whats hard about it.

Old July 24th 03, 12:23 AM
Cele

Default whats hard about it.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:56:26 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

"Cele" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:52:01 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

"Cele" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:18:22 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

"Betsy" wrote in message
news In ,
Steve typed:
"Dennis Here"

happy to
be a single parent, just count the CS money that all you yanks get
and smile

Steve.........

CS?? Someone want to tell me what that is?

I was going to ask the same question...but then it hit me......its Con
the
Sucker (into signing his life over to me, aka getting married, have a
batch
of kids, so I can then chuck him out, using mental violence...he said

looked fat in the red dress"....and lack of communication, he grunts

at
the
tv...I on the other hands only get blank stares...as reason for
divorce..take him to court and rip him off for the rest of his or my
life,
whichever life ends first, his I hope, and have an easy ride, while he
works
his ass off to keep me in Versace shoes and Yves St. Laurant lipstick.
And
oh yeah!!..he only gets the kids once a year cos he's overweight and I
like
my children to look at only *nice* people...Not only that, I'm booked

up
for
fittings at Harrods for the next year too.....which *he's* paying

for).

Just think it's too painful for him to even type the word sucker
though........and couldnt get past it...hence CS

Wow. My ex pays child support because he believes in helping support
his kids. He adores them, is active in their lives, and just like I
do, he wants the very best for them. We collaborate on their
upbringing constantly, and when his youngest was badly hurt, he was in
the hospital right alongside me, working to help her heal.

I think he might take real exception to being called a sucker. I know
his daughters would have an issue with the term.

Cele

Cele.....I wasnt being serious........and there are many absent
fathers/mothers that really do believe that the maintanance payments are
being used to keep the mother in luxury......

Ah, Okay. Thing is, I've seen such views expressed with an absolutely
straight face enough times that I'll believe almost anything these
days......

.Jesus!!...Cant believe I had
to explain this.........

Oh well. There goes my NASA employment application for another month.

Now I think *you* are being serious.......LOL......I'd luuuuuv to work at
NASA, but never thought I was geeky enough...........then discovered I was,
albiet too late!! shrug

Jeez...would *I* be jealous of ya!!...grin

Even if I was the janitor? LOL

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere. Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

Then I found out I suck at math....

LOL

Cele
Old July 24th 03, 02:55 AM
turtledove

wrote:

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere. Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

Then I found out I suck at math....

LOL

Cele

Heck, I grew up being able to see the launch sites from the beach across the
street. I grew up 10-15 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Saw Columbia's
first launch from the roof of my Grandparents house. I wanted to be an
astronaut from the time I was born...

then I found out my vision was too bad.

Sigh.....shattered dreams at 9 when I got glasses.....

I love math!
*bri

Old July 24th 03, 08:06 AM
CME

Default New Glasses

"turtledove" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere. Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

Then I found out I suck at math....

LOL

Cele

Heck, I grew up being able to see the launch sites from the beach across

the
street. I grew up 10-15 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Saw Columbia's
first launch from the roof of my Grandparents house. I wanted to be an
astronaut from the time I was born...

then I found out my vision was too bad.

Sigh.....shattered dreams at 9 when I got glasses.....

I love math!
*bri

Damn, I know what that feels like... I went to the Eye Doctor today, and was
told I needed glasses. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa. I used to see like a hawk. Ah
well, my son says they make me look smart, and thankfully I don't have to
wear them all the time... because they're still making me ill.

Christine

Old July 24th 03, 10:06 PM
dolores

"Cele" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:56:26 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

"Cele" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:52:01 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Betsy" wrote in message
[...]

You were lucky to be even aware of this kinda stuff...I used wonder about
the oddest of things and thought I was odd.....I found the library boring
too, but didnt know why.....Twasnt until I was older that I realised how
limited it was and how out of date. It isnt much better these days and my
ordering a stream of interlibrary books has resulted in my being asked to
draw up a list of books that would interested younger people in the
sciences......Doubt they'll read them either....LOL....just means I get to
order books of *my* choice....

Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

I wanna be a particle physicist....and ended up an engineer.....Dont think
I'll be one at this late stage in my life either

Then I found out I suck at math....

Thats probably becuase you had a bad teacher and not simply because you
couldnt understand. Maths are the easiest subject if yer taught properly and
the easiest exam to take...cos there are no gray areas...well not at any
basic level anyway....

Dolores

Old July 24th 03, 10:07 PM
dolores

wrote:

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere. Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

Then I found out I suck at math....

LOL

Cele

Heck, I grew up being able to see the launch sites from the beach across

the
street. I grew up 10-15 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Saw Columbia's
first launch from the roof of my Grandparents house. I wanted to be an
astronaut from the time I was born...

then I found out my vision was too bad.

Sigh.....shattered dreams at 9 when I got glasses.....

I love math!
*bri

Did living so close encourage any of the kids in your area to actually go
and work there?

Dolores

Old July 24th 03, 11:34 PM
dolores

"dolores" wrote in message

"turtledove" wrote in message
om...

Heck, I grew up being able to see the launch sites from the beach

across
the
street. I grew up 10-15 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Saw

Columbia's
first launch from the roof of my Grandparents house. I wanted to be

an
astronaut from the time I was born...

then I found out my vision was too bad.

Sigh.....shattered dreams at 9 when I got glasses.....

I love math!
*bri

Did living so close encourage any of the kids in your area to actually

go
and work there?

Dolores

Yes. There is a ton of work out at the Cape. Plus you have all the big
engineering companies in the area that either work directly or indirectly
with the Space Program. Florida Institute of Technology (FIT) is a

private
university that was started by Morton-Thikole (I know I misspelled that)

train engineers.

My son's Granddad (my ex's dad) was one of the chief safety inspectors

that
replaced the crew that was fired when the Challenger exploded in 1986. My
Granddad worked for GE and did missle alignment calculations for NASA and
the military.

It's a dream of many many kids to be involved with the Space Program. I
can't even begin to imagine how many times I went to Cape Kennedy or

exactly
how many Shuttle launches I've seen in my life. THAT is what I'm going to
miss about moving....being so close to the Space Program.

*bri

Tis a pity nothing like that is ever likely to come to the west of Ireland,
it's such a huge incentive for kids to look to their own futures.
Unfortunately too many good brains go to waste here.

Dolores

Old July 25th 03, 02:12 AM
Cele

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:39 GMT, "turtledove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere. Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

Then I found out I suck at math....

LOL

Cele

Heck, I grew up being able to see the launch sites from the beach across the
street. I grew up 10-15 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Saw Columbia's
first launch from the roof of my Grandparents house. I wanted to be an
astronaut from the time I was born...

then I found out my vision was too bad.

Sigh.....shattered dreams at 9 when I got glasses.....

I love math!
*bri

Hah. I never thought about that. I've worn glasses since I was 13. I
wouldn't have got in anyway! Good thing I never beat myself up about
being rotten at math. Look at all the misery I would've wasted! LOL

Cele
Old July 25th 03, 02:20 AM
Cele

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:06:45 +0100, "dolores"
wrote:

When I was a kid, I absolutely *adored* the space program, science
fiction, moon walks, you name it. Had astronomy books and stuff about
space everywhere.

You were lucky to be even aware of this kinda stuff...I used wonder about
the oddest of things and thought I was odd.....I found the library boring
too, but didnt know why.....Twasnt until I was older that I realised how
limited it was and how out of date. It isnt much better these days and my
ordering a stream of interlibrary books has resulted in my being asked to
draw up a list of books that would interested younger people in the
sciences......Doubt they'll read them either....LOL....just means I get to
order books of *my* choice....

You're right, I was lucky. My father actually tried out for the space
program. He was a 'top gun' as it were; a fighter pilot on the NATO
gunnery team. He might've had a shot, too, except he was way too big.
They needed wiry little guys then to fit them into the capsules. I
think my dad mighta bombed the psych workup anyway, if he'd got that
far.

I saved up my money and joined a book club when I was a kid. It was
specifically for space related books. Astronomy, that kind of thing.
That's how I got star charts and the like. These days, I guess kids
just go to the net.

Libraries here suck too. I always joke that I'd go there, but every
time I do, both books are out. LOL They're better than nothing, but I
haven't had good luck with them. The vast majority of recreational
money I spend (which isn't much, actually), is on books.

Wanted to be an astronaut more than anything.

I wanna be a particle physicist....and ended up an engineer.....Dont think
I'll be one at this late stage in my life either

Ooooh. Particle physics is fascinating, too. These days it must be a
particularly exciting field. I can't get enough lay science on the
subject. I generally understand it just fine while I'm reading it, but
often have difficulty explaining it afterwards. I guess I'm just on
some barely-get-it threshhold. But I know more than I did! :-)

Then I found out I suck at math....

Thats probably becuase you had a bad teacher and not simply because you
couldnt understand. Maths are the easiest subject if yer taught properly and
the easiest exam to take...cos there are no gray areas...well not at any
basic level anyway....

You may be right. Also, I skipped a grade and changed schools and
provinces all at once, and was never formally taught fractions. This
caused no end of drama later on. I got all the way through high school
math without ever memorizing formulas, because I have the short term
memory of a gnat. Instead, I would look at an example and figure out
how to do the problem all over again, right from scratch. This
probably means I had some basic ability, but boy, was it time
consuming. I dropped math at the first chance, which turned out to be
a shame, because I'm not as bad at it now as I was then.

Oh well. I'm sure we'll find out when I do my PhD and get into the
heavy duty stats courses. LOL

Cele