advice needed - what to put on baby registry?

Old May 24th 04, 08:26 PM

Default advice needed - what to put on baby registry?

Okay, I know that Emily Post looks down on baby registries - but this
is the first grandchild on both sides of the family so I am pretty
much being asked to register somewhere because the grandmothers are
really excited and want to shop (I know we are very lucky) - we also
have a ton of cousins that we have sent baby gifts to over the years
who want to get us things - they are so happy we finally got around
to jumping on the baby train -they all have several kids at this
point.

Anyway, I know I could just tell my family what we need, but then they
would continue asking me to register somewhere... they kind of expect
us to register. I also have an aversion to having too much useless
stuff so I'd like to make sure the gifts we get are either things we
can really use or sentimental items (for instance, I'm hoping one of
our aunts makes us a baby quilt as she's quilter, but of course that
doesn't go on a registry )

So, having never had a child before, what should I register for? I've
done some reading of past posts on this group and it seems like Babies
R Us is the best place to register. The things I think we would like
so far a

- Arm's Reach co-sleeper
- Ultimate Baby Wrap
- some kind of breast pump? not sure what kind to get (I may want to
buy that myself since I don't know if I'd feel weird if one of my
cousin's bought me a breast pump!) but still like to know what kind to
get
- some kind of stroller that's light that you can put a carseat in and
that folds up easily to be loaded into car etc. again, not sure what
kind to get
- baby clothes, onesies etc.
- rocking chair (my mom loved hers and wants to get me one, any
suggestions?)

We already have a swing and a crib which are hand me down gifts from
other people.

So does anyone have suggestions?

TIA
Old May 24th 04, 08:42 PM
Mary W.

wrote:

[...]

Since you may have lots of people interested in buying for you, you'll
want to make sure you have a big range of prices for them. Adding
to your list would be a car seat, bedding for the crib, plus you could
register for things you'd like later - an exersaucer, toys, high chair.
Umm...what else did I get? Boppy pillow, infant first aid kit,
baby bath tub (which we hardly ever used), avent bottle starter kit
(if nursing, I wouldn't request alot of bottles, you'll never know
which ones baby would like but we found it useful to have
some on hand). If you'll be nursing but want to occaisionally pump,
the avent isis manual pump is nice (and only ~40$ I think).
I registered for the pump in style, but didn't get it. Contoured
changing pad and covers.

Mostly we just walked around Babies R us and registered for
whatever looked good. I did research the car seat I wanted,
and we got a travel system which I hated. We'll be getting a
Kolcraft universal carseat carrier for baby #2 to use as a stroller.
We got a pack n play instead of the co-sleeper, but DD ended
up in our bed so we never used it as a bassinet. Our nanny did
use it later for naps and such for DD.

The book Baby Bargains by Denise and Allen? Fields has
many recommendations, and I used that as a guide for what
we decided to register for. You really don't need much, but
many people do like to purchase off a registry, so we
registered too.

Mary

Old May 24th 04, 09:08 PM
Cherie

The book Baby Bargains by Denise and Allen? Fields has
many recommendations, and I used that as a guide for what
we decided to register for. You really don't need much, but
many people do like to purchase off a registry, so we
registered too.

Mary

I second this book, had a lot of recommendations and reviews of everything
for babies. Definatley register for items varying in price range. DH & I had
a list of things we new we wanted to register for and then just went up and
down every isle at Babies R Us and started scanning for the original items
on our list plus anything else we thought was cute, neat, etc. And later I
was truely amazed with how much we recieved. Everyone loves buying stuff for
babies. Good luck.

Cherie
mom to Jakob (21 months)
baby (Grace) EDD 8/6/04

Old May 24th 04, 09:13 PM
Kim E.

In article ,
says...
[...]

I am in the same situation you are where I was sort of forced into
registering for baby stuff. Beware tho, for me, registering did not
stop the pressure - now I am hearing "you didn't register for enough big
things for all the aunts to buy, why did/didn't you register for such
and such." Anyway, I also registered for crib sheets and mattress pads.
What about a monitor or a pack n play or bouncer. I am just passing on
advice from others as I haven't had my baby yet!

-kim
Old May 24th 04, 11:02 PM
melizabeth

What I thought was really helpful on BabysRUs, was that there was a quick
registry and a parent checklist. All you had to do was click on the link
and it took you to the items.

I researched car seats, strollers,high chairs, cribs, pack n plays, sheets,
well...lots of stuff. Many posters have given you some great ideas about
price ranges, and I would suggest that if you are going to register for some
onesies and other clothing, etc...register for a variety of sizes as well.
From what I've learned, those newborn sizes don't last too long. I would
also look at books and Baby Einstein stuff. A cool thing about
Amazon.com/BabysRUs, is the customer reviews, which I find invaluable. Also
some people have made lists of what they found helpful with their babies and
you can review what they purchased. If you still aren't sure about what to
pick...look up some stuff on www.eopinions.com I ended up purchasing a
Lands End Diaper Backpack due to rave reviews.

Other items to think about...contoured changing pads, cloth diapers as
burping rags, receiving blankets, thermometers, bedding set, Boppy pillow
and different covers so you can switch out and wash them. Once you get
going, it is hard to stop. I have refined my list several times by adding
and dropping things.

BTW...just checked out Letitia Baldridge and Amy Vanderbilt...neither
mention registries, but do mention asking the mother for a list of items
needed.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Sarajoyo

wrote in message . com...
So, having never had a child before, what should I register for? I've
done some reading of past posts on this group and it seems like Babies
R Us is the best place to register. The things I think we would like
so far a

- Arm's Reach co-sleeper
- Ultimate Baby Wrap
- some kind of breast pump? not sure what kind to get (I may want to
buy that myself since I don't know if I'd feel weird if one of my
cousin's bought me a breast pump!) but still like to know what kind to
get

The Avent Isis is pretty popular for moms that breastfeed and only
pump occasionally. It's a reasonable price too.

- baby clothes, onesies etc.

Honestly, maybe put a few of those on there so that people know you
need them, but I think people really enjoy picking out baby clothes
themselves. If you know the baby's gender and want gender-specific
stuff, you might mention the gender on the registry though, or specify
gender-neutral, a preference for Pooh or jungle animals or pastels,
whatever. (Beware that if you do mention a preference for something
theme-ish, you may receive a lot of stuff in that theme. Some people,
like myself, don't mind that at all, but others do.)

- rocking chair (my mom loved hers and wants to get me one, any
suggestions?)

I highly recommend waiting to buy this until the baby arrives. Ours
was also a gift, but we waited until DD was about 5 weeks old, and DH
and I went and tried a bunch until we found one that was comfy for
both of us. He's a foot taller than I am, and I wanted it to be
comfortable for nursing. After a couple of weeks, I was pretty
comfortable with nursing, so we found something where the arms were
the right height for me for nursing. We ended up with a padded
armchair type of rocker/recliner, and we all love it. I've used it
multiple times every day for over two years, and it's just wonderful.

We already have a swing and a crib which are hand me down gifts from
other people.

So does anyone have suggestions?

Smallish stuff -- sheets, towels, washcloths, a variety of blankets,
bibs, toys, toiletry items, nursery decorations, etc. People will
probably pick out a bunch of this stuff on their own anyway, which is
a lot of fun, IMO, but if you have really specific preferences, you
might choose some. Or choose very basic ones just to give the idea
that you would appreciate some of that item, but that you aren't too
picky.
Larger stuff -- carseat(s), high chair, bouncy seat, exersaucer,
portable crib/playard if you expect to need one, baby gates. . .
Those things make nice group gifts (or gifts from grandparents), and
even if the baby doesn't need them at first, it's nice to have stuff
available when you need it, especially if people are wanting to buy
bigger items now.

Just put a wide range of prices on there.

-Sara