DS and eating

Old May 23rd 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

Default DS and eating

Alright, this is driving me absolutely bonkers. I really don't know what to
do with this one, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas!
I'm x-posting (alt.mothers & misc.kids) - hope no one minds.

DS is now 6. He seems to be a fairly fussy eater, and has been for some
time. He doesn't like mushrooms. He doesn't like much for vegetables. Not
crazy about too many fruits, other than a rare banana, watermelon, apples.
Doesn't like yogurt, etc. I tend to 'sneak' these foods into his diet,
though, so it's not too big of a concern at times.

The problem is, though, I am getting sick and tired of certain things he
does. When eating, if he doesn't like it (and I know he doesn't) rather
than fight about it, I tell him to just pick it out and put it on the side
of his plate. Example, eating spaghetti and I put mushrooms in it. Just
put it on the side of his plate, and let it be. The problem is, he seems to
'hide' food he doesn't like or want. I find the toast crust shoved in the
corner of his chair at the table - same with the green beans or lima beans
or whatever out of his meals. He'll discreetly 'drop' the stuff he doesn't
like under the table, under his chair or on his chair. It makes a huge
mess, and quite frankly, doing a full vacuum of the table area EVERY meal,
3x a day, shouldn't be necessary, I don't believe. But I have to because
there's a huge mess.
It isn't always stuff he doesn't like. To me, it almost seems like he's
gone back to the toddler stage of when he just doesn't want anymore, he'll
drop it. His cereal at breakfast - if he doesn't want to finish it, he will
do the same dropping or hiding thing. I don't know why. I have never
forced him to eat anything more when he claims to be full, nor have I ever
forced him to eat anything he doesn't like. He knows the rules are that if
you try it once and don't like it, fine. He also knows the rules are that
if he serves himself food (and he is definitely at that age where he likes
to serve himself) then he must eat all he takes - he knows to start small
and have seconds and is usually real good with this, with the exception of
the 'dropping' and 'hiding'. If someone else serves him, he needs to eat an
acceptable amount and if he says he's full before the plate is done, then
there are no snacks until next meal (although he is more than welcome to
snack on the previous meal he filled up on)
I'm just wondering why he is dropping and hiding this food. It's really
starting to drive me insane. I've always thought that the food thing wasn't
an issue. He has been doing this for quite some time - I'd say he started
about 2 years ago, but lately it seems to be getting worse. We had to put
DD1 back into her high chair to remove her booster seat partly because he
was hiding food under her booster seat. (other reason is this booster has
no straps to tie her in, so she stands or gets up) He definitely makes more
of a mess at any given meal than DD1 does, and she is only 22 months.

Sorry this is so long. Tried to offer as much info as possible!
Any ideas?

Old May 23rd 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Froggy

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about the picky eater thing but as for the vacuuming thing,
maybe put a sheet or something under his seat so that if he drops food you
can just pick up the sheet and toss the food, then use the sheet again for
later meals. Other than that, kids go through phases where they don't like
anything. Hopefully it'll pass soon.
--
~Froggy~
"No one can belittle you without your consent".

Old May 23rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Rosalie B.

I think he is old enough to clean everything up himself. Before he
can leave the dining area, he has to clean all the areas where he
hides food.

Alternatively, have him eat in the kitchen or somewhere that there is
no hiding place for the food.

Old May 23rd 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
bob and shel

xkatx wrote:
[...]

Hi there!

At 6 years old, he is certainly old enough to be responsible for the
mess he makes. When he is
finished eating, it should be his responsibility to clean up any mess he
makes. Have him get down
under the table/chair and pick up the large things, then have the vacume
ready with the hose/tool
to pick up the small stuff.... every meal, before being able to go on
to other activities. This isn't a punishment,
just what needs to be done....

With my son, all it took was one time of having to clean up muddy soccer
shoe prints off the floor
to get him to remember to remove the shoes in the garage..... I always
try to do the "logical
consequences" thing, and often it really seems to help.
But sometimes figuring out a "logical consequence" isn't quite as easy
as this. : )

good luck!

Shel

Old May 23rd 07, 04:19 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Banty

In article NDX4i.43563$g63.37505@edtnps82, xkatx says...

[...]

Two things.

One is, if you know he doesn't like it, don't serve it to him. What's the point
of it if he won't eat it (and surely you're not forcing him to eat it, right?)
I can understand not wanting to vary recipies the rest of the family likes to
make a special meal for him (like making a special spaghetti sauce without
mushrooms and doubling the pots to wash as well as your efforts in making a
meal), turning yourself into a short order cook. But consider - he's a family
member too, make a deal that, the family is x people, so one out of x times, the
spaghetti sauce gets made without the mushrooms. Because I think maybe he's
feeling really pressured by this stuff being put on his plate whether he wants
it or not, and not having a part in the decisions about the family meals.

And of course talk with him about what the food-dropping is doing and why it's
bad. And make him clean it up.

So you both work on this together.

Banty

Old May 23rd 07, 04:19 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

If it were me, I would keep my eye on him during meals. Presumably you are
sitting there too? Watch him. As his hand goes down to his chair, with food
in it, you tell him that there is no purpose whatsoever to be moving food
off the table to anywhere other than his mouth. If it persists, as with any
other table manner problem, the meal is done.

Also with a 6yo, probably preceeding the aforementioned, you might sit down
and talk about it non-mealtime. Does he have a problem pushing it to the
side of the plate? What is the problem? Can you think of any ways to solve
this problem that don't involve stuffing the food into the chair? This is,
of course, assuming this is a table manners issue you are willing to move
on. My son prefers to have a separate small plate off his plate to move the
stuff he can't stand. I don't really understand his reasoning. But I guess I
don't have to.

It makes a huge mess, and quite frankly, doing a full vacuum of the table
area EVERY meal, 3x a day, shouldn't be necessary, I don't believe. But I
have to because there's a huge mess.

I would not accept a 6yo pitching food on the floor, at least as much for
the sake of said 6yo who is learning how to get along in the world and in a
family. I would let him know that his presence at the table is contingent on
his using table manners of a human being. If he cannot do that, he is not
welcome at the table. Food will resume when he can eat it without strewning
it all over the floor. (If he was 2 this would be a completely different
matter.)

It isn't always stuff he doesn't like. To me, it almost seems like he's
gone back to the toddler stage of when he just doesn't want anymore, he'll
drop it.

One quesion comes to mind... does he do this at school? If so, then my
advice will be completely different.

[...]

He's 6. You can ask him.

Old May 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

I don't know about the picky eater thing but as for the vacuuming thing,
maybe put a sheet or something under his seat so that if he drops food you
can just pick up the sheet and toss the food, then use the sheet again for
later meals. Other than that, kids go through phases where they don't
like anything. Hopefully it'll pass soon.
--

If he was 2, I would agree with the sheet idea. But he is 6.

Old May 23rd 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

Disregard my advise. This advice is better.

Old May 23rd 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

"Stephanie" wrote in message

I don't know about the picky eater thing but as for the vacuuming thing,
maybe put a sheet or something under his seat so that if he drops food
you can just pick up the sheet and toss the food, then use the sheet
again for later meals. Other than that, kids go through phases where
they don't like anything. Hopefully it'll pass soon.
--

If he was 2, I would agree with the sheet idea. But he is 6.

Yes, I agree with this...

Old May 23rd 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
I think he is old enough to clean everything up himself. Before he
can leave the dining area, he has to clean all the areas where he
hides food.

Alternatively, have him eat in the kitchen or somewhere that there is
no hiding place for the food.

The only place we eat is at the table in the kitchen (we don't have any sort
of dining room or anything) and food, right from the start, has not been
allowed in bedrooms, living room, etc., mainly because I am not crazy about
the greater possibility of bugs and running around looking for missing
dishes doesn't appeal to me.
I like the idea of him cleaning up, but we've had some issues with temper
tantrums, which we are working on and it is getting far better. Maybe that
will be the deal, and he can sit there all night if he refuses? I'm sure
he'd eventually do it!

6 mos eating Nicole Breastfeeding 25 May 4th 07 09:12 PM
DD not eating well Jenny Breastfeeding 4 April 10th 07 06:31 PM
NB not eating enough Shell Breastfeeding 16 November 23rd 05 02:27 AM
what are you eating?? ted Pregnancy 25 January 28th 04 05:59 PM
How much should my 1 yo be eating?? A&G&K Breastfeeding 10 August 22nd 03 09:43 PM