introduction

Old July 27th 04, 11:13 PM
H Schinske

Default introduction

PS: We are considering Lydia as a name for the Unnamed Daughter, among
others. Any commentary? Ever wish you were named something else, or do
you like it? It seems like a nice sort of name that would be hard to
make a nickname of.

I knew a woman in college named Lydia. I think it's a beautiful name.

--Helen
Old July 28th 04, 01:04 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Appreciate the commentary! My names list is all over the place at the
moment, but I figure I have some time still to narrow the field. I get
the first name, and husband picks the middle one, but we both have to
agree with each other's pick as well.
Thanks!
-Rebecca

Lydia wrote:

PS: We are considering Lydia as a name for the Unnamed Daughter, among
others. Any commentary? Ever wish you were named something else, or do
you like it? It seems like a nice sort of name that would be hard to
make a nickname of.

I've always been happy with my name and never had any teasing problems. It
has extra special meaning for me as it was the name of my great grandmother
who was an extraordinary woman.

People often times misread it as Linda. There is also a song that goes
"Lydia, oh Lydia, Oh have you seen Lydia. Lydia the TAT-tooed ladyyyyy". I
believe Robin Williams sung it in the movie "The Fisher King" (and there was
also a character named Lydia in that movie). So I get comments once in a
great while referring to that song, but only from people old enough to know
the song. I get way more compliments than references to the tattoo song.
One downer that *I've* thought of, but no one has ever used against me is
that it does rhyme with the STD, Chlamydia. So eeek there, but do consider
the name. I've never had any trouble . It's been appearing more and more
in tv and movies, too.

From a naming book: "Means "of Lydia" in Greek. Lydia was a region on the
west coast of Asia Minor. In the New Testament this is the name of a woman
converted by Saint Paul. "

I was in a museum once and learned that the region of Lydia (now in Turkey)
had their own monetary system and was quite successful for a while. They
had some of the coins and artifacts from the civilization on display. Was
really cool. The Lydia in the bible sold purple-dyed cloth.

Happy name hunting and thank you for your advice!
Lydia

Old July 28th 04, 01:30 AM
H Schinske

People often times misread it as Linda.

Forgot to ask, do people mis-hear Lydia as Olivia? That name is quite common
these days, at least where I live.

--Helen
Old July 28th 04, 04:53 PM
Lydia

"H Schinske" wrote in message
People often times misread it as Linda.

Forgot to ask, do people mis-hear Lydia as Olivia? That name is quite

common
these days, at least where I live.

--Helen

Well, not for me, although I can see how they would get it. When it
happens, it's always Linda or some similar funky version like Lindia.
Although when I was around 8 or 9 my friends sometimes called me Olivia
because I liked Olivia Newton John. But that wasn't a case of mis-hearing
my name, just my repeated singing (to everyone's annoyance) of Xanadu and
songs from Grease :-).

Lydia

Old July 29th 04, 05:18 PM
Joybelle

"H Schinske" wrote in message
PS: We are considering Lydia as a name for the Unnamed Daughter, among
others. Any commentary? Ever wish you were named something else, or do
you like it? It seems like a nice sort of name that would be hard to
make a nickname of.

I knew a woman in college named Lydia. I think it's a beautiful name.

I have a cousin named Lydia. She was nicknamed by my sister and I, and we
called her "Lid" or "Leeeeeedia". Nonetheless, I think it's a beautiful
name myself.

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

Introduction Shawn M. J. Mann Pregnancy 11 June 28th 04 09:25 PM
Introduction Elly General 6 October 18th 03 05:23 PM
introduction silivrenglaur Pregnancy 10 October 9th 03 05:05 PM
Hi all..introduction, questions, fears (misc. mentioned) Nancy Verzich Pregnancy 6 September 19th 03 08:16 PM
Introduction Christa Pregnancy 1 August 16th 03 02:39 AM