UK university

Old May 29th 07, 09:03 AM posted to misc.kids
Mark, Devon

Default UK university

Hi,

My 17 year old daughter, Anna, is looking into which university to do
a degree at, from September 2008. Any advice would be appreciated. I
never went to university and have little idea on such matters. Anna is
a very good student, currently doing the IB, having gained GCSE's last
year (7 A*s and 2 As). On the IB she enjoys Spanish and French and
English. She also is very good at maths, environmental science and
theory of knowledge.

Anna loves music, dance and keeping fit and generally is a very good
student and wants to learn loads.

Her degree - she wants to do French, Spanish, Italian (if there is
such a degree).

Geographically, there are no great restrictions - she will consider
anywhere in the UK. However she is currently in Cornwall doing the IB.

So, a good university that does the sort of degree Anna wants to do?
Accommodation? Social life? Pleasant location? A uni which is likely
to have more able students? A degree which is perhaps more language
than literature based.

Any advice appreciated. We know there are other avenues to explore
about universities... but I am interested to hear from people who have
experienced university themselves or have family/friends at uni. etc.
Like, a more 'direct/personal' experience, different to university/
ucas literature etc.

Thanks.

Old May 29th 07, 09:29 AM posted to misc.kids
Mary Ann

On 29 May, 09:03, "Mark, Devon" wrote:
[...]

IMO, finding out which university to go to should be one of the things
your daughter should do as part
of the process. She'll stand out more in interviews if she is able to
give her own reasons for choosing a particular institution.

Mary Ann

Old May 29th 07, 01:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Mark, Devon" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The best idea is to talk to her teachers. They should have reasonable
experience as to where is a good level for her to be aiming
(Oxbridge/redbrick/white tile/mickymouse...etc.) Aiming at the right level
is a good start. Employers look now more at which Uni. you went to so she
doesn't want to be much beneath her ability, but it's miserable struggling
academically at university.
They'll be mostly looking at Alevels, so what grades she's aiming at are
relevant, but don't guarantee places. Other interests make you look less
one-sided on the UCAS form, but at the end of the day they don't make major
differences if you're a good candidate. If she could do something relevant
to her required degree over the summer either paid or unpaid-or even with
languages just travelling, then that'll be a good thing.
I'm not sure how many places do three languages, my knowledge of redbricks
at any rate is that they're generally 2 languages or 1 language and a second
subject (e.g. law)
I don't know how highly the IB is considered for places in Uni.'s. It was
lower than A-level when I was applying, but I have got the impression that
it is now considered at least as high.
Accommodation will usually be first year only. Most good places will give
you first year, then you sort out your own after that. Living out is usually
more expensive, very much so in London. Oxbridge, Durham, and St. Andrews
may give you more, even the entire time, depending on the college.
If she discusses it with her teachers and gets an idea of places then
visiting the cities/towns over the summer may help her think about such
things. Often of you write to the admissions tutors they can arrange for
someone to show you round some of the university places. This does not give
you any help in getting in (which my school was convinced was the case),
although it can be something to drop into the conversation at interview if
they give you a chance to ask questions. You say something along the lines
of "When Dr. **** was showing me round last summer he mentioned/I noticed/
and could you explain more fully etc." can mark you out slightly.
Main thing is to make sure what she writes on the UCAS form is good English,
and isn't copied from the internet/someone else. (apparently there is a lot
of copying at the moment so tutors are looking out for this) Your daughter
should write it herself and be comfortable to be asked about anything on
there. If she spent one night in Germany as a baby it isn't wise to write
"my love of languages dates from staying in Germany as a child" because if
they ask her to talk about staying in Germany she's going to have to make it
up and admission tutors are (sometimes) quite good at picking that out.
But if she's interested in, say, cricket, she doesn't need to memorise the
English batting averages to convince them. They'll be much more interested
in that she is last man in for her local club, which is bottom of the league
than she's been to Lords every year!
On the music interest she wants to put if she plays an instrument, and if
she's in a group/done concerts. Dance side, what sort of dance, how long
she's learnt, again performances, has she helped with younger
groups/backstage etc. It's really just to show that she doesn't spend all
her time studying and hiding as a recluse in her room with pop music
blaring!!!!
I expect her school can help considerably and should be beginning to look at
such things once the term exams have finished.
HTH
Debbie

Old May 29th 07, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Welches wrote:
"Mark, Devon" wrote in message
[...]

The British system is different from the US system. In the US, there are
guidance councilors whose job includes help in college placement. If
there are people like that in the UK schools, I suggest that she talk
them, as well.

Jeff

Old May 29th 07, 07:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Her degree - she wants to do French, Spanish, Italian (if there is
such a degree).

There is a book, published each year, which lists subjects, then which
universities they are available at, it would include things with a dance
component if she is interested in that. In the main modern languages at
university usually only cover 2 languages, but that doesn't mean there isn't
somewhere that allows you to do all 3. The school careers office, or library
should have a copy of such a book.

If she wants to apply to Oxbridge, she needs to move fast as the application
deadline is earlier (I think it may also be for medcine these days), and
with those GCSEs, there is no reason why she shouldn't apply if she wants
to.

Mary-Ann is right, it's the kind of thing she needs to investigate for
herself, looking at the things that are most important to her, though for
some reason, Nottingham is jumping out at me right now as somewhere she
might like to investigate!

Prospectuses are likely to be online these days, but I think it's easier to
look at the paper copies, I seem to recall some kind of generic form that I
filled into get get about 10 prospectuses.

When applying, consider carefully 2nd options, in case she doesn't meet the
offer criteria for the first, but also be realistic, if the offer is a lot
lower than her first choice offer, then if she ends up going there, she
could find it boring. If the worst happens and she misses both, there is
always clearing.

Cheers

Anne

Old May 30th 07, 04:36 PM posted to misc.kids
KLR

[...]

I would recommend checking out http://www.yougofurther.co.uk for
information on the social side of university life, Course Search on
UCAS Apply is the best place for the most up-to-date information on
2008 courses - url is http://www.ucas.com/search/index.html, and also
contains information on fees and bursaries. The Institution Guide
http://www.ucas.com/instit/index.html will give you a list of all UK
institutions in the UCAS scheme and can give basic information on open
days, interview processes, accommodation and links to the university
websites themselves.

Or she can choose to attend a HE fair/convention - information can be
obtained from the UCAS website or by emailing .
Quite often you will see students there who are happy to talk about
their experiences with applying to Higher Education.

Alternatively she could speak to a careers adviser at school and ask
if any previous students are going to be invited in to talk about
Higher Education as they can be a good source of information on the
application process and university life itself.

There is also a Parents Guide on the UCAS website -
http://www.ucas.com/parents/index.html
which you may find of use.

I would recommend that you encourage your daughter to do the majority
of this legwork herself as when it comes to the interview stage/
personal statement writing, she will have a better indication of what
the universities themselves are looking for and know how to present
herself accordingly.

Good luck to your daughter with this exciting time!

KLR

Old May 30th 07, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids
KLR

On 29 May, 13:38, "Welches"
wrote:
"Mark, Devon" wrote in message

[...]

Debbie- Hide quoted text -

UCAS now use software that will search through previous personal
statements and selected internet resources to detect plagiarism so
it's very important that a personal statement isn't copied or
'purchased' from the internet.

University... Kim Single Parents 10 August 28th 05 12:01 AM
A message from researchers at the University of Oklahoma HealthOU Pregnancy 1 May 9th 05 06:41 AM
A message from researchers at the University of Oklahoma HealthOU Kids Health 0 May 9th 05 04:28 AM
Psychological Research - University of Wolverhampton tuppennyblue Pregnancy 0 September 15th 03 12:07 PM
UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN FEMALES WANTED........ UNL Girl Spanker Spanking 3 August 7th 03 06:17 AM