long term, they will
move to get away from the spray, but it doesn't stop my cats from going
back as soon as I am not looking!

-kim
Old May 23rd 04, 04:25 PM
Donna Metler

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
In article %VTrc.7596$hi6.833833@attbi_s53, crystaldreamer02
@hotTRASHmail.com says...
So we've got the nursery set up, we're ready for the boys, but our cat

is in
the way. She keeps jumping in the crib, the cradle swing and the

bassinet.
Any suggestions on keeping her out of it?

If you don't already have a window seat for the cat, I highly recommend
one! Our cats Love the window seat and since we got one, the cats lie
on the couches less, meaning less cat hair to clean up! There is the
old squirting the cat with water while saying "No" when they venture
into a forbidden zone, but that never works for me long term, they will
move to get away from the spray, but it doesn't stop my cats from going
back as soon as I am not looking!

-kim

I'm concerned about this, too-we have four furballs in the house, and our
house is set up in a rather strange floor plan-the middle bedroom (the one
which will be a nursery) is actually connected via doors to the other two
bedrooms, not a hallway. So, adding the den, living room, and kitchen/dining
room to it, we've got a race track! If we shut the cats off from the baby,
we remove their access to the racetrack, and probably to our bedroom as well
(since I don't plan to close that connecting door when the baby is in the
room), and they're not going to be happy about not having people to sleep
with.

I'm not worried about any of the old wives tales, but I know they like to
snuggle with sleeping humans, and since they're each bigger than a newborn,
I have fears of them accidentally smothering the baby. I'm not really
worried about them scratching or biting the baby until the baby gets old
enough to bother them-and hopefully we'll be able to teach how to play with
kitty nicely. They do fine with my niece (who is 2 now, and considers them
the best toy in the house).

Has anyone had any success in converting indoor-only cats to indoor-outdoor
ones? My husband thinks that it would be good to give them a way to "escape"
and more place to run (since they're going to lose their main running area
indoors) but I'm more worried about losing them or them bringing in
diseases.

Old May 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Donna Metler wrote:

I'm not worried about any of the old wives tales, but I know they like to
snuggle with sleeping humans, and since they're each bigger than a newborn,
I have fears of them accidentally smothering the baby. I'm not really
worried about them scratching or biting the baby until the baby gets old
enough to bother them-and hopefully we'll be able to teach how to play with
kitty nicely. They do fine with my niece (who is 2 now, and considers them
the best toy in the house).

They won't sleep with the baby, most likely. The
vast majority of cats avoid babies like the plague. I don't
think you need to worry about that at all. Just don't allow
unsupervised access.

Has anyone had any success in converting indoor-only cats to indoor-outdoor
ones? My husband thinks that it would be good to give them a way to "escape"
and more place to run (since they're going to lose their main running area
indoors) but I'm more worried about losing them or them bringing in
diseases.

I would not even consider this option. I've had
indoor-outdoor cats in the past, and it is far, far more
dangerous to the cats. At the very least, expect your
vet bills to escalate significantly. We have two indoor
cats and have never had the first problem with them and
the babies. It can be nice to give them a safe spot of
their own, epecially when baby gets mobile. For that, you
can just get them a nice cat tree where they can escape
high enough to be out of his/her reach.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 23rd 04, 08:41 PM
Coccinella

Spraying them with water worked wonderfully for my two fur babies. When the
baby arrived they were aff the baby stuff. The little (14 lb!) one likes
sitting in the bouncer when Alexandra is not in it, but for obvious physical
reasons (he is a big kitty!) he never tries to go in it when the baby is
there.

Love
--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Daye

On Sun, 23 May 2004 02:22:51 GMT, "Crystal Dreamer"
wrote:

So we've got the nursery set up, we're ready for the boys, but our cat is in
the way. She keeps jumping in the crib, the cradle swing and the bassinet.
Any suggestions on keeping her out of it?

Well, I had a good long talk with my cat about how certain areas were
baby only, and he couldn't sleep there. I then closed the door to the
baby's room so he had NO access to them. If the door was left open
and I found him asleep on the baby's things, he was told NO! and then
taken out of it. I did it every time I found him there. He
eventually gave up.

I also continued to explain to him that those were for the baby ONLY
and he wasn't allowed to be there. It did help.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old May 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
Amy

We have three cats who consider the baby's room to be theirs (no-one told
them so, they just claimed it!). We're in a rental but we're looking to buy
a security or fly screen door that we can put up temporarily to keep the
cats out, but so that we can still hear baby crying etc and allow the air to
circulate.

Old May 23rd 04, 11:52 PM
Jill

One thing I want to mention if your cat is like mine, the problem will end
when the babies get here. My cat RUNS from the baby, who she seems to view
as a noise machine! She tried to get in things when I was pregnant but
avoids them like the plague when the baby is here!

Jill