not a hospital birth or a homebirth......

Old September 27th 05, 11:23 AM
Stormlady

Wow, congrats to you.

"arachne" wrote in message
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm

details:

i had been having random contractions since the 2nd trimester.
for the last 2 weeks i had been having false labour. i was pretty sick of

it
& getting a bit depressed.
yesterday morning i woke at 2am with contractions 2 -4 mins apart & 1 min
long, but very manageable.
hospital said come in when they were less manageable.
they became strong but at 5 mins apart so i headed in about 11am.
contractions had been doing nothing whatsoever. pretty disappointed.
sent away to walk around for hours.
came back at 2pm with contractions alot stronger. still no progress
whatsoever.
went home (35 mins from hospital) very frustrated & sad.
called doula to come over for support.
3.30pm doula arrives.
i hopped in the shower at about 4.15pm & the contractions became very
intense & very close together. i was now truly in labour.
everyone wanted to get back to the hospital as my active labour with DS1

was
only 50 minutes long (+ 2.5hrs pushing).
i eventually make it to the car after refilling the bags we half unpacked
when we came home & waiting for contractions to pass. didn't really fancy
labouring in the car, though. DS1 was with us as he was attending the

birth.
my doula goes in her car behind us.
get about 4km down the road just onto the freeway onramp when i started to
shake & i knew i was in transition. i didn't want to tell DH in case he
freaked out, but i didn't think it was likely we were getting to the
hospital.
about 1 minute later, i was yelling at DH to pull over as i was pushing.
DH pulls over on the tiny breakdown lane on the freeway, out comes DS2's
head, waters break (poor van!), i tell DH to look for the cord around the
neck, he says it is, my doula is suddenly there and i am pushing again &

out
he pops & she moves the cord.
looks like this active labour was 30 mins. and pushing, ummm, 2 minutes?
LOL.
through all of this i am totally calm, DH & the doula are pretty nervous,

if
not freaking out.
DH calls the ambulance, DS2 is ok but purpley & a bit in shock.
DS1 is excited, but a bit disappointed he was strapped in the back seat &
couldn't see the bubba come out.
ambulance arrives & DS2 & i get a ride to the hospital to push out the
placenta.
we both check out ok. i get a million stiches for pushing so fast. DS2 is
straight on the boob & breastfeeding like a pro. we get to leave at the
minimum 4 hours.

it's all so different to DS1's birth. at least i got all natural & full

term
this time. and i suppose a great story. DH (the vintage vw lover) is

totally
proud to have a son born in my vw van.
breastfeeding is great so far although, DS2 has this evil habit of biting

my
nipple when he is finished rather than unlatching.
DS1 absolutely adores his little brother & can't get enough of cuddling &
kissing him & helping with him.

whew! what a big day, yesterday.

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS1 20th august 2002

Old September 27th 05, 11:53 AM
Plissken

"arachne" wrote in message
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm

Congratulations!!!!! What an absolutely fabulous birthstory and way o go
keeping your cool!

Old September 27th 05, 11:57 AM
Dizzysmamma

"arachne" wrote in message
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm

Oh Congratulations! How exciting! Happy Birthday Little Guy! Happy
Birthday Mummy.

Angela

--
Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat."we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're
mad.""How do you know I'm mad?". said Alice."You must be," said the Cat,"or

Old September 27th 05, 12:25 PM
Linz

arachne wrote:
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

Congratulations, and WOW!

Old September 27th 05, 12:48 PM
Todd Gastaldo

in article , arachne at
ess wrote on 9/26/05 10:20 PM:

[...]

How cool that you were calm.

DH & the doula are pretty nervous, if
not freaking out.

I remember feeling nervous too.

DH calls the ambulance, DS2 is ok but purpley & a bit in shock.
DS1 is excited, but a bit disappointed he was strapped in the back seat &
couldn't see the bubba come out.
ambulance arrives & DS2 & i get a ride to the hospital to push out the
placenta.
we both check out ok. i get a million stiches for pushing so fast. DS2 is
straight on the boob & breastfeeding like a pro. we get to leave at the
minimum 4 hours.

it's all so different to DS1's birth. at least i got all natural & full term
this time. and i suppose a great story. DH (the vintage vw lover) is totally
proud to have a son born in my vw van.

I had a '70 poptop years ago.

breastfeeding is great so far although, DS2 has this evil habit of biting my
nipple when he is finished rather than unlatching.
DS1 absolutely adores his little brother & can't get enough of cuddling &
kissing him & helping with him.

whew! what a big day, yesterday.

Congratulations and welcome to the world to your new little one!

Todd

Old September 27th 05, 12:59 PM
Jo

That is so awesome, Elizabeth! I was thinking of you today while making
xmas cards, thinking, I wonder if she's in labour right now? It happens
that I was wrong!

Congratulations and welcome to your little man! Enjoy every moment!
(get some sleep, too...)

Love Jo (Mum to Will, 4 months old today)
Old September 27th 05, 02:10 PM
Nikki

arachne wrote:
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm

Wow, how amazing :-) Congratulations and welcome to the new baby boy!!

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old September 27th 05, 02:35 PM
hobbes

"arachne" wrote in message
it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm

Now there's a birth story for you! Congrats!! And glad to hear all are well,
though that's too bad about the stitches. Were you in the news?

I'll have to tell DH about the VW van thing--we just bought one a year ago
and he's in love. I bet he'd be ecstatic if #3 were born in it!

Now, go get some rest.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old September 27th 05, 03:25 PM
Leanne

it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

that is *way* cool

Congrats to you and your loved ones, I bet he is just beautiful!

Well done

Old September 27th 05, 03:25 PM
Rebecca Jo

"arachne" wrote:

it was a car birth! on the F3 freeway.

he is a boy and he arrived yesterday afternoon (26th sept) at 4.45pm
weight: 2960g or 6 pound 8 ounces
gestation: 37w3d
length: 50.5cm
head: 34cm