Had first ultrasound today, but possible problem

Old July 27th 04, 10:25 PM
Elle

Default UPDATE - Had first ultrasound today, but possible problem

"medgirl" wrote in message ...
Hello, everyone. Thank you again for all of the encouraging messages over
this past couple of days while I was waiting for today's ultrasound. As I
said before, I went for my first transvaginal ultrasound after IVF/ICSI last
Wednesday at 6w5d. They could see the fetus, but said it was about a half a
week small, and there was no heartbeat. They told me there was a possibility
it had implanted late and could be okay, but also the chance that I was
miscarrying. I was scheduled today for another ultrasound. These last few
days have been horrible, alternating between hope that everything would be
okay and feeling like there was no chance of things working out.

Anyway, we went back today (7w3d) for the ultrasound. Everyone was in a
pretty somber mood, thinking that it would not be good news, but then my
doctor saw the heartbeat! Then, she said, "What's this?" and there was
another gestational sac clearly visible. There were two embryos, both with
good strong heartbeats. One measured at 7w1d and the other at 7w0d, so well
within range. No one seemed to have a good explanation for what happened
with last week's ultrasound. All I can figure is that maybe one was in
front of the other and the images weren't clear. This was quite a surprise,
especially considering that we went in today expecting the worst. We did
have two embryos transferred with the IVF, but while my early HCG numbers
were good, they weren't so high as to make us think that both had implanted.
Anyway, apparently twins move me into the high-risk pregnancy category, so
I'll be seeing the high-risk OB on Wednesday. One thing that was a little
concerning is that they are very close together, though clearly in two
separate sacs, which has some risks associated with it, and it sounds like
there will be a lot of ultrasounds in my future. At any rate, I am just so
happy and relieved right now. Thank you again for the support!

Sarah

Well there's a scenario no one predicted! What a wonderful (and dramatic) update.

Enjoy
Elle
Old July 27th 04, 11:34 PM
fading away

"medgirl" wrote in message ...

Anyway, we went back today (7w3d) for the ultrasound. Everyone was in a
pretty somber mood, thinking that it would not be good news, but then my
doctor saw the heartbeat! Then, she said, "What's this?" and there was
another gestational sac clearly visible. There were two embryos, both with
good strong heartbeats. One measured at 7w1d and the other at 7w0d, so well
within range.

Wow! Congratulations! I told my husband a few years ago that I
wanted to have twins and he about had a heartattack and said "No way!"

I'm so happy that everything looked good. What a surprise!

-- Mav
Old July 28th 04, 04:29 AM
laurie

Great news! Congrats!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 14 months
Old August 6th 04, 08:52 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , medgirl
writes

Anyway, we went back today (7w3d) for the ultrasound. Everyone was in a
pretty somber mood, thinking that it would not be good news, but then my
doctor saw the heartbeat! Then, she said, "What's this?" and there was
another gestational sac clearly visible. There were two embryos, both with
good strong heartbeats.

What an absolutely fantastic new instalment to your story!
Congratulations and wishing you the best for the rest of the pregnancy!

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley