when to send birthday invitations

Old May 22nd 07, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

Default when to send birthday invitations

DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early). Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.
Old May 22nd 07, 03:00 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

toypup wrote:
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early). Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

It's summertime or end of school, people are making plans.
I'd get them out earlier.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 22nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
toypup wrote:
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations
this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early).
Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get
them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

It's summertime or end of school, people are making plans.
I'd get them out earlier.

Depending on how many kids, you might want to let the parents know about
the party now, but wait a week or two to send out the invites.

Jeff

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 22nd 07, 04:46 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:00:11 -0400, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

toypup wrote:
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early). Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

It's summertime or end of school, people are making plans.
I'd get them out earlier.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Would it apply if it's year round school and school is still in session
until a couple of weeks after his birthday?
Old May 22nd 07, 08:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines

toypup wrote:
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early). Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

This seems to vary by location: one place I lived invitations would go
out at least three weeks in advance, where I live now, they seem to be
about a week in advance.

Are you giving them out yourself, or will the pre-school teachers do so?
If you are giving them out yourself, I'd hand them out 3 1/2 weeks in
advance

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 22nd 07, 09:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"toypup" wrote in message
.. .
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations
this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early).
Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get
them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

If there are other children who have birthdays at a similar time and might
invite the same set of people or if the party is during holiday time then
I'd go for the 3 1/2 weeks. #1 had her party last year about 3-4 weeks after
the event because her birthday is at halfterm and a lot of people are away.
I sent the invitation out about 4-5 weeks early as I knew there are about
4-6 other birthdays round that time (but I wasn't sure exactly who they
were) and I thought then if there was a clash it gave the other parents'
notice so it could be possible to change if they wished to. Incidently there
was a clash with one but I think there were only 2-3 (out of 25) that it
effected.
If there's likely to be no clash of parties and not into holidays then 2 1/2
weeks would be fine.
Debbie

Old May 22nd 07, 02:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

toypup wrote:
DS's birthday will be celebrated June 16. I will send out invitations this
Wednesday (3 1/2 weeks early) or next Wednesday (2 1/2 weeks early). Which
date would be better to hand them out and why? Personally, when I get them
too early, I tend to put them away and forget about them. I've never
forgotten completely, but the RSVP date would pass before I remember to
RSVP.

It's summertime or end of school, people are making plans.
I'd get them out earlier.

Would it apply if it's year round school and school is still in session
until a couple of weeks after his birthday?

Depends. I think you just have to have a sense of
what's going on in your community. Is this a really busy
time? If it's not, you can give a bit less lead time.
Here, it seems almost perpetually busy, but I know it's
not that way everywhere.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 22nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..

toypup wrote:
[...]

For us the busiest time during the school year is the spring. By mid
june, most baseball and soccer are winding down.

I dunno Toypup -- I'm in the camp that less time is better. I always
give two weeks, but no more. Longer than that, and people may not
have their plans firmed up yet, so you get people hanging onto the
invitations to wait and see what else is going on, and then as you
said, they forget about getting back to you at all. Plus which, for
me anyway, I'd rather have a relatively short RSVP time. That is, I'd
like to get my responses in a rather short amount of time. That way,
if there is a need to make a change, I can do that pretty quickly. I
ended up having to move my son's party this year because it turned out
that a substantial group of his guests were playing baseball that day.
One of those people never called me, but I did find out from the other
kids that were on his team. At any rate, I sent the invitations out
on Monday, by Friday it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to work
out, but I waited until Monday to see if I heard from any more, then
called everyone and moved the date.

It worked out well, because everyone was able to come on the second
date, and DS said it was his best birthday ever! :-)

Bizby

Old May 24th 07, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Tue, 22 May 2007 02:30:19 GMT, Jeff
wrote:

Depending on how many kids, you might want to let the parents know about
the party now, but wait a week or two to send out the invites.

Jeff

If you have email addresses, you can send an evite. It automatically
sends new ones at intervals if people have not responded, I think.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 24th 07, 08:43 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

wrote:

Depending on how many kids, you might want to let the parents know about
the party now, but wait a week or two to send out the invites.

Jeff

If you have email addresses, you can send an evite. It automatically
sends new ones at intervals if people have not responded, I think.

Thank you all for the responses. Not everyone has email and I don't know
all the email addresses. I've decided to send the invites next week and
hope for the best. Thanks.