Juice question: healthy?

Old September 17th 04, 08:15 AM
Jamie Clark

Yeah, I can see tossing it if it smells funny, but apple juice lasts
forever, at least in my fridge. Really. Now I do get some orange juice
that gets a wee bit carbonated and needs to be tossed, but never apple
juice. Huh.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

"Tori M." wrote in message

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
You throw away apple juice that you don't use? After how long? I have a
huge jug-o-juice in my fridge, and it stays there until it's gone. Since
I'm watering down her juice by about 50%, it's going to take a few weeks.
--

I must admit I have been known to toss out juice after a week.. If it
smells

Tori

Old September 19th 04, 07:31 AM
A&G&K&H

"Tori M." wrote in message

For DD, we've only let her taste juice from our glass very recently.

She
gets water or milk to drink. My theory - even with 100% juice - is

that
I'd rather she ate a piece of fruit and had a drink of water than had

juice
at her age (2).
Also be aware that citrus juices can make for urine which stings their
little tushies.
My 2c
Amanda

I would normaly agree except we can not get our Bonnie to eat real fruit

99%
of the time.. We have compromised a bit by getting mostly Cranberry blends
so at least she is helping keep off Bladder Infections/UTI's We only get
100% juice for the house.. Though we do have some "fake" juice.. koolaid

and
ice tea mixes but they last forever with all the "real" stuff... we only

get
9 cans a month from WIC

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Dammit - my posts aren't showing up and I'm missing stuff!!

I think our DD would starve sometimes if she *didn't* have a choice of fruit
to eat (its like pulling teeth to get her to eat meat sometimes). We do
grow a variety of fruit ourselves and so its very fresh and tasty. I don't
think she's ever not liked a fruit we've offered her. In fact, her first
taste of solid food was (unintentionally) watermelon - DH was eating a piece
and she just grabbed it out of his hand and gummed the life out of it before
we even knew what was happening.

I wonder if you could try juicing the fruit yourself so that it has lots of
fibre in it? Do you think Bonnie would try that?

Also - Tori - did you see the post I sent in about skin-to-skin contact
within an hour of the birth and increased bf rates. I've been thinking
about a post you wrote recently about not having the "warm fuzzies" about bf
and thought it might be something practical you could try to see if it helps
you.
FWIW - I wasn't passionate about bf until after I had DD and had bf her
successfully for quite a while.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old September 19th 04, 11:09 AM
Amy

As everyone has already said, I would stick to milk and water for the sake
of her teeth. It isn't that juice is unhealthy in itself, and definitely
once you start giving juice, I would give pure juice over cordials. But a
lot of seemingly healthy options, raisins for example, wreak havoc on
children's teeth. With solids, always feed more savoury foods than sweet,
and give fruits in moderation. It's extreme, but I know of an infant
frequently given juice in a bottle whose teeth had to be all pulled before
they'd even finished erupting from her gums. I think she'd been left sitting
with a juice bottle frequently, but scary stuff nevertheless - poor kid
would have no teeth until she turned six.

"Jill" wrote in message
A few quick juice questions, Since pregnancy: I cut out caffeine and no
longer am drinking any kind of soda/carbonated drinks. Also am wondering
since in a couple months Rachel will be ready for juice.

I know 100% juice is much better than "concentrate" and "cocktails" that

are
15% juice and loaded with added sugar and artificial flavors. So for

Rachel
I want to stick only to limited amounts of 100% juice, probably no more

than
4 ounces a day and that's even watered down 50/50 with water- I don't want
her to eat a lot of junk and sugar growing up and want to give her a

healthy
start. (A friend of mine has a mother who puts PEPSI in her baby's sippy
cup! The baby is 18 months old! )

For me, is 100% juice, no sugar added, really an okay way to get in an
extra serving of fruit per day? I mean I assume juice from the store has
been processed to death anyway. I see 100% juice as better for you than
concentrate drinks/KoolAid type things/soda, but I still think it is just
added calories and not much nutrition even if it has added vitamin c or
something. I don't even think of , say, White House 100% Apple Juice as a
serving of fruit, but it is advertised on the carton as a serving of

fruit!

And for Rachel--the way I see it, 100% juice is the way to go. Sure it's
sugar too, but at least it has no added sugar or artificial crap. And yeah
it's calories, but isn't it better than soft drinks/soda and Kool Aid? A

kid
can't drink 2% milk and water all day......

Old September 19th 04, 03:11 PM
Jill

"A&G&K&H" wrote
FWIW - I wasn't passionate about bf until after I had DD and had bf her
successfully for quite a while.

Amanda

Me, too. I secretly thought I might put her on formula. But I did have very
strong feelings. First, when I just gave birth and they handed her to me, I
was scared to hold her! I took her because I felt like I had to, I just
wished someone else would hold her so I could stare and stare. I was really
uncomfortable holding her, lol, she looked so fragile. Then later when I was
in the room and the nurses were all gone away and my husband had gone home
to shower....I held her to nurse her, sort of hesitantly to see what would
happen (I knew my milk wasn't in yet)....I was still all worried about
"holding her right" etc. But when she latched right on and looked soooo tiny
and helpless, I was in love. I was so sleep deprived I was so exhausted, and
in pain, and that was big problem for the first 2 weeks, pure exhaustion. I
wanted to badly for someone else to be able to feed her because I was
getting any rest and it was really getting to me, I felt like crap. I stuck
with it because I wanted to give it a good try and being THAT tired, I
didn't feel like doing the little work necessary to fix her a bottle. But
before I knew it, she was so attached to nursing, and I just loved to stare
and stare at her, and at night, so much easier just to roll over and nurse
her. Then it just grew to a passion, as time went on and I saw how she loved
it, and how it comforted her, etc. Watch her get her vaccination shots, and
watch her look for mama to nurse. Awwww. I was really ambivalent,
although I was vocal about wanting to try, I was also trying to convince
myself. I had serious doubts.

If I had had any major problems, such as her having latch problems, it would
have driven me to formula. I can SEE how some babies just don't latch on,
because our nursing has gone so well because of Rachel to a large part. I
have a friend whp tried to bf her son but he had a very rough latch and they
couldn't get it to stop hurting her. I can totally see how she didn't want
to bf. If it doesnt feel at least neutral, you are going to hate it and
that's not good. For me it just feels sweet, like, aw, look at her. But if
it was hurting me I would be thinking OOOhh I hate this all the time, and it
wouldn't work.

So I think if you don't want to try BF and just think formula is the way to
go for you that is ok, and don't let anyone judge you for that. None of
their business, and you'll be just as great of a mom. Don't feel like you
HAVE to try nursing. But, if you are at all inclined, try it for curiosity
and see how it goes, you might be surprised and it might work out well. It
looks like I am going to bf Rachel for a while more - she won't take
formula, so I am sure I am going to bf her for one year, which is something
I NEVER planned on, I never planned on going for that long. It was something
I thought to do for 6 months and "get over with". But it's going well and I
like how happy she is nursing. She is going to be hard to wean! Mainly
because she does not like the taste of any formulas. That's ok, I am
enjoying it. I plan to nurse her until she can take cow's milk. And by then
she will be on a lot more solids.

If someone doesn't want to BF though, then I guarantee you that formula
feeding is the best choice. If you don't want to do it you will not feel
happy to do it.

Old September 21st 04, 01:30 AM
Zannah

In article ,
"Jill" wrote:

"Carol Ann" wrote
kids in the neighborhood at the liquor store (very low income) come in with
their moms or dads (or sometimes just a group of other kids) and buy sodas
and candy. I've watched in the past 3 years how obese 9/10 of them has
become. It's disgusting. I can't believe I EAT the crap.

I'll be honest. I don't know how to keep Rachel away from that trap, WITHOUT
making her insecure. I will never, ever , ever do what was done to me and
make comments like "If you eat that you will get fat" etc. "You dont' need

I just say "that's not healthy" and my daughter seems to understand that
just fine. I have found that knowing I'm setting an example for my
daughter is a *really* a good incentive to make sure I eat properly.

that, you'll put on weight". That is why I am so determined to set the
example by what I do, so she will pick it up without me saying things to
her. But it is going to be hard, what with the way the rest of the family on
both sides lets their kids eat. My niece was provided McDonalds food twice a
day every day this past summer, when she was out of school and staying at
MIL/FIL's business! They said well, we are at work, we can't cook. NO but
you can bag that kid a lunch! "Well, she wont' eat that, She has to have
McDonalds or she won't eat". Scary. My niece is not overweight, now. But she
is only 7. My husband told me that MIL bought a dozen sweet muffins in to
work for anyone who wanted them, and my niece was there, and she got so
****ed because one of my BIL's ate 1 of them. She said that Grandma bought
that whole box *for her* and threw a tantrum until finally her dad gave MIL
$10 and told her to go buy another dozen just for my niece. Where does THAT
come from????? sheesh. she couldn't eat the dozen but didn't want anyone
else to have them.

Maybe it's a grandparent thing? My MIL (who I adore) has always been
completely loco on the subject on eating healthily; we went for a year
where every meal had bok choi with it. But when she feeds my daughter...
she buys her McDonalds, she gives her juice, she buys her bizarre
sugar-based snacks "because she's not eating enough." I've ceased trying
to figure it out, and just accept it. I figure if she gets a variety of
proper food at home, junk food isn't going to kill her twice a month.

Zannah.
Old September 21st 04, 01:38 AM
Leslie

Maybe it's a grandparent thing? My MIL (who I adore) has always been
completely loco on the subject on eating healthily; we went for a year
where every meal had bok choi with it. But when she feeds my daughter...
she buys her McDonalds, she gives her juice, she buys her bizarre
sugar-based snacks "because she's not eating enough." I've ceased trying
to figure it out, and just accept it. I figure if she gets a variety of
proper food at home, junk food isn't going to kill her twice a month.

Oh my god this sounds so much like my mother! She used to be a vegetarian and
is always going to the health food store, yet when Emily was born and I wanted
to keep her off sugary foods, she was the one who said I was cruel not to feed
her chocolate and was always trying to sneak her things! She has been known to
buy soda for my (literally) hyperactive ten year old--even he was surprised and
was expecting to be refused when he asked for it! She has been on me my entire
life for being overweight--put me on a diet when I was only four years old--and
she is always offering my kids fattening foods.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old September 21st 04, 06:01 PM
Jill

"Leslie" wrote
yet when Emily was born and I wanted
to keep her off sugary foods, she was the one who said I was cruel not to

feed
her chocolate and was always trying to sneak her things! She has been

known to
buy soda for my (literally) hyperactive ten year old--even he was

surprised and
was expecting to be refused when he asked for it! She has been on me my

entire
life for being overweight--put me on a diet when I was only four years

old--and
she is always offering my kids fattening foods.

My mom is going to be the worst about this. She keep asking and asking about
feeding her *now* when she is 4 and a half months old, just because she saw
the opened rice cereal box. Now she thinks she can turn it up with the baby
food jars. Rachel didn't take to the rice so I am backing off, waiting a
couple weeks, and trying again with the rice cereal with bananas. I may wait
the whole 6 months for that since she is doing so well on just breast milk.

But DH and I decided that for her first year we just aren't letting anyone
else feed her. (grandparents). No one else would even want to feed her. The
grandparents seem to want to relive their own kids' babyhood, they are
always the ones wanting to bathe, to feed, to groom, etc. But I do have a
couple friends I'd leave Rachel with, without even having to think twice
about what they're going to do to her.

Anyway if we feed her then it just takes away the whole issue of someone
giving her cow's milk too early, of giving her grapes without mashing them
up, and giving her other foods such as steamed oysters, and chocolate, that
I have seen the grandparents do with others. Also one grandparent (MIL) does
NOT understand why you can't just give a kid who is just started on
tablefoods, a hot dog. (not cut up). etc. It is a wonder none of the othre
grandkids have choked- they were also the ones to give oysters.

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 08:05 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Spanking 12 December 10th 03 02:30 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Spanking 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM