38 weeks/sign of labor

Old August 6th 04, 01:49 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default 38 weeks/sign of labor

Rob and Jami wrote:

This is my second pregnancy.. so I should know this, but I don't. My water
broke with my first, an obvious sign. I'm scared that I might not notice
I'm in labor. My son was born 5 hours after my water broke, about 3 hours
after any painful contractions, and I only pushed twice. I defiantly don't
want to deliver this one in the car or something. They do say that second
labors are shorter (I know every pregnancy/labor is different).. so it might
not leave me with much time. So far I'm 90% effaced, 0 station and 2cm
dilated. Braxton Hicks are VERY regular usually between 8-9 minutes. Yet I
went to the hospital per my doctor last Wednesday and they sent me home. I
just hope my water breaks again before labor like last time! Are there any
other obvious signs other that water breaking or very painful regular
contractions? I don't want to keep going to the hospital and getting sent
home. TIA

Sorry, this is just one of those challenging things.
Given your situation, you might keep alert for any significant
*change*. For instance, if you start getting regular
contractions that are 4-5 minutes apart, you might go in
even if they aren't terribly painful. Or, you might go in
if they get significantly more painful, even if they aren't
very close together. Or, you might go in if they get longer
and more intense, even if they're not a lot closer together
or a lot more painful. You might get sent home, but what
else can you do besides plan a home birth so that someone
else is doing the running? ;-)
Make sure that you're prepared for an unexpected
home birth if it comes to that. The good news is that in
situations like yours, precipitate births are generally
very low risk and the babies and mothers do just fine. If
your baby decides to come very quickly and you don't make
it to the hospital, just count yourself lucky in the grand
scheme ;-) (I know it's not what you want, but I think
it's helpful to firmly fix in your mind that if it happens,
you will both be very healthy, it won't be the end of the
world, etc. That way, you hopefully won't find the situation
as panic inducing, especially if you have your "emergency
birth" cheat sheet and a few basic supplies tucked away.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 6th 04, 02:16 AM
Cathy

Rob and Jami wrote:
[...]

Jami
Momma to:
Jordan 07.30.01

I don't really have any suggestions. When I went in to labour, contractions
started 5 mins apart and about 45 secs long. And they were so totally
different to Braxton Hicks that I knew it was the real thing. They were
around the bottom of the bulge, whereas the BH were mostly felt around the
top (if that makes any sense). Also, I went in to shock briefly which helped
me realise they were real!! I was in labour about 4 hours before my waters
broke (in the car, on the way to hospital).

Good luck.

Cathy
EDD 08.21.04