Shopping Cart Liners ~ Opinions

Old September 26th 04, 03:35 AM
Irene

"Not My Real Name" wrote in message ...
"Dagny" wrote in message

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
news:lBf5d.109400$MQ5.10457@attbi_s52...
Which one do you use and/or recommend?

None, if it's too awful you can pick another or wipe it off with a wet
wipe
from your diaper bag.

I belive in exposing kids to SOME germs.

Likewise. When DD was really little, if I wasn't slinging her or otherwise
carrying her, I used my own infant seat, rather than the ones that are on

the store shopping carts. When she was in the really mouthy stage, I would
often wipe off the handle and the buckle things, because those do get pretty
icky sometimes. Oh, and in that really mouthy stage, I did have a little
cover to put over the shopping cart handle that I used sometimes (when I
could remember it, lol), some to keep germs away, but mostly because I
didn't want her bumping her mouth/teeth on the hard cart handle. The cover
was a bit softer. Nowadays, I pick one that looks pretty decent and don't
generally worry about it. DD has been remarkably healthy so far. I've
known kids whose parents were neurotic about wiping everything, shopping
carts, the kids' hands after they went anywhere, etc., etc., and those kids
were really healthy too, but the second they hit preschool with a lot of
other kids (and more responsibility for their own hygiene), it was cold
after cold after cold. Frankly, I'd rather spread it out a bit if
possible -- a cold here or there when she's young (and easier to comfort)
than a whole ton in a row, but we shall see what happens.

I also prefer exposing my babies to germs while they are still bf - it
makes recovery from ordinary colds & stuff so much quicker.
(Obviously if they were immune-compromised I'd have different ideas.)
The first cold after weaning was a much longer recovery!

Irene
Old September 26th 04, 03:39 AM
Irene

--
~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the FREE Monthly Weightloss Challenge

None. I don't use them either. I haven't figured out how I'm supposed to
carry the 25 lb toddler/baby and put this thing onto the shopping cart, tie
it down and then put DS into the seat. WAY too much trouble. Also, while
people complain about the cleanliness of carts, I'm not sure this would be
much better.

Jeanne

Hmmm...I've never used one, but I bet if I did, I would put it in the
cart before taking baby out of the car. I try to park next to the
cart return whenever possible, anyhow.

Irene
Old September 26th 04, 04:20 AM
Carol Ann

Which one do you use and/or recommend?

I've been starting to see those around. What exactly are they for, anyway?

JennP.

I thought it was for multiple uses:

1. The carts are filthy (2nd only to bathrooms from what I read).
2. The cover cushions the seat so that the baby is more comfortable.
3. The cover allows baby to play with attached toys.

That's why I want one. I'm leaning towards the Baby Ala Cart.

~Carol Ann
http://tinyurl.com/66bvu ---Recent Pictures of Morgan

Old September 26th 04, 04:39 AM
Nan

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:20:26 GMT, "Carol Ann"
scribbled:

Which one do you use and/or recommend?

I've been starting to see those around. What exactly are they for, anyway?

JennP.

I thought it was for multiple uses:

1. The carts are filthy (2nd only to bathrooms from what I read).
2. The cover cushions the seat so that the baby is more comfortable.
3. The cover allows baby to play with attached toys.

That's why I want one. I'm leaning towards the Baby Ala Cart.

Do you have a link for that one? I'd like to see it.

Nan
Old September 26th 04, 04:52 AM
Nan

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:20:26 GMT, "Carol Ann"
scribbled:

Which one do you use and/or recommend?

I've been starting to see those around. What exactly are they for, anyway?

JennP.

I thought it was for multiple uses:

1. The carts are filthy (2nd only to bathrooms from what I read).
2. The cover cushions the seat so that the baby is more comfortable.
3. The cover allows baby to play with attached toys.

That's why I want one. I'm leaning towards the Baby Ala Cart.

I found it. A mom on another board I read makes these:

http://www.peasandsprouts.com/index.htm

Nan
Old September 26th 04, 01:00 PM
firedancer623

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Which one do you use and/or recommend?

I've been starting to see those around. What exactly are they for,
anyway?

JennP.

I thought it was for multiple uses:

1. The carts are filthy (2nd only to bathrooms from what I read).
2. The cover cushions the seat so that the baby is more comfortable.
3. The cover allows baby to play with attached toys.

Yep, that's why we got one. Those cart seats just look uncomfortable. As
soon as my older 2 could talk and protest, they would never sit in there. Im
hoping the cover helps, it seems to! Overall, it was a good investment for
us. I know lots of people make good points about exposing kids to germs but
I've had 2 older, relatively healthy kids and the baby has been the sickest
of all so far. His last case was Hand, Food and Mouth and it was NOT fun.

Since we bought the cover, he hasn't been sick beyond a little cold here and
there. Our pediatrician did say that he was probably catching things from
filthy shopping carts or eating at places like McDonalds and not wiping the
tray (which I do) I guess Im a germ freak and paranoid parent because my
daughter at 17 mos got rotovirus from a playplace and was in the hospital on
IV fluids. She lost so much weight (she went down to 16 lbs, at a year and a
half old) and was sick for days. Ever since then, I am freaky about it. I
dont care about them catchng a cold but you just don't know what else they
can pick up.

Kari

Old September 26th 04, 03:31 PM
Linz

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:53:53 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
wrote:

Linz wibbled
Carol Ann wrote:

Which one do you use and/or recommend?

What are they?

AFAICT they cover the plastic/wire baby seat to stop baby chewing it

I thought that was probably it, but wanted to try to point out that
some of us don't use the things...

etc. We tend to grab one of the (fleece) blankets out of the car if the
trolleys are wet or if we're going to go into the chiller sections (so
it's primarily to keep him warm/dry rather than germ-free!). If the
trolley/seat don't look too clean we either grab another one or wrap
the blanket around so that he can't chew the disgusting bits. Then we
just drop the blanket in the wash when we get home.

I'm afraid the most YoungBloke gets is a trolley with a dry seat! We
go around the whole supermarket every time so he has to put up with
the cold sections (and for some reason the fruit and veg aisles are
colder than the chilled food bit!).
--
Linz
YB: 9.5 months, 9.4kgs - 20lbs 12oz, 71cm
Old September 26th 04, 03:42 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

om...
"Carol Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Ah well, I guess that's why I'm not very organized. I just don't think of
these things.

Jeanne

Old September 26th 04, 03:58 PM
Sara

Linz wrote:

I'm afraid the most YoungBloke gets is a trolley with a dry seat! We
go around the whole supermarket every time so he has to put up with
the cold sections (and for some reason the fruit and veg aisles are
colder than the chilled food bit!).

YoungBloke gets a trolley? OooooOOOOh, so that's how the other half
lives...
Old September 26th 04, 04:25 PM
Nan

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:00:37 GMT, "firedancer623"
scribbled:

Since we bought the cover, he hasn't been sick beyond a little cold here and
there. Our pediatrician did say that he was probably catching things from
filthy shopping carts or eating at places like McDonalds and not wiping the
tray (which I do) I guess Im a germ freak and paranoid parent because my
daughter at 17 mos got rotovirus from a playplace and was in the hospital on
IV fluids. She lost so much weight (she went down to 16 lbs, at a year and a
half old) and was sick for days. Ever since then, I am freaky about it. I
dont care about them catchng a cold but you just don't know what else they
can pick up.

I don't really blame you. I don't think it's paranoid, either. If it
suits you, it really isn't anyone else's business.

Nan