Cloth diaper question...

Old January 20th 09, 07:06 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Cloth diaper question...

For those that ever did cloth diapers...
What would you say is the absolute minimum to have on hand?
With DS I didn't really cloth diaper him. At that point, I didn't have the
money to buy cloth diapers or use a diaper service, the know-how to make
them or a washing machine (I was hauling laundry to my parents' place once a
week to do laundry OR using the pay laundry facilities in the apartment I
lived in, but that was a major cost so it was rare)
With DDs I did do cloth diapers, but not full time...
With this one, I'm going to do cloth basically full time. There's really no
reason for me to waste more money that I don't have to diaper a 3d (DDs are
both still in diapers, although I think DD2 is showing some interest in the
potty, but DD1 is NOT)
I've been trying to do massive amounts of sewing of diapers once again, and
I'm wondering how many I should ideally have handy...
So far I have 23 fully made. They're supposed to be small/newborn size, but
they seem to look fairly big to me, so I'm pretty sure they'll last a while.
I do have a washer and dryer, but I don't care to do tiny loads of diapers
daily... I'd rather use a diaper pail and do a load of diapers every 3 or so
days...
Any suggestions on how many diapers I should have handy and ready to go?

Old January 20th 09, 12:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Kat" wrote in message
[...]

In the small size I had 20 nappies and 6 wraps.
I washed every other day and didn't use the drier so they'd take a day to
dry.
Occasionally I did run short at the newborn stage. Later on that was plenty.
I did use disposables at night though.
Debbie

Old January 20th 09, 03:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Kat wrote:

Any suggestions on how many diapers I should have handy and ready to go?

I cloth diapered and I would say to plan on 10 diapers and 3 covers per
day for newborns and 10 diapers and 2 covers per day once they are out
of the blow out stage. You can also hand wash the covers (or throw them
in with other loads). That would be enough to no have diaper stress.

I gave all my covers away but I have a ton of diapers (very good
prefolds) if you want them. I think I have the small and larger size.
I know I have the larger size but would have to double check the smaller
size. You can have them for free. I was the lucky recipient of some
(from enigma!!) so I'll pay it forward If you are interested you can
email me at skavanagh at knology dot net with your address.

I have plenty of large ones to outfit the older girls if you want them.
They might not go for it though, lol.

--

Nikki
Old January 20th 09, 04:37 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Nikki wrote in
news:4dWdnSqyS6fdeejUnZ2dnUVZ_hednZ2d@prairiewave. com:

I gave all my covers away but I have a ton of diapers (very good
prefolds) if you want them. I think I have the small and larger
size. I know I have the larger size but would have to double
check the smaller size. You can have them for free. I was the
lucky recipient of some (from enigma!!) so I'll pay it forward

yeah! keep those diapers circulating!
did you get to use the Under The Nile diapers on the twins? how did
they work out? i just found the missing doubler for those the other
day...
lee
Old January 20th 09, 05:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

enigma wrote:
Nikki wrote in
news:4dWdnSqyS6fdeejUnZ2dnUVZ_hednZ2d@prairiewave. com:

I gave all my covers away but I have a ton of diapers (very good
prefolds) if you want them. I think I have the small and larger
size. I know I have the larger size but would have to double
check the smaller size. You can have them for free. I was the
lucky recipient of some (from enigma!!) so I'll pay it forward

yeah! keep those diapers circulating!
did you get to use the Under The Nile diapers on the twins? how did
they work out? i just found the missing doubler for those the other
day...
lee

Yes I did. They worked great! They worked on one kid better then the
other. I gave those to another mom of twins and she dyed them and they
turned out soooo cool looking. Very cute fluffy bums.

I gave most of the smaller prefolds away already but I might have some
left. I had a ton of them.

We are potty trained now - Oh yeah, Oh yeah! - lol.

--

Nikki
Old January 21st 09, 06:44 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

So far I have 23 fully made. They're supposed to be small/newborn size, but
they seem to look fairly big to me, so I'm pretty sure they'll last a while.
I do have a washer and dryer, but I don't care to do tiny loads of diapers
daily... I'd rather use a diaper pail and do a load of diapers every 3 or so
days...
Any suggestions on how many diapers I should have handy and ready to go?

Sounds like you have plenty, the ideal situation is to have enough such
that you can go between relatively full loads in your washer. We used
flat terry squares with our first, we intially had 24, but 12 of them
were cheaper and they weren't so good (I don't actually remember why!),
so we bought another 12 of the first brand, that seemed to fit our
washer well, I guess 15-18 per load and a few to use whilst they went
through. I think an American style washer would probably take more, but
then I think we were already at about my limit for how long to store
them (2-3 days).

Of course if you have other children in diapers, as you do, the amount
per child per load goes down and we found we didn't need anymore diapers
when #2 arrived, though I was glad we had the extra dozen bad ones,
because occasionally we would get to the last of the good ones.

We moved to prefolds and never owned more than 18 in any size, I think
they are slightly bigger overall that flat terries, so nappy bucket and
machine took less.

I suspect with 3 kids in diapers you're going to be at the almost
needing to do it daily stage, which cuts down how many you need!

Cheers
Anne
Old January 23rd 09, 05:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Kat wrote:

Any suggestions on how many diapers I should have handy and ready to go?

I cloth diapered and I would say to plan on 10 diapers and 3 covers per
day for newborns and 10 diapers and 2 covers per day once they are out of
the blow out stage. You can also hand wash the covers (or throw them in
with other loads). That would be enough to no have diaper stress.

One thing I don't want to do is HAVE to wash diapers at least every day due
to not having enough. Although I do have some disposables, I'd much rather
save those for only when it's absolutely necessary. Keeping 2 diapered is
already a big strain on me, even though DDs don't go through many diapers in
a day, adding a 3d in many diapers a day is just an extra added expense that
really doesn't have to be a necessary expense.

I gave all my covers away but I have a ton of diapers (very good prefolds)
if you want them. I think I have the small and larger size. I know I have
the larger size but would have to double check the smaller size. You can
have them for free. I was the lucky recipient of some (from enigma!!) so
I'll pay it forward If you are interested you can email me at skavanagh
at knology dot net with your address.

I'd be interested in anything I can get my hands on right now and really am
not picky. At this point, I don't care if they have snaps, velcro, need to
be pinned, whatever. I'll definitely email you here. Would have been
actually reading posts sooner but ran into some family things this last
week.

I have plenty of large ones to outfit the older girls if you want them.
They might not go for it though, lol.

LOL DD1 seems to be the only difficult one. IMO, she should be using a
potty already lol She will not, though, and I can't keep up with
fighting with her over it. DD2, OTOH, will go for anything. She's very
easy and laid back, actually. I had made (a long while back) and DD2 loved
trying something new. She is a bit of a strange one, though, I must say.

--

Nikki

Old January 23rd 09, 05:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

I can fit, wash and properly dry quite a bit in my washer. I could easily
fit 4 pairs of my jeans, 5-6 pairs of DS' jeans and probably at least 10
pairs of DDs' jeans in a load and have them properly wash and properly dry
without needing to rewash or reset the dryer for more time. It's a fairly
heavy duty set I have and it seems to be much larger than the washers/dryers
of others I know... It's at least double the size of my mom's washer, and I
think hers is about average sized. One load can fit about 10-12 towels
easily in it, plus the week's worth of face cloths or whatever.

#2 arrived, though I was glad we had the extra dozen bad ones, because
occasionally we would get to the last of the good ones.

I've been keeping an eye out for cloth diapers at second hand and
consignment stores. Every now and then they can be found, but it's usually
a hit or miss situation (usually a miss, it seems!)
They seem to be really hard to find anywhere, though. Unless, of course,
you're willing to pay a LOT for a small starter pack of half a dozen diapers
or so.

We moved to prefolds and never owned more than 18 in any size, I think
they are slightly bigger overall that flat terries, so nappy bucket and
machine took less.

Oh... Which reminds me about needing to find some kind of a bucket LOL Or 4
or 5 of them hahaha

I suspect with 3 kids in diapers you're going to be at the almost needing
to do it daily stage, which cuts down how many you need!

This might be true. I don't have any diapers in DDs' size (they currently
wear the same diapers for disposables and are not too different in size
anyways anymore) I still think that both should be potty trained, or very
close to being, but DD2 seems to be the only one that is just now starting
to show just a bit of interest in a toilet for something other than spashing
around IN it LOL

Cheers
Anne

Old January 23rd 09, 06:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Kat wrote:

One thing I don't want to do is HAVE to wash diapers at least every day due
to not having enough.

I don't blame you

I had enough so I only needed to wash every 3-4 days and that was for
the twins. That is a lot of diapers but it made it lots easier for me,
especially when I went back to work.

I had two diaper pails. I washed when they both filled up. I found the
diaper champ or diaper genie - not even sure which - at a thrift
store for $2 and just took the top thing out so there was just an open
hole when you lifted up the lid. The 2nd baby 2nd hand stores around
here are full of them. It worked great.

I'll look for the email and get them off I'm glad someone can use them.

--

Nikki
Old January 23rd 09, 07:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
Kat wrote:

One thing I don't want to do is HAVE to wash diapers at least every day
due to not having enough.

I don't blame you

I had enough so I only needed to wash every 3-4 days and that was for the
twins. That is a lot of diapers but it made it lots easier for me,
especially when I went back to work.

I had two diaper pails. I washed when they both filled up. I found the
diaper champ or diaper genie - not even sure which - at a thrift store
for $2 and just took the top thing out so there was just an open hole when
you lifted up the lid. The 2nd baby 2nd hand stores around here are full
of them. It worked great.

I'll look for the email and get them off I'm glad someone can use them.

I was given that diaper genie when DS was born... My 3 (male) cousins went
together and bought me one and brought it over, actually, while I was still
in the hospital, hours after DS was born. This was almost exactly 8 years
ago and it was, I believe, the first, original diaper genie to come out.
At first I liked it. I found it worked great for the newborn/very small
disposable diaper sizes, but then once the diapers got a little bigger, I
found it was a major pain. It kind of made a giant sausage link of poo
diapers, and once the diapers got bigger and heavier, I realized that it
didn't keep the diapers in a big sausage link, but they all untwisted and
made for a big, saggy bag of dirty diapers, and with that said, the ring of
garbage bag would often rip the bag, making for just a big headache and big,
smelly mess to deal with. I actually ended up giving it away not long after
DD1 was born, as I just never really used it at all.
Diaper pails and buckets, though, seem to be around everywhere. Even brand
new in the stores, I've seen, they're only about $8 or so here. $8-$10 on
the high side, and usually under $5 at a consignment store (and yes, much,
much cheaper at like a Goodwill store!)
I did email, just to make sure I had the right email address first. Not
sure if you got it or not, but I did send a quick email a little earlier.

--

Nikki

Cloth diaper question xkatx General 22 June 26th 08 04:52 AM
Another cloth diaper question... xkatx Breastfeeding 15 May 15th 06 12:22 PM
Cloth diaper question [email protected] Pregnancy 8 May 20th 05 08:06 PM
cloth swim diaper? Kim E General 25 January 13th 05 03:59 AM
Cloth diaper question Elizabeth H Bonesteel Pregnancy 17 August 4th 04 09:35 PM