Help Low HCG Levels!

Old July 20th 04, 08:29 PM
DylansMom

Default Help Low HCG Levels!

Help! I need to know if anyone out there has experienced anything
similar to what is happening to me!

When I was 4wks 4days from LMP, my level was tested at 52, 2 days
later it was 55. At 5wks 1day it had gone up to 92. Now I am at
6weeks 1day and it is at 299.

The doctors aren't sure what is going on and are going to do a
sonogram this Friday. In the meantime, I am wanting to see if this
has happened to anyone else and what the outcome is. I'm scared and
unsure as to what is going on.

Please help!

Thanks,
Michelle
Old July 20th 04, 09:25 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:29:24 -0700, DylansMom wrote:

Help! I need to know if anyone out there has experienced anything
similar to what is happening to me!

Dear Michelle, I experienced this leading up to my third m/c. My hCG's
were low, but rising. However, they never truly doubled as they should
have and the midwife was at a loss what was going on. One thing you want
to exclude asap is an ectopic pregnancy, they will see that on the u/s,
but most likely you would have started to feel severe pains by now. I'm
sorry it isn't better news. I sincerely hope you are one of the few
exceptional women who have low hCG and perfectly healthy pregnancies.

For more info, have a look he
http://tinyurl.com/3yaky

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old July 20th 04, 09:34 PM
Mary W.

DylansMom wrote:

Help! I need to know if anyone out there has experienced anything
similar to what is happening to me!

When I was 4wks 4days from LMP, my level was tested at 52, 2 days
later it was 55. At 5wks 1day it had gone up to 92. Now I am at
6weeks 1day and it is at 299.

The doctors aren't sure what is going on and are going to do a
sonogram this Friday. In the meantime, I am wanting to see if this
has happened to anyone else and what the outcome is. I'm scared and
unsure as to what is going on.

Unfortunately, my experience isn't great. I had slow rising hCG levels
with my first pregnancy. Serial ultrasounds a week apart (6,7,8 weeks)
showed no fetal pole or heart beat and very little growth. I think my
levels then started dropping, indicating what was likely a blighted
ovum (I think). I ended up with a D&C.

Your ultrasound should give you an idea of what is going on, I hope
your numbers rise and you see what you should. How's your progesterone?
Mine was low, and they never suggesting supplementing it, but it might
be worth talking to your doctor about.

Wishing you the best.....

Mary

Old July 20th 04, 10:31 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:34:23 -0400, Mary W. wrote:

How's your progesterone?
Mine was low, and they never suggesting supplementing it, but it might
be worth talking to your doctor about.

It probably wouldn't prevent a m/c at this point, most likely it would
delay things. For progesterone supplements to be effective to prevent m/c,
they must be taken from a few days after ovulation. Even so, the jury is
still out on whether it does help or not.

The low progesterone at this stage is a consequence of impending m/c, not
a cause. I had low progesterone as well, and tried to supplement with wild
yam. It bought me a couple of days at best. There is no harm in trying,
but I wouldn't expect it to work miracles.

Old July 21st 04, 03:36 PM
DylansMom

Well, I started spotting yesterday. I called my doctor and they want
me to do another blood test today (not sure why), and want to wait to
do the sonogram on Friday still. I hate waiting.

I'm assuming the blood is the m/c, but my doctor won't give me any
clear answers. I guess I will see what happens on Friday.

Thanks for replying,
Michelle
Old July 21st 04, 10:25 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:36:30 -0700, DylansMom wrote:

Well, I started spotting yesterday. I called my doctor and they want
me to do another blood test today (not sure why), and want to wait to
do the sonogram on Friday still. I hate waiting.

I know, it's definitely the *worst* part of it. Possibly they want to see
if your numbers have started to fall or not. If they did, you are clearly
starting to m/c. In any case, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm assuming the blood is the m/c, but my doctor won't give me any clear
answers. I guess I will see what happens on Friday.

It is really hard to tell for them what is going on before they do an u/s.
I'm sure they don't want to give you any false hopes, but also don't want
to freak you out. I don't quite understand why they have you waiting
though, since ectopics are potentially life threatening situations, I'd
want to know asap. OTOH, you have no cramps or anything yet, and by
waiting a few more days the sitation is much easier to judge.

What happens in your body is that due to the low hCG levels, your corpus
luteum is not producing enough progesterone to maintain the uterine
lining. That causes your body to start to dispell it, just like when you
get your perdiod. At first it is relatively slow, like spotting or a light
period. When your hCG starts to drop, your progesterone will fall rapidly,
and you will start to m/c. At this point in pregnancy it should be no more
than a heavy period. The cramping can be nasty though, a bit like real
labour: the pains come and go, like contractions.

I'm so sorry you are facing this. Please take good care of yourself and
prepa the mental blow often doesn't come until it's all over. I still
pray things will take a turn for the better, but it doesn't look good

Old July 22nd 04, 01:59 AM
Kaybee

"DylansMom" wrote in message
om...
Well, I started spotting yesterday. I called my doctor and they want
me to do another blood test today (not sure why), and want to wait to
do the sonogram on Friday still. I hate waiting.

I'm assuming the blood is the m/c, but my doctor won't give me any
clear answers. I guess I will see what happens on Friday.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Kay

Thanks for replying,
Michelle

Old July 23rd 04, 08:08 AM
HOWA476

sorry to say things don't look good michelle I have experienced the same thing
with my first pregnancy but even worse. I knew I was pregnant but couldn't get
an HCG or even a blood test to pick anything up. I spotted through 2 months
and finally got an HCG test to pick up a line. So I called the local clinic
got them to do a test and confirmed what I already knew went to see my doctor
and he tested my HCG blood levels every other day for about 2 weeks and found
that I was raising but not like I should. I went an had an u/s that showed I
was 9 wks but was actually only 4wks I had a blighted ovum. the next day I saw
my doc who informed me to meet him at the hospital that night for a DnC. all
through the day I had heavy cramping almost contraction like with heavy
bleeding. I hope things are better for you then they were for me. Oh after the
M/C it took me 3 years to get pregnant again.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03

Insomnia Zaz Pregnancy 8 July 3rd 04 07:00 PM
fluid levels tracy Pregnancy 1 February 15th 04 11:30 PM
fluid levels tracy Pregnancy 0 January 19th 04 08:09 PM
PE/Recess time mandates Donna Metler General 190 October 2nd 03 01:26 PM
bouncing sugar levels & big heads (long SORRY!!) Jinxie Pregnancy 4 September 23rd 03 02:38 AM