Best swaddling solution for 3-month old?

Old May 7th 06, 04:09 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Best swaddling solution for 3-month old?

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.
Blankets are NOT a SIDS risk -- that's doonas/duvets/conforters, things
that
you can sink into a bit.

But many organizations are recommending no blankets
as well, and instead encouraging sleeping bags or sleepers
or such appropriate to the season. So, a number of folks
aren't using blankets or sheets.

That seems to me to go beyond the research evidence! I am surprised it has had
such an effect on the sale of flat sheets, especially as people in mk*
regularly mention bumpers, which are a definite SIDS risk factor. Very odd!

Actually, I think top sheets in cribs weren't much
in use in the US even before there was any association with
SIDS. Now, however, even blanket use is dropping in favor
of sleeping bags.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 7th 06, 05:11 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.

Blankets are NOT a SIDS risk -- that's doonas/duvets/conforters, things
that
you can sink into a bit.

But many organizations are recommending no blankets
as well, and instead encouraging sleeping bags or sleepers
or such appropriate to the season. So, a number of folks
aren't using blankets or sheets.

That seems to me to go beyond the research evidence! I am surprised it has
had
such an effect on the sale of flat sheets, especially as people in mk*
regularly mention bumpers, which are a definite SIDS risk factor. Very odd!

My not using flat sheets had nothing to do with that -- I'm just not
even sure they're available in crib size here. I don't remember Mom
ever using them, either.

Old May 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to misc.kids

dragonlady wrote:

My not using flat sheets had nothing to do with that -- I'm just not
even sure they're available in crib size here. I don't remember Mom
ever using them, either.

They are available. They're just hard to find
(and often pricey as a result).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 8th 06, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

[...]

I would have thought that sleeping bags were a bigger risk then
blankets. What happens if the room heats up in the night - at least
with blankets, you can take one off, without disturbing the baby.
Or for that matter, the room cools down? Blankets just seem to give
so many more options.

In Britain, we are advised to put the baby with his/her feet at the
foot of the bed, and the blankets up to their shoulders, so that they
can't wriggle under the blanket(s).

It might be a cultural thing though: in Britain very few homes have air
con (I don't know anyone with it), and many people don't use heating
overnight. So we expect the temperature, and hence the required
amount of covering, to change.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 8th 06, 03:27 PM posted to misc.kids

Penny Gaines wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Actually, I think top sheets in cribs weren't much
in use in the US even before there was any association with
SIDS. Now, however, even blanket use is dropping in favor
of sleeping bags.

I would have thought that sleeping bags were a bigger risk then
blankets. What happens if the room heats up in the night - at least
with blankets, you can take one off, without disturbing the baby.
Or for that matter, the room cools down? Blankets just seem to give
so many more options.

I don't pretend to be an expert on what folks
*ought* to do. Just saying that there is a lot of advice
to avoid blankets in favor of other solutions. Here's
one example:

http://www.mommysthinkin.com/halo_sl...le_blanket.htm

From the American SIDS Alliance:

http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm
"Place infants to sleep in a baby bed with a firm mattress. There should
be nothing in the bed but the baby - no covering, no pillows, no bumper
pads and no toys. "

From another site listing the recommendations by various US
authorities:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_171.html
" Consider using a sleeper or other sleep clothing as an alternative to
blankets, with no other covering."

This is all quite typical of what is promoted in the US
for SIDS prevention.

In Britain, we are advised to put the baby with his/her feet at the
foot of the bed, and the blankets up to their shoulders, so that they
can't wriggle under the blanket(s).

Some US guidelines say something similar, but a lot
of folks would rather just use a sleeping bag or sleeper
rather than fussing with the blankets to make sure that
they stay where they're supposed to stay. I know a number
of folks who obsess over this stuff (lay awake nights worried
that the baby has rolled into a less optimal position, or
has gotten under the blankets, or whatever).

It might be a cultural thing though: in Britain very few homes have air
con (I don't know anyone with it), and many people don't use heating
overnight. So we expect the temperature, and hence the required
amount of covering, to change.

I suspect US homes in general may be more climate
controlled, but I also suspect it's just as easy to use
different layers with the onsie/sleeper/sleeping bag combos
as it is to use different/more/fewer blankets.

Best wishes,
Ericka