Food for thought

Old October 16th 04, 09:18 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Leslie wrote:

Sweet potatoes are do wonderful, aren't they? And you can eat them plain, or
put them in caseroles, or make them into fries, or make pies out of them . . .
Leslie

Yum, we had sweet potato pancakes for breakfast this morning. Tastes
like sweets but loaded with beta carotene and I used molasses to top
mine for the extra iron. They're also good with cream cheese on top. It
counts as healthy in my book!

-Rebecca
6.5 or so weeks to go!

Old October 17th 04, 01:10 AM
Jamie Clark

Blech. I'm so NOT a sweet potato person. Actually, I don't really like any
cooked orange veggies...carrots, yams, squash. Blech.

Raw carrots are okay.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Leslie" wrote in message
I have enough trouble convincing my husband that sweet potatoes are a
vegetable.

Sweet potatoes are do wonderful, aren't they? And you can eat them plain,
or
put them in caseroles, or make them into fries, or make pies out of them .
. .
Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 19th 04, 04:40 AM
melbgal1

Tori M. says...
"melbgal1" wrote ...
Nan says...
(H Schinske) scribbled:
wrote:

I think the butter/sugar sandwich thing sounds worse than it is. For

one
thing, it's 100% whole wheat bread. And it's real butter so that's a

sourceof
Vitamin A. :-)

It's actually probably *less* sugar than if you put jelly or jam on it.

(And
don't anyone tell me that jam constitutes a fruit serving -- yeah,

maybe 1/32
of one! ;-) )

Believe it or not, WIC considers it to be part of the daily
requirement. I guess their standards are more lax ;-)

WIC ?

Women Infants and Children.. It is a suplimentory food program to help out
low to mid range incomes durring pregnancy infancy and up to age 5. Some
see it as a program designed to obliverate breastfeeding since they give
free formula to low incomed families.. The WIC office we go to strongly
encourages breastfeeding though.. Anyway they give free cerial, milk, eggs,
cheese and juice and peanut butter to people and breastfeeding earns you
extras like carrots and tuna..

Interesting - thanks for the info !
Old October 19th 04, 04:46 AM
melbgal1

In article , Jamie Clark says...
Blech. I'm so NOT a sweet potato person. Actually, I don't really like any
cooked orange veggies...carrots, yams, squash. Blech.

agreed - although I like pumpkin.

But i'd swap the orange for extra green ( especially broccoli ) anyday !

Old October 19th 04, 07:14 AM
Jamie Clark

Oooh, nope, not pumpkin either. It's the whole sweet vegetable thing that
doesn't really work for me, I guess. Just a coincidence that they all
happen to be orange. Now my family, on the other hand, thinks I'm mighty
strange and eccentric for choosing to dislike all orange vegetables. Like I
chose the color randomly. Doi.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: