Cloth diapers (x-posted)

Old January 30th 04, 05:46 PM
Fer

Default Cloth diapers (x-posted)

You'd think I'd know this one but it has been quite a long time since I've
cloth diapered a babe.

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

TIA!
--

Jenn
-WAHM

Old January 30th 04, 06:10 PM
Night Owl

"Fer" wrote in message

You'd think I'd know this one but it has been quite a long time since I've
cloth diapered a babe.

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

TIA!

Depends on how much washing you want to do. I liked washing often but I
have about 3 dozen diapers and 1 dozen covers.

Anni

Old January 30th 04, 06:13 PM
Linz

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:46:51 GMT, "Fer" wrote:

You'd think I'd know this one but it has been quite a long time since I've
cloth diapered a babe.

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

I got 2 dozen of the tiny size and 6 newborn wraps in a sale - didn't
realise the prefolds were tiny but it did give me a chance to decide
whether or not it was the route for us. It was, so when he was nearly
too big for them, I got 2 dozen regular prefolds and 6 medium
Popo-wraps. He looked swamped in them to begin with but they're fine.
The wraps should last till he's about a year, then I'll get the bigger
ones which should do till he's out of nappies (I hope).
--
Linz
YB: 14 weeks, 14lbs 7oz
Old January 30th 04, 06:20 PM
Anne Rogers

You'd think I'd know this one but it has been quite a long time since I've
cloth diapered a babe.

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

we started with 2 dozen terry squares, but found by the time we had enough
for a full load (that being the most economical I think) we would run out
before they were dry. An extra dozen solved that. We have 5 wraps in the
current size.

Old January 30th 04, 07:18 PM
Elana Kehoe

Fer wrote:

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

We've got about 40 diapers and about 15 wraps. We used the smaller
prefolds for about 2 years, now we're in the toddler ones.
--
"In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words.
Now that's just not sporting!"
Old January 30th 04, 08:28 PM
zeldabee

Anne Rogers was all, like:
You'd think I'd know this one but it has been quite a long time
since I've cloth diapered a babe.

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there
is...just how many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds
since I didn't like the fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per
size?

we started with 2 dozen terry squares, but found by the time we had
enough for a full load (that being the most economical I think) we
would run out before they were dry. An extra dozen solved that. We
have 5 wraps in the current size.

You're bubby's in daycare, right? Do you carry diapers back and forth to
daycare?

I had Sprogly in cloth dipes for the first 2 months, and switched to
disposables partly because I didn't want to schlep dirty diapers back and
forth, and partly because my DCP had no experience using the cloth ones, and
seemed unenthusiastic about it. Also, Sprogly was still soiling a cover with
every diaper change. But I don't like using disposables--don't like the
diapers, don't like the garbage.

I'm considering Fuzzi Bunz--anyone use them, or have any thoughts on them? I
know a couple of people who rave about them.

http://fuzzibunzstore.com/

They seem expensive, but convenient.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 30th 04, 08:33 PM
HollyLewis

Maybe a different type of wrap or diaper would be a good consideration
if the ones you use don't last a couple of changes? Wraps and diapers
vary, too.

When we were using cloth, we also found that a cover never went more than 2-3
changes at most. I don't know if it was baby's body shape, the frequency with
which he pooped, our folding incompetence, or what, but the covers always
leaked at the elastic around the legs and we weren't willing to put a cover
with wet and/or poopy leg elastic back on the baby without washing it. We
ended up with about 15 of them, in a variety of different types, and none of
them were much better than others. And we had to launder them every other day.

We never tried a different type of diaper, just standard prefolds, because we
were using a service. If only there were a diaper service that offered fitted
or AIO diapers, I would sign on in a heartbeat! But having to wash covers all
the time got to me, and I couldn't see keeping it up once I was back in the
office full time, so we gave up and switched to disposables.

I've been trying to figure out whether it's worth trying cloth again on #2. I
really think I don't want to wash my own, though, so I figure we'll have the
same problem.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 30th 04, 08:41 PM
Dawn Lawson

HollyLewis wrote:

Maybe a different type of wrap or diaper would be a good consideration
if the ones you use don't last a couple of changes? Wraps and diapers
vary, too.

When we were using cloth, we also found that a cover never went more than 2-3
changes at most. I don't know if it was baby's body shape, the frequency with
which he pooped, our folding incompetence, or what, but the covers always
leaked at the elastic around the legs and we weren't willing to put a cover
with wet and/or poopy leg elastic back on the baby without washing it.

Me neither, obviously.
FWIW, the biggest messes I ever had with diapers were without fail
with disposibles. YUKKKKO.
I'd rather wash a cover than everything the baby was wearing and lying on.

Dawn

WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 10:47 PM
Cloth Diapers Phoebe & Allyson General 2 August 4th 03 07:39 AM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM