Notify father if moving from Colorado to Kentucky as never married mom?

Old April 26th 08, 11:58 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Jan[_5_]

Default Notify father if moving from Colorado to Kentucky as never married mom?

A neighbor gave me a set of facts and asked me to see what I could
find on the Internet. Her daughter is planning on moving from Colorado
to Kentucky and she is thinking she may need a lawyer. All I want to
be able to tell her is why she'll need a lawyer and what statute
necessitates her need for a lawyer?

Below are the facts as they were explained to me:

===== ===== =====

My main question is will I need a lawyer? I'm not married to the man
but he does pay child support.

I did do a little online research and I more or less decided that if I
was married to the man then this finding might apply: "[H]ire a
Child & Family Investigator to conduct an investigation and make a
recommendation to the court whenever one of the parents wishes move
away from the geographic area where the other parent lives." Source:
http://johnsonlawcorp.com/pages/relocation.html

There is a lot of information re Colorado relocation situations on the
web, here, at
http://www.coloradodivorcemediation....ustody%20cases,
but while the word "unmarried" is included in this info there is no
specific case law or statute mentioned that applies specifically to
unmarried people.

I only found one "official" Colorado form that addresses this
situation and also mentions unmarried parents, but the particular law
that requires the use of this form is not mentioned. Here is a link to
the form: http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/co...ic/jdf1421.pdf

This form is also mentioned in an advice handbook for Colorado parents
called "Connecting With Your Kids." See:
http://www.coloradofoundation.org/pd...ishVersion.pdf.

Now I am ready to move and all I want to know is whether I am required
to give the father any official notice or is it okay to just move and
let the child support authorities make sure my support checks are
forwarded to my new address?

===== ===== =====

The info above is everything my neighbor (the maternal grandmother)
told me about her daughter and granddaughter. She knows I get on the
Internet a lot so she asked me if I'd mind taking a look to see what I
could find, especially if her daughter will need a lawyer and if so
where does it say so.

I decided to ask here because I am reckoning someone will know the
answer without even thinking twice about it and will be able to cite a
particular statute that demands notice be given or a statute that says
no notice need be given.

If this isn't the right newsgroup for this question do you have any
suggestion what group might be better?

Thanks.

Jan

Old April 27th 08, 11:52 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
grendal

On Apr 26, 5:58 am, Jan wrote:
[SNIP]
OP wants to know about a woman who receives child support from the
father, but was never married to father, if she needs a lawyer.

I decided to ask here because I am reckoning someone will know the
answer without even thinking twice about it and will be able to cite a
particular statute that demands notice be given or a statute that says
no notice need be given.

If this isn't the right newsgroup for this question do you have any
suggestion what group might be better?

Thanks.

Jan

Jan,
With lawyers, usually the first hour of consultation is free and just
because you hear something on the internet, doesn't mean its true.
So the first thing anyone here will tell you... when in doubt, seek
counsel.

IANAL, but IMHO, if he is paying child support and has visitation
rights, then she'll definitely need to work things out. So go see a
lawyer.

Old April 27th 08, 11:52 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Gini[_2_]

"Jan" wrote in message

Now I am ready to move and all I want to know is whether I am required
to give the father any official notice or is it okay to just move and
let the child support authorities make sure my support checks are
forwarded to my new address?

Thanks.

Jan

===
She wants to take the child away from the father without his knowledge but
still wants to make sure the money flow doesn't stop? Sheesh! Don't think
you'll get much help here on that one.
===

Old April 27th 08, 11:52 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
DB[_4_]

"Jan" wrote in

My main question is will I need a lawyer? I'm not married to the man
but he does pay child support.

When she accepted that CS money, she recognized the man as the parent of the
child and that child has a right to see both parents on a regular basis.

Then again, if she wants to move away, she can always turn down the money!

Old April 27th 08, 11:52 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
David L. Martel

Jan,

You are writing for a friend so you collection of facts may be wrong. You
friend has a child who is being supported by a man, the "father", to whom
your friend has never been married. There may be a court ordered support
agreement though that is not mentioned. Yiur friend also does not mention
whether the father is involved with the child, often called "visitation",
and whether this involvement is court ordered or contractual in some way.
Your friend wishes to continue the child support but also plans to move with
this child from Colorado to Kansas. You ask foradvice.
Your friend needs to review any agreements that she has with the father
whether court ordered or not. This move also opens up a "real can of worms"
since the child may have friends and relatives in Colorado. I think your
friend needs to get some legal advice. She probably needs to discuss this
with the father as well. There is probably legal aid available if she is
poor. I'd expect the father and his family to raise hell. The child also may
be unhappy about this move. I'd place very little faith in your friend's
Web-related reasearch.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Old May 1st 08, 11:20 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Chris

--
[Any man that's good enough to support a child is good enough to have
custody of such child]

..
..
"grendal" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 5:58 am, Jan wrote:
[...]

She doesn't need to do squat. She can move where she wants and the
government people are not the least bit concerned. Not to mention, she has
at her disposal an unlimited supply of free legal counsel. She's a W O M A N
for crying out loud!

Old May 2nd 08, 12:41 PM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Stuart Bronstein

"Chris" wrote:

She doesn't need to do squat. She can move where she wants and the
government people are not the least bit concerned. Not to mention,
she has at her disposal an unlimited supply of free legal counsel.
She's a W O M A N for crying out loud!

You'd better check with your state laws before saying that. That
certainly is the rule in some states. But I met a woman in California
who was criminally prosecuted after she fled from her abusive husband,
and took her children out of state to get away from him.

Stu

Old May 3rd 08, 01:48 PM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Chris

--

"Stuart Bronstein" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote:

She doesn't need to do squat. She can move where she wants and the
government people are not the least bit concerned. Not to mention,
she has at her disposal an unlimited supply of free legal counsel.
She's a W O M A N for crying out loud!

You'd better check with your state laws before saying that. That
certainly is the rule in some states. But I met a woman in California
who was criminally prosecuted after she fled from her abusive husband,
and took her children out of state to get away from him.

One can ALWAYS find an exception to the rule. Such things happen in an
imperfect world.

Stu