OT anyone from Seattle/Redmond, WA

Old August 12th 05, 12:53 PM
Anne Rogers

thanks for the answers, I have another quite general question, are there
midwives and/or birth centres? It would be quite likely that we would have
another baby out there. I'm fairly demanding in what I want, I'd want to be
cared for by an obstetrician antenatally as I don't seem to have easy
pregnancies, but I'd like to be midwife attended at the birth, hopefully at
home, which is possible in the UK, but from what I understand midwives in
the US tend to pass you over to complete consultant care if anything goes
wrong.

Anne

Old August 12th 05, 03:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

thanks for the answers, I have another quite general question, are there
midwives and/or birth centres? It would be quite likely that we would have
another baby out there. I'm fairly demanding in what I want, I'd want to be
cared for by an obstetrician antenatally as I don't seem to have easy
home, which is possible in the UK, but from what I understand midwives in
the US tend to pass you over to complete consultant care if anything goes
wrong.

It would be unusual to have an OB-attended pregnancy followed
by a midwife-attended birth, particularly a homebirth. Most homebirth
midwives wouldn't be able to take you on as a client if you had
significant complications during the pregnancy. In general, in the
US, homebirth midwives do *not* work in cooperation with OBs. You
probably could, however, find a mixed OB/CNM practice where the
CNM could handle the delivery (assuming a normal delivery was
expected) even if the OB was involved during the pregnancy. Those
would almost all be hospital births, though. You might get lucky.
It's a little more earthy-crunchy out there than in many other
parts of the country, but I wouldn't hold my breath for getting
an OB attended pregnancy followed by a midwife-attended homebirth
unless you're willing to just be "late" getting to the hospital ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 12th 05, 03:36 PM
Anne Rogers

It would be unusual to have an OB-attended pregnancy followed
by a midwife-attended birth, particularly a homebirth. Most homebirth
midwives wouldn't be able to take you on as a client if you had
significant complications during the pregnancy. In general, in the
US, homebirth midwives do *not* work in cooperation with OBs. You
probably could, however, find a mixed OB/CNM practice where the
CNM could handle the delivery (assuming a normal delivery was
expected) even if the OB was involved during the pregnancy. Those
would almost all be hospital births, though. You might get lucky.
It's a little more earthy-crunchy out there than in many other
parts of the country, but I wouldn't hold my breath for getting
an OB attended pregnancy followed by a midwife-attended homebirth
unless you're willing to just be "late" getting to the hospital ;-)

that was what I thought :-(. The reason I would plan a home birth is after
having gone fast twice now I'd expect it again, I wouldn't have got to the
hospital if I'd not already been there when I went into labour this time.
I'm not sure if it would be possible to manage things with a regular doctor
and a midwife, the situation here is that to control the pain both early and
late on I needed painkillers that a regular doctor wouldn't prescribe. Plus,
I really feel I need to option to be able to decide to have a c-section at a
late stage as I am not happy to risk the damage that Ada did again (btw,
this has now been confirmed by the physio, that I have an injury to my lower
back and SI joint that must have been caused by some trauma and isn't mucsle
weakness, the only traums that are has been through is birth), which would
mean considering size and position quite late on. Whatever the situation
ends up being I don't think it would be enough to stop us from having a
third, it's just worth knowing what you are letting yourself in for.

Cheers

Anne

Old August 12th 05, 04:00 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Well, you could hire a homebirth midwife as a doula, and
then just not get to the hospital in time if things were going well.
Also, if you were under the care of a CNM (which would probably
mean a hospital birth, or perhaps a birthing center birth if you
got lucky), the CNM *can* consult with an OB as much as needed
and still retain you as a client as long as the consults don't
turn up any reason the believe the *birth* will be more complicated.
So, if it's a matter of pain relief and size monitoring during
pregnancy, that could likely be handled by a CNM with OB consults
as needed. If you decided on a c-section, there would obviously
be a transfer of care. The sticky wicket would be if you had a
disagreement about what constituted a need for a transfer of
care, but since you have a pretty good idea of what you might be
in for, you could certainly discuss things ahead of time to find
out what the transfer criteria would be.
It's just that it's much more difficult to find that
degree of practice-sharing between an OB and a midwife who does
homebirths, as most midwives who do homebirths are DEMs/CPMs
and there tends to be a lot less of a relationship between
them and OBs than between CNMs and OBs. There are some CNMs
who do, but given that most OBs in the US are not
supportive of homebirth, those CNMs tend to have less of a
direct relationship with OBs.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 12th 05, 04:47 PM
sharalyns

Anne Rogers wrote:
I'm in the area also, and DH worked at M$ for a year as a tech writer,
although he was at one of the satellite campuses in Bellevue. We're
actually in Edmonds which is Northwest of where M$ is by about 30
minutes when there isn't any traffic. ;-)

do you know what things are like in terms of being able to walk or cycle to
work, DH currently cycles to work and enjoys it, it keeps him fit as well as
saving money.

Anne

Totally depends on where you live in relation to the campus. If you're
close, then it shouldn't be a problem. Walking prob. won't happen as I
don't know of any housing right close to there. Also, depending on
where you're at, there are some good bike trails around there. While
there's a pretty good contingency of cyclists in the area (my husband
being one of them, and I'm trying), drivers of cars really don't watch
for you, and in fact, some are very hostile toward cyclists (My husband
was run off the road a few years ago by a car on purpose), and you're
not supposed to go on the sidewalks as those are for pedestrians. So it
can get tricky. If you want to email me privately, I can get you maps
of the bike trails, etc.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old August 12th 05, 04:53 PM
sharalyns

Anne Rogers wrote:
thanks for the answers, I have another quite general question, are there
midwives and/or birth centres? It would be quite likely that we would have
another baby out there. I'm fairly demanding in what I want, I'd want to be
cared for by an obstetrician antenatally as I don't seem to have easy
pregnancies, but I'd like to be midwife attended at the birth, hopefully at
home, which is possible in the UK, but from what I understand midwives in
the US tend to pass you over to complete consultant care if anything goes
wrong.

Anne

The is a midwife group right near Evergreen in Kirkland (within 30
minutes driving) and a midwife birth center. I believe the OB/midwife
group isn't working together anymore, but there is a separate midwife
group that will refer to the OBs for consultation if needed. Ok--I had
appendicitis, hyperemesis gravidum with severe weight loss, severe
preeclampsia at 34.5 weeks, and have some thyroid issues. I can still
give birth next time at the birth center as long as I don't have repeat
preeclampsia earlier than 37 weeks (and it's not severe) and my thyroid
stays stable.

So there's hope! I have names if you want recommendations (Oh BTW, I
gave birht at Evergreen, so I can honestly say that if I have to have a
hospital birth again, that is where I want to go. Despite the issues
last time--those were all with a specific OB, not the hospital.).

Old August 12th 05, 05:05 PM
Jess

There are midwives and birth centers here (www.birthcenter.com) and they are
covered by company health insurance (which is really really good insurance,
dang near everything is covered without co-pays or deductables) You can
always consult with one of the midwives and see if they would take you on,
they took me on after a high risk pregnancy and things were great but we had
a complication at the end and they did transfer me to University of
Washington.

As far as your previous question about biking to work, if you're planning on
renting at first there are several apartment complexes within a mile of main
campus. There are a lot of people that ride to work, one of DH's friends
rides 5 miles each way to work without problem. You can also get a free bus
pass and ride then take the bus. A lot of the buildings have showers to
clean up after they ride as well.

There is housing off of 156th to the east that's close to main campus.