Another 6 month old

Old March 3rd 04, 08:38 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Another 6 month old

Jaden turns six months old today. That seems to be a traditional time
for an update post, so here it is.

His check up is tomorrow so I'll find out then how much he weighs. I'm
guessing somewhere around 17.5 pounds, which would be a gain of 9.5 from
his birthweight. 9.5 pounds of breastmilk. Wow. :-) Well, and about
a teaspoon of rice cereal that he's managed to ingest so far. I first
offered the cereal two days ago and (after the first time, where he
looked like he was thinking, "what is *this* stuff you're putting in my
mouth??") he's responded very eagerly but doesn't eat very much, which
is as it should be IMO. He can roll both ways and scootch himself
around, and sits up for fairly long periods if propped in the corner of
the couch. He *loves* toys, the exersaucer and the doorway jumper.
He's still nursing solely on my right side, but that has not been a
problem at all ever since I just resigned myself to it rather than drive
both of us crazy trying to get him to nurse on the left. Sleep (or lack
thereof) is still an issue that comes and goes. It's hopefully
currently going, for now, but the past few nights have been an ordeal.
My mood seems to turn on a dime still but I think that's mainly related
to not paying attention to getting enough to eat myself, and having
blood sugar dips. I've started eating very high-protein breakfasts,
rather than "breakfast foods". For example today it was turkey chili.
That seems to be helping a lot.

Thank you so much to this group, for advice when he started rejecting
the left side, for the tons of support during the rough patches with
lack of sleep, and just knowing you're all out there, either going
through the same things I am right now or having been through them and
can tell me that it's going to get easier.

At the same time, I can't believe he's already 6 months old but it also
seems like an eternity since he was born. I'm just really glad it's
March and starting to look like spring outside. Six months is such a
bittersweet time for me. I remember feeling this way when Julie was
this age too. It feels like it's been such a long haul to get to this
point, so I'm really looking forward to things getting easier, and yet
at the same time I'm more aware every day of how little time is left
with him as a baby. I feel pulled toward both the future and the past.
But since I can't go to either one I need to just hold him and snuggle
him right now. :-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 11 mo. and Jaden, 6 months