How do I know it's time to give up?

Old July 10th 03, 05:00 PM
Astromum

Default How do I know it's time to give up?

Irrational Number wrote:
As a follow-on question, Sammy will fuss
and start to cry, usually around 4 or 5 am,
so I feed him. However, he falls asleep
in 5 minutes, so he can't really have been
that hungry. Do I just let him fuss then?

I'd let him fuss for a few minutes, listen if the crying
is really a serious "I'm hungry!" cry, or more the
"I'm lonely and want a hug" cry. It can be hard to tell
the difference at first, but he doesn't seem all that
hungry to me.

Falling asleep can be frightening for babies when they
are alone, but it is something they will eventually have
to learn, unless you decide to co-sleep. They may cry a
bit, but instead of taking him out of the crib right away,
first try to console him by stroking or singing to him.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 11th 03, 06:17 AM
H Schinske

Irrational Number wrote:
As a follow-on question, Sammy will fuss
and start to cry, usually around 4 or 5 am,
so I feed him. However, he falls asleep
in 5 minutes, so he can't really have been
that hungry. Do I just let him fuss then?

Some babies will cry out when they half wake up, or even not waking up at all.
Mine used to do that. I know it wasn't just a midnight hallucination, because
they did it during naps as well. More than once I went in all set to get them
up from naps, to find they were actually still asleep.

I don't know if Sammy is doing that, but you might try just cocking an ear and
waiting a bit to see if he stops.

--Helen