I am now a one-issue voter... here is my choice

Old September 6th 05, 08:01 AM

Default I am now a one-issue voter... here is my choice

Maybe if alot of child support payors get together and voted
libertarian it would send a signal to the two major parties that
something is wrong with their position. I encourage all who agree with
the following to vote libertarian in 2008. A protest vote is especially
important if you live in either a deep-blue or deep-red state...

http://www.badnarik.org/plans_parentsrights.php

Parents' Rights

(Irrelevant portion snipped.)

However, there are some areas of family life in which the federal
government arguably has a role to play. The Constitution ordains that
all Americans receive the equal protection of the law, and it prohibits
involuntary servitude.

In both of these areas, the federal government has failed America's
families and, in particular, its parents.

Equal protection of the law pre-supposes fairness for those coming
before the bar of justice. Yet in divorce proceedings, the states
routinely award custody of minor children to one parent or another,
relegating the other parent to the status of "second-class
citizen"-not because the latter parent has been convicted of any
crime, or found unfit, but because of a prejudice in favor of father or
mother as the best "single" parent.

This is a matter of federal interest under the 14th Amendment, even
intra-state. Once one parent or another, possibly with a child in tow,
moves to another state, any shadow of doubt is erased. It becomes an
interstate matter, and by definition therefore falls under federal
jurisdiction.

As president, I will direct the Justice Department's civil rights
division to investigate state policies which violate the 14th Amendment
rights of parents and to pursue the elimination of those policies in
court. The default presumption in any divorce proceeding must be for
joint custody of minor children. Failing the waiver of that presumption
by one parent, or proof that one parent is unfit, to deny any parent
equal access to, and equal participation in the raising of, his or her
children is clearly an abuse of law and repugnant to the Constitution.

Above and beyond the matter of custody comes child support. While it is
reasonable to assess support for a minor child when circumstances
dictate that he or she will be living exclusively with one parent, the
matter has been inflated into, literally, a federal case.

The 13th Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude. In the
Slaughterhouse Cases, the Supreme Court clearly and unambiguously ruled
that this prohibition applies to "peonage"-the attachment of criminal
liability to failure to pay, or work off, debt. Yet, across the nation,
hundreds of thousands of non-custodial parents find themselves in
court, often charged with felonies and facing prison, for their failure
or inability to pay child support. Further, the federal government has
intervened to the extent of maintaining a special database to track
"deadbeat parents" across state lines in order to enforce these
draconian and unconstitutional laws.

As president, I will direct the Civil Rights Division of the Department
of Justice to sue states which attach criminal liability to child
support obligations and, if necessary, to charge government officials
who administer that unconstitutional criminal liability with violations
of the civil rights of non-custodial parents.

Old September 6th 05, 11:54 AM
Werebat

I voted for Badnarik in the last election, but I felt safe doing so
because I live in Rhode Island where no one bothers campaigning because
everyone knows how the vote is going to go (and I knew I wouldn't be
kicking myself if Bush won). I felt it was more important for me to
encourage Badnarik than it was to add my own voice to the deluge.

- Ron ^*^

Old September 6th 05, 03:28 PM
SpiderHam77

It's important to vote for the person who best represents your
beliefs regardless of who you think will win the election.

SpiderHam77

Old September 7th 05, 12:40 AM

SpiderHam77 wrote:
It's important to vote for the person who best represents your
beliefs regardless of who you think will win the election.

SpiderHam77

True, most people are ignorant to the effect that their vote, alone,
will never ever decide the difference in an election. The odds are
astronomical.