DS and eating

Old May 23rd 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

Default DS and eating

"Banty" wrote in message
In article NDX4i.43563$g63.37505@edtnps82, xkatx says...

Alright, this is driving me absolutely bonkers. I really don't know what
do with this one, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas!
I'm x-posting (alt.mothers & misc.kids) - hope no one minds.

DS is now 6. He seems to be a fairly fussy eater, and has been for some
time. He doesn't like mushrooms. He doesn't like much for vegetables.
Not
crazy about too many fruits, other than a rare banana, watermelon,
apples.
Doesn't like yogurt, etc. I tend to 'sneak' these foods into his diet,
though, so it's not too big of a concern at times.

The problem is, though, I am getting sick and tired of certain things he
does. When eating, if he doesn't like it (and I know he doesn't) rather
than fight about it, I tell him to just pick it out and put it on the side
of his plate. Example, eating spaghetti and I put mushrooms in it. Just
put it on the side of his plate, and let it be. The problem is, he seems
'hide' food he doesn't like or want. I find the toast crust shoved in
the
corner of his chair at the table - same with the green beans or lima beans
or whatever out of his meals. He'll discreetly 'drop' the stuff he
doesn't
like under the table, under his chair or on his chair. It makes a huge
mess, and quite frankly, doing a full vacuum of the table area EVERY meal,
3x a day, shouldn't be necessary, I don't believe. But I have to because
there's a huge mess.
It isn't always stuff he doesn't like. To me, it almost seems like he's
gone back to the toddler stage of when he just doesn't want anymore, he'll
drop it. His cereal at breakfast - if he doesn't want to finish it, he
will
do the same dropping or hiding thing. I don't know why. I have never
forced him to eat anything more when he claims to be full, nor have I ever
forced him to eat anything he doesn't like. He knows the rules are that
if
you try it once and don't like it, fine. He also knows the rules are that
if he serves himself food (and he is definitely at that age where he likes
to serve himself) then he must eat all he takes - he knows to start small
and have seconds and is usually real good with this, with the exception of
the 'dropping' and 'hiding'. If someone else serves him, he needs to eat
an
acceptable amount and if he says he's full before the plate is done, then
there are no snacks until next meal (although he is more than welcome to
snack on the previous meal he filled up on)
I'm just wondering why he is dropping and hiding this food. It's really
starting to drive me insane. I've always thought that the food thing
wasn't
an issue. He has been doing this for quite some time - I'd say he started
about 2 years ago, but lately it seems to be getting worse. We had to put
DD1 back into her high chair to remove her booster seat partly because he
was hiding food under her booster seat. (other reason is this booster has
no straps to tie her in, so she stands or gets up) He definitely makes
more
of a mess at any given meal than DD1 does, and she is only 22 months.

Sorry this is so long. Tried to offer as much info as possible!
Any ideas?

Two things.

One is, if you know he doesn't like it, don't serve it to him. What's the
point
of it if he won't eat it (and surely you're not forcing him to eat it,
right?)
I can understand not wanting to vary recipies the rest of the family likes
make a special meal for him (like making a special spaghetti sauce without
mushrooms and doubling the pots to wash as well as your efforts in making
meal), turning yourself into a short order cook. But consider - he's a
family
member too, make a deal that, the family is x people, so one out of x
times, the
spaghetti sauce gets made without the mushrooms. Because I think maybe
he's
feeling really pressured by this stuff being put on his plate whether he
wants
it or not, and not having a part in the decisions about the family meals.

I often make changes in meals more often than not. He is the only one that
doesn't like mushrooms. More often than not, there are no mushrooms in the
spaghetti. I've cut out a lot of things I know he doesn't like - I don't
even keep onions in the house because he doesn't like them and I just don't
use them. I don't like onions, really, but I do like to cook with them for
the flavor added. I don't do that anymore.
The mushrooms are just a small example, more often than not, it's other
things. No, I will NOT cut the bread up so he doesn't have crust. No, I
will not dig through a bag of mixed vegetables and only pick out the peas, a
few carrots and some corn. The bag of mixed vegetables comes with peas,
carrots, corn, green beans. One other type I have bought also has the lima
beans in it. I do my best to scoop him out only what he likes and leave the
green beans and limas in there, but again, every now and then, one will slip
in, and really, sorry about his luck, one bean on his plate can be pushed
aside. The cereal for breakfast? He even gets to pick that out almost
every time. I do have a say (I don't buy those chocolate Lucky Charms which
is full of nothing but sugar) but he normally will pick something like
Frosted Flakes or Honeycombs, which I can handle. I find THAT all over and
around the tables and chairs as well, and it's normally in an isolated area
each time, which makes me know it's not just him being a sloppy eater
I make a lot of things just 'special' for his liking - fried rice, I make
with mushrooms, I make a special bit for him with no mushrooms. Eggs - I
know he likes them poached, I like them over easy, N likes them basted. I
do basted for N and I, poached for him, or just poach them all. I will make
a single small pot of soup he likes for lunch, and the rest of us will eat
another kind as well. I do try and make it easier for him, but sometimes
it's just not possible to do it all the way only he likes it, as then we'd
be eating next to nothing.

And of course talk with him about what the food-dropping is doing and why
it's
bad. And make him clean it up.

So you both work on this together.

Banty

Cleaning it up himself is definitely a very good and simple idea.
Sometimes, though, I don't check and he's already bolted from the table and
gone. Calling him back often causes him to be defiant and just stand there,
refusing, and pout. Often I will just do it myself because it's easier than
having a toddler track it about everywhere. I think talking would help, but
for this, I will have to find a way that works for HIM to talk, as he can
get difficult (as some do at this age, it seems!)

Old May 23rd 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

"Stephanie" wrote in message

"xkatx" wrote in message
Alright, this is driving me absolutely bonkers. I really don't know what
to do with this one, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas!
I'm x-posting (alt.mothers & misc.kids) - hope no one minds.

DS is now 6. He seems to be a fairly fussy eater, and has been for some
time. He doesn't like mushrooms. He doesn't like much for vegetables.
Not crazy about too many fruits, other than a rare banana, watermelon,
apples. Doesn't like yogurt, etc. I tend to 'sneak' these foods into his
diet, though, so it's not too big of a concern at times.

The problem is, though, I am getting sick and tired of certain things he
does. When eating, if he doesn't like it (and I know he doesn't) rather
than fight about it, I tell him to just pick it out and put it on the
side of his plate. Example, eating spaghetti and I put mushrooms in it.
Just put it on the side of his plate, and let it be. The problem is, he
seems to 'hide' food he doesn't like or want. I find the toast crust
shoved in the corner of his chair at the table - same with the green
beans or lima beans or whatever out of his meals. He'll discreetly
'drop' the stuff he doesn't like under the table, under his chair or on
his chair.

If it were me, I would keep my eye on him during meals. Presumably you are
sitting there too? Watch him. As his hand goes down to his chair, with
food in it, you tell him that there is no purpose whatsoever to be moving
food off the table to anywhere other than his mouth. If it persists, as
with any other table manner problem, the meal is done.

Watching him the whole time, or even most of the time, is fairly hard. I
often have to deal with DD1, as she's 22 months. Feeds herself, but still
have to watch her like a hawk or food goes into her ears, hair, lap,
whatever. I also have to spend a bit of time cutting up and getting her
food ready for her to eat. I also often have to deal with DD2, who doesn't
eat, but sits with us in her chair or in her exersaucer while we eat. I
always have to turn to her and make sure I know she's there (and let her see
me) or she has a clingy-freakout session.

Also with a 6yo, probably preceeding the aforementioned, you might sit
down and talk about it non-mealtime. Does he have a problem pushing it to
the side of the plate? What is the problem? Can you think of any ways to
solve this problem that don't involve stuffing the food into the chair?
This is, of course, assuming this is a table manners issue you are willing
to move on. My son prefers to have a separate small plate off his plate to
move the stuff he can't stand. I don't really understand his reasoning.
But I guess I don't have to.

It makes a huge mess, and quite frankly, doing a full vacuum of the table
area EVERY meal, 3x a day, shouldn't be necessary, I don't believe. But
I have to because there's a huge mess.

I would not accept a 6yo pitching food on the floor, at least as much for
the sake of said 6yo who is learning how to get along in the world and in
a family. I would let him know that his presence at the table is
contingent on his using table manners of a human being. If he cannot do
that, he is not welcome at the table. Food will resume when he can eat it
without strewning it all over the floor. (If he was 2 this would be a
completely different matter.)

It isn't always stuff he doesn't like. To me, it almost seems like he's
gone back to the toddler stage of when he just doesn't want anymore,
he'll drop it.

One quesion comes to mind... does he do this at school? If so, then my
advice will be completely different.

[...]

He's 6. You can ask him.

Old May 23rd 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Teri[_3_]

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

to 'hide' food he doesn't like or want. I find the toast crust shoved in
[...]

I know my 6yo is quite picky. One of the things that he is picky about is
having food that he doesn't like touching food that he does like. Maybe you
can provide him with a small dish on the side, into which he can place the
stuff he doesn't like. It might keep the discards more 'contained' while
allowing him to enjoy the food he does like without the 'contamination' of
touching the unliked items.
Teri

Old May 23rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
toypup

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:18:54 GMT, xkatx wrote:

I like the idea of him cleaning up, but we've had some issues with temper
tantrums, which we are working on and it is getting far better. Maybe that
will be the deal, and he can sit there all night if he refuses? I'm sure
he'd eventually do it!

My kids have always had to clean up the messes they deliberately make, so
they almost expect that they would have to clean up. I don't think you
should shy away from a consequence because he would have a tantrum over it.
That just allows him to do as he pleases without consequences.

When my kids did that and then had a tantrum because they didn't want to
clean up, I have been known to force the towel into their hand and then
drag their arm around the mess and making them clean up. Don't know why,
but they'd rather do it themselves than have me force them to do it that
way.
Old May 23rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
enigma

"xkatx" wrote in

"Stephanie" wrote in message

I don't know about the picky eater thing but as for the
vacuuming thing, maybe put a sheet or something under his
seat so that if he drops food you can just pick up the
sheet and toss the food, then use the sheet again for
later meals. Other than that, kids go through phases
where they don't like anything. Hopefully it'll pass
soon. --

If he was 2, I would agree with the sheet idea. But he is
6.

Yes, I agree with this...

well, you can use a splat mat or you can keep
mopping/vacuuming the floor...
OR, you can make him clean up his own mess. don't allow him
to leave the table until he has swept around his chair &
picked all the food off it. he *can* do this. my kid was
taught to pick up his mess & put his dishes in the sink (after
scraping leftovers into either the garbage or the dog's dish)
when he was 3. it's part of his chores.
as far as him being a picky eater, we have a rule that you
must try one bite of an unfamiliar food. if you dislike it,
you don't have to eat it, but you also *cannot* say "yuck!" or
any variation thereof, you may not whine about it being on
your plate & you may not remove it from your plate.
personally, i don't serve Boo things he doesn't like. if i'm
making lasagna for us, i'll boil some bowtie noodles for him
at the same time. he doesn't like the mouth feel of lasagne &
i understand that. i will offer him a bite, in case his tastes
have changed, but it's not an issue if he chooses not to. i
don't make his father eat beets or lima beans either, although
Boo & i love them (with beets, daddy gets the greens, which
Boo doesn't care for & we get the beets sorry Barb! g).
mushrooms have a very distictive mouth feel too, which i
dislike, although i like the taste. cream of mushroom is ok.
chunks of mushroom are icky.
lee
Old May 23rd 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
xkatx

"toypup" wrote in message
[...]

Hahaha I actually tried that with him once. It worked. I actually didn't
think to try it for this, though.
He didn't want to clean up his room, and I told him I understood (come to
think of it, I don't ever want to clean my room, the bathroom, the laundry,
dishes, floors...)
So I asked him if he wanted me to help him. He said yes, so I took his hand
and picked up each toy one by one, using HIS hand. It took about 3 or 4
toys to be picked up like this and put away before he swung his arm away
from me and told me he'd do it himself. Ever since that time, if I ask him
if he wants help with picking up his room, he says no.

Old May 23rd 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Amanda

"xkatx" wrote in message
Alright, this is driving me absolutely bonkers. I really don't know
what to do with this one, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas!
[...]

This may or may not make a lick of sense here we go. . .
He is 6 as said b-4 not 2, well explain this too him and explain that his
sister may do this but it is NOT acceptable for him to do this, then as far
as watching him ,have everyone's plate ready then call the to the table, i
have 4 children that i watch as well as 2 babies at meal times when i
baby-sit, i prepare the food that need cut up in the kitchen the set the
items they can get themselves on the table then call them for eating all the
same while eating with them and having to feed one of the babies as well as
(Same as you) comforting and making sure the 4 mo is happy and yes she is
very clingy also so i have too be insight at all times, now these are all 3
yo's not 6, but after they all go home i still have my 2 7 yo's my 6 yo and
my 3 yo too feed and I continue to do this also.. just try to experiment
around with "different- new" foods, that he has never had and he may open
his eyes to something that is awesomely nutritious and delicious... as also
noted easy and fun to make, another suggestion is having him help you
prepare the food and washing the dishes, maybe when he see's how long it
takes he will value your time cooking and realize this a bit... like i said
just my .02,, Ok back to the regular scheduled programs. . .and ohh a good
sight for good fun and fast meals is craftfoods .com give it a whirl. . .
and by all means good luck!!
Amanda

Old May 23rd 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
enigma

"xkatx" wrote in

Watching him the whole time, or even most of the time, is
fairly hard. I often have to deal with DD1, as she's 22
months. Feeds herself, but still have to watch her like a
hawk or food goes into her ears, hair, lap, whatever. I
also have to spend a bit of time cutting up and getting her
food ready for her to eat. I also often have to deal with
DD2, who doesn't eat, but sits with us in her chair or in
her exersaucer while we eat. I always have to turn to her
and make sure I know she's there (and let her see me) or
she has a clingy-freakout session.

so, has this behavior started since his sisters were born?
possibly it's attention-seeking?
is it possible to involve him more in menu planning & food
preparation? i mean let him look at cookbooks & see what he
might want to make sort of input. or take him to the store &
let him choose veggies to try.
he's 6. he can cook simple meals with assistance. if he's the
big boy cook, maybe you won't get such infantile attention
seeking. after all, he *does* see the babies getting a lot of
attention...
lee
Old May 23rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Cindi - HappyMamatoThree

. ..

"Stephanie" wrote in message

[...]

Lee,

We have so found that it is often the texture and not the taste in so many
instances. Artichokes are the thing that comes to mind first. Our children
all love spinach and artichoke dip, but not artichokes steamed or artichoke
hearts in a salad. Green beans cooked to death are a no, but slightly firm
are a winner. Frozen or fresh peas are a yes, canned is nasty.

With five of us I frequently cook something that has incredients others
don't like. The kids know to simply ignore what they don'e like and scoot it
over to the side. After one bite if they don't like it it's okay just leave
it.

And each child's mess is his own to clean up. Floor, chair, table around
their plate. Trash in the garbage, meat scraps to the dogs, etcetera.

Xkatx

You might try an idea my sister used with her sets of twins. She has 2 sets
and all of them seem to have different food likes and dislikes, and texture
tolerances. So she used the tapas method of serving. Purchase some custard
cups or salsa bowls (small not pretty, the ones at the dollar store are
perfect) and allow them to have each food in a separate small bowl. Yes it
makes for a bit more washing, I know that. But if it means there is no huge
mess to clean up, and no tantrums at the table, etcetera then it might be
worth it. You might add that he rinses and puts his dishes in the dishwasher
when he is done. One of my nieces has such a texture aversion that if foods
were touching it would make her gag. Not tantrum acting out, just the way
she is, some odors do the same thing for her.

I hope you find a good solution that works for all of you and doesn't turn
dinner into a battle ground

Cindi

Old May 23rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
JennP.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
I think he is old enough to clean everything up himself. Before he
can leave the dining area, he has to clean all the areas where he
hides food.

I agree. I have an electric sweeper that both kids use to clean up their
crumbs. Ds is 6.5 and DD is 2.5. She does a decent job. Decent enough to
take responsibility for her mess.

JennP.

6 mos eating Nicole Breastfeeding 25 May 4th 07 09:12 PM
DD not eating well Jenny Breastfeeding 4 April 10th 07 06:31 PM
NB not eating enough Shell Breastfeeding 16 November 23rd 05 02:27 AM
what are you eating?? ted Pregnancy 25 January 28th 04 05:59 PM
How much should my 1 yo be eating?? A&G&K Breastfeeding 10 August 22nd 03 09:43 PM