growth spurt going on a long time

Old July 9th 03, 05:19 PM
Anne Rogers

Default growth spurt going on a long time

My son is 6 weeks old today. He was a little early (37+4) and small (5lb
13oz), after he had got over his jaundice he fed frequently, every 2 hours
or more often. He ate even more than this between 10 days and 2 weeks,
presumably the first growth spurt, then over the next three weeks he
started to space his feeds out of his own accord, usually at least 3
hours apart, sometimes 4. Then just over a week ago, he started eating
much more frequently, the next growth spurt I thought, problem is he's
still doing that over a week later, I thought it would take a few days for
my supply to catch up, so I'm now a little worried that it won't. Each
feed is often over an hour. I was quite thin before I got preg and I
didn't put on much weight, so I don't have as much extra fat as it would
seem is recommended (I think 15kg is recommended if you are normal weight,
I put on 8), could this be a problem? I'm eating quite a lot, but mostly
quite healthy stuff, loads of fruit and veg. I'm not sure whether I need
to make a deliberate effort to boost my supply, or whether I should just
try sitting this out for another week?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old July 9th 03, 05:38 PM
Astromum

Anne Rogers wrote:
I'm eating quite a lot, but mostly
quite healthy stuff, loads of fruit and veg. I'm not sure whether I need
to make a deliberate effort to boost my supply, or whether I should just
try sitting this out for another week?

Growth spurts can last anywhere from a few days up to a few weeks
(no, don't run!). What you can do to boost your supply and perhaps
increase your fat intake is drink milk. Whole milk or semi-skimmed
are best and also good for your calcium intake. It may be that your
supply is fine, but the fat content of your milk is low, so it is
not as nutritious. If your baby happens to be dairy intolerant, there
are plenty of other sources for fat and protein, like fish and meat.

Since you mention you are quite thin, try to eat a little more fatty
things than you normally do, your body really needs the energy and fat
to produce milk. And drink a *lot* of fluids, preferably water, herbal
tea (fennel is good for milk production) and milk, as said.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 11th 03, 11:51 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

My son is 6 weeks old today. He was a little early (37+4) and small (5lb
13oz), after he had got over his jaundice he fed frequently, every 2 hours
or more often. He ate even more than this between 10 days and 2 weeks,
presumably the first growth spurt, then over the next three weeks he
started to space his feeds out of his own accord, usually at least 3
hours apart, sometimes 4. Then just over a week ago, he started eating
much more frequently, the next growth spurt I thought, problem is he's
still doing that over a week later, I thought it would take a few days for
my supply to catch up, so I'm now a little worried that it won't.

What your baby is doing is within the realms of normal -- if he looked
lethargic, or was't growing, or wasn't producing at least 6 wet nappies a day,
then it would be time to doubt your supply. Babies do change their routines
periodically and yours might be trying to make up weight at the moment, as he
had a low start.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990