10yo birthday party ideas needed

Old September 6th 03, 10:35 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default 10yo birthday party ideas needed

We're having Ryan's 10th brithday in 2 weeks. He wants to have a party
at home. That's all we have figured out so far. We desperately need
some ideas. We've already scanned some of the large birthday party idea
websites to no avail. We've done some great Harry Potter and science
parties in the past, but we're all (including the likely guests, I'd
imagine) sick of those! We don't have any "birthday party entertainer"
types available (that I've been able to find anyhow) and Ryan wants
the party to be "home grown" anyhow.

We'll have a mix of boys and girls, mostly 8-12 years old. Probably
about 8-12 kids total. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

--Robyn

Old September 7th 03, 02:31 PM
Sue

Hi Robin (I usually read mk unmoderated)

We have had wonderful success at our children's birthday parties when we
would make our own pizzas. We have a local pizza place that we buy the dough
and sauce from. DH then makes individual sized pizzas and I place out many
toppings and have the kids make their own pizza. It is a big hit around
here. What are some things that your son is into? What "character, movie or
sports does he like? You could go from there with a theme and work other
games into it. If your not opposed to having the party out of your house,
you could take a couple of his friend's to a baseball game or have a bowling
party. If it is still nice where you are, you could have a park party, so
they can run at the park and not at your house ;o) Good luck.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old September 7th 03, 03:26 PM
Banty

In article , Sue says...

Hi Robin (I usually read mk unmoderated)

We have had wonderful success at our children's birthday parties when we
would make our own pizzas. We have a local pizza place that we buy the dough
and sauce from. DH then makes individual sized pizzas and I place out many
toppings and have the kids make their own pizza. It is a big hit around
here. What are some things that your son is into? What "character, movie or
sports does he like? You could go from there with a theme and work other
games into it. If your not opposed to having the party out of your house,
you could take a couple of his friend's to a baseball game or have a bowling
party. If it is still nice where you are, you could have a park party, so
they can run at the park and not at your house ;o) Good luck.

I'll weigh in to say that I had a local pizza parlor do a make-your-own party
for my son's 10 y/o birthday party, and it was a big hit even with boys a couple
of years older.

Banty

Old September 7th 03, 05:41 PM
Iowacookiemom

Henry's 9th birthday was a roller skating party -- I can't remember if it's
Ryan who broke his arms -- if not, then roller skating might be fun. They had
a ball at the roller rink and it wasn't that expensive.

His 8th was "come dressed as your favorite character from a book." They had a
lot of fun with that too. 10 might be too old for a dress-up party though.

That's all I can think of -- good luck!

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 10

Old September 7th 03, 05:43 PM
Cathy Kearns

We have a wood fired oven in our back yard.
Yeah, make your own pizza is a hit even with adults, just
go for the more esoteric toppings. Bring your own topping
parties are quite popular. We've even been able to get a good
sum of money for the local elementary school by auctioning
off make your own pizza party for up to 8 adults.
With 10 year old kids, you pretty much only need tomato
sauce, pesto sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and olives.

In article , Sue says...

Old September 7th 03, 11:08 PM
Karen G

I don't know how long the party will be, but Bill and Ted's Excellent
Adventure is a pretty age appropriate movie that appeals to both genders
if you need a movie. There are plenty of themes to pick out of that
movie as well.

Karen G

Old September 8th 03, 02:41 AM

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
We're having Ryan's 10th birthday in 2 weeks. He wants to have a
party at home. That's all we have figured out so far. We
desperately need some ideas. We've already scanned some of the large
birthday party idea websites to no avail. We've done some great
Harry Potter and science parties in the past, but we're all
(including the likely guests, I'd imagine) sick of those! We don't
have any "birthday party entertainer" types available (that I've been
able to find anyhow) and Ryan wants
the party to be "home grown" anyhow.

We'll have a mix of boys and girls, mostly 8-12 years old. Probably
about 8-12 kids total. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

--Robyn

I haven't read the other posts yes, but one thing my kids and I have always
enjoyed were scavenger and treasure hunts. if you get enough well hidden
clues/items it will take a fair amount of time. It can also be customized
for whatever theme you might do.
--
Edith
oht nak

Old September 8th 03, 03:49 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
chiam margalit wrote:
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message

If it is still warm in the Frozen North, you might want to have a
SuperSoaker party. My son went to one when he was 9 that he STILL
talks about. It was evidentally very fun. The host gave everyone one
of those huge SuperSoakers that hold like a litre of water, and they
had a course set out all over their yard, which had a lot of both lawn
and trees.

That is a cool idea! It's not reliably warm enough here in late
September to plan an outdoor water-based party like that (and what
if it rains?) and we have a little issue of a sibling in 2 casts
at the moment, but that's one to keep on the back burner for
another time.

Thanks,
--Robyn

Old September 8th 03, 03:49 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Sue wrote:
Hi Robin (I usually read mk unmoderated)

We have had wonderful success at our children's birthday parties when we
would make our own pizzas. We have a local pizza place that we buy the dough
and sauce from. DH then makes individual sized pizzas and I place out many
toppings and have the kids make their own pizza. It is a big hit around
here.

He's already rejected "make your own pizza and sundaes" -- too "boring".

What are some things that your son is into? What "character, movie or
sports does he like?

Harry Potter, but we've done it to death!

You could go from there with a theme and work other

I think we've decided not to have a theme, and just do some fun activities.
(Now we just have to think of them!)

--Robyn

Old September 8th 03, 04:20 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article ,
Sue wrote:

Hi Robin (I usually read mk unmoderated)

We have had wonderful success at our children's birthday parties when we
would make our own pizzas. We have a local pizza place that we buy the dough
and sauce from. DH then makes individual sized pizzas and I place out many
toppings and have the kids make their own pizza. It is a big hit around
here.

He's already rejected "make your own pizza and sundaes" -- too "boring".

Ah yes, the perennial complaint of a 10-year-old

DD's 10-y b-day was at the pool, one small advantage of a
July birthday. Her favorite birthday thing to do is a
sleepover. That's a lotta work for a parent though --
and a little shrill, at least for girls. There's usually
take-out pizza and VHS/DVD movie & popcorn involved.

I'm afraid I've no clue what's in for 10-yo boys, however.
Ask me in 3 years

Scott DD 10 and DS 7