when did you first go it alone after number 2?

Old June 20th 05, 06:02 PM
Anne Rogers

Default when did you first go it alone after number 2?

today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at home
with 2 children, it's basically gone fairly well, the only issue being that
my lochia which had basically stopped, has dramatically increased, at one
point a soaked I pad in half an hour, DH was able to come home early and I
was able to lie down and everything has slowed down, it makes me wonder was
I doing too much, it didn't feel like it, my hips were complaining and I
wouldn't have liked to leave the house, but I was really quite pleased with
how things had gone, but equally I don't want to bleed like that again, it
was enough to make me feel unwell for a time, got a bit shaky etc.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 20th 05, 07:44 PM

Anne Rogers writes:
: today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at home
: with 2 children, it's basically gone fairly well, the only issue being that
: my lochia which had basically stopped, has dramatically increased, at one
: point a soaked I pad in half an hour, DH was able to come home early and I
: was able to lie down and everything has slowed down, it makes me wonder was
: I doing too much, it didn't feel like it, my hips were complaining and I
: wouldn't have liked to leave the house, but I was really quite pleased with
: how things had gone, but equally I don't want to bleed like that again, it
: was enough to make me feel unwell for a time, got a bit shaky etc.

: Cheers

: Anne

Hi Anne,

Yes, it does sound like you tried to do to much too fast. Instead of a
"normal day" I would suggest a "normal couple of hours", followed by
a "normal half-day" when that goes well, and then a "normal day" only
when the normal half day goes well. Given the amount of pain you were
in at the end of the pregnancy, don't expect to be bustling arount before
6 or 8 weeks,

Take care of yourself,
Larry

Old June 20th 05, 07:52 PM
JennP

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at

home
with 2 children, it's basically gone fairly well,

Dh took a week off of work.

JennP.

Old June 20th 05, 09:06 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at home
with 2 children, it's basically gone fairly well, the only issue being that
my lochia which had basically stopped, has dramatically increased, at one
point a soaked I pad in half an hour, DH was able to come home early and I
was able to lie down and everything has slowed down, it makes me wonder was
I doing too much, it didn't feel like it, my hips were complaining and I
wouldn't have liked to leave the house, but I was really quite pleased with
how things had gone, but equally I don't want to bleed like that again, it
was enough to make me feel unwell for a time, got a bit shaky etc.

Yep, sounds like you bit off a bit too much for your first
day ;-) Will you be able to get a bit more support so you don't
have to face a full day tomorrow? What I found helpful was that
my husband saved some of his vacation time to transition back to
work a bit more slowly. He started going in for just a couple
hours and worked back up to full time as my energy ramped back
up after my first birth. After the second, he was transitioning
between jobs, so he was home for a good while as we were moving
and such. After the third, I had a pretty easy time of it, so
it wasn't particularly necessary that time.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 21st 05, 12:27 AM
Marie

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:02:28 +0100, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:
today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at home
with 2 children, it's basically gone fairly well, the only issue being that
my lochia which had basically stopped, has dramatically increased, at one
point a soaked I pad in half an hour, DH was able to come home early and I
was able to lie down and everything has slowed down, it makes me wonder was
I doing too much, it didn't feel like it, my hips were complaining and I
wouldn't have liked to leave the house, but I was really quite pleased with
how things had gone, but equally I don't want to bleed like that again, it
was enough to make me feel unwell for a time, got a bit shaky etc.

I was alone when my second daughter was two days old, dh went back to
work. My oldest was almost 18mths at the time. But I did not have any
problems like you did with the lochia and shakiness. How old is your
older child?
Marie
Old June 21st 05, 06:54 AM
Jenrose

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
today, 10 days after the birth was my first attempt at a normal day at
home

Maybe 2 weeks postpartum and was a basket case and called my mommy to come
help. Until baby was a month old I had at least 1 hour of help midday just
about every single day. Even now, if I'm feeling poorly I'll call my dad and
he'll bring me lunch and hold the baby for an hour.

Though atm dd1 is home for summer break. Bliss!

Jenrose

Old June 21st 05, 06:56 AM
Jenrose

I was alone when my second daughter was two days old, dh went back to
work.

Dh worked almost a full day the day after dd2 was born. I had a sequence of
family in to help.

Old June 21st 05, 07:40 AM
KC

I don't even try for normalcy until at least 8 weeks post-partum (or
even 12 weeks) on my 2nd and 3rd babies because my ligaments just get
softened up too much, and I get pain from doing too much for months
after. I have these foot issues and my feet may get worse if I use
them too much in late pg and early post partum because of the relaxin
hormone. Even today at almost 7 weeks post-partum I bled because I
picked my 47 pound dd up and put her in a cart. Our bodies just aren't
back to normal for several months.

KC

Old June 21st 05, 11:46 AM
Anne Rogers

Yep, sounds like you bit off a bit too much for your first
day ;-) Will you be able to get a bit more support so you don't
have to face a full day tomorrow? What I found helpful was that
my husband saved some of his vacation time to transition back to
work a bit more slowly. He started going in for just a couple
hours and worked back up to full time as my energy ramped back
up after my first birth. After the second, he was transitioning
between jobs, so he was home for a good while as we were moving
and such. After the third, I had a pretty easy time of it, so
it wasn't particularly necessary that time.

we've hired a postnatal doula, this week she is coming in 3 days for 3 hours
each time, so today is covered, he does have a reasonable amount of holiday
time saved up and in the UK dads get two weeks leave on partial pay anyway,
which his company very kindly makes up to full pay, but he was off quite a
bit before the birth and we're trying to balance getting enough support now
due to physical need and getting it later in case I get PND again.

Anne

Old June 21st 05, 11:47 AM
Anne Rogers

I was alone when my second daughter was two days old, dh went back to
work. My oldest was almost 18mths at the time. But I did not have any
problems like you did with the lochia and shakiness. How old is your
older child?

he's just turned 2 and as you might expect quite demanding, particularly
when I'm bfing! I think the biggest problem yesterday was him demanding to
be carried whenever we went upstairs.

Anne